BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CSM 135i

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but i had this noise for over a year. It drove me crazy, i didnt even want to drive the car unless the windows were open or the music was loud. One day i was driving on the terrible NJ roads and hit a large pot hole. I assumed i cracked a wheel from how hard i hit but it actually got rid of the buzzing noise! A few months later it came back so i decided to try jolting it again. Using my palm i gave a firm hit right above the display where the cs would go in. Its worked! The noise went away immediately.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #24
GeneseeS4
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I'm Slow

I have the dreaded right rear speaker noise on my 2012 135I. Dealer of course can't figure it out so here surfing for answers. Above post seems to make sense. My issue started slowly and was originally affected by bumps and temperature. Originally wouldn't do in mornings when cold and would go away when I hit a good bump. Now its 100% of the time.

What is a CS and where exactly is it found?

Also, how would I remove the CS to see if there are lose wires?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #25
kingkevbo
Rep
Drives: E88 120d

Could he have meant CD? s is next to the d button on the keyboard? I think he is saying he hit the radio/cd unit itself with his hand
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #26
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkevbo View Post
Could he have meant CD? s is next to the d button on the keyboard? I think he is saying he hit the radio/cd unit itself with his hand
yeah i meant CD. i took the head unit out to check for loose connections but found none. i think its an internal issue in the head unit. so until i find a replacement that i would be happy with, ill continue with beating the shit out of my radio.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #27
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Harmon Kardon BT sound system with idrive.

1 of 3 times I get in the car, I get Bluetooth connectivity issues. The device connects but no sound/data is sent.

My solution:
I hit "radio" then "cd" and scroll back to the device and select my phone again. I have a feeling this is related to my iPhone 6 though. The Bluetooth seems to cause issues on other devices as well.

On top of that issue, I do get crackling noises once and a while as well. The crackling/Bluetooth cutting in and out is much less frequent so not a huge issue.

After putting in sport seats on Sunday, I have noticed a new buzzing noise. I had to disconnect the battery for the seat install. I got this new noise a day after the install when the car was sitting for a night. I also got a warning message "Increased battery Discharge!". So far, I've only noticed this new noise once, however, I'll monitor the situation for now as it seems to have disappeared.

It seems the electronics are very sensitive in these cars.

Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery losses anything other than the date/time?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #28
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

I found the source of my electrical buzzing sound and it’s not the speakers or stereo at all.

The passenger sport seat, seat belt latch/tensioner seems to have an issue somewhere with the wiring. When I wiggle the latch I am able to reproduce the sound, even when parked with the car off.

I'm likely going to swap the parts from my stock comfort seat and see if that resolves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #29
mangombia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport Package

Rear speakers constant buzzing, even when off

I just experienced this bizarre phenomena. My '11 135i N55 DCT had been completely off overnight. I had earlier this morning opened both doors to clean the windows, and the trunk to remove some dry-cleaning.

This morning, as I was preparing to leave for work, I opened the passenger door to put some stuff in the car when I got a loud, high pitched buzzing from both rear speakers. I tried locking and unlocking the car, no change. I tried starting the car, no change, except it abated as the car cranked to start, but once started, resumed. I put the top down, no change. I tried changing from radio to BT, to AUX, etc., no change. I drove it about 6-mile and back, and for a bit it became less loud, but still was there. I tried turning the radio off, no change. I got back home intending to scan for codes, and disconnect the battery, and when I turned the car off, it still buzzed.

I got on this forum to see if others had reported similar experience and came upon this thread. I took a 15-min. call from a client, and then finished reading this thread. All-in-all about 25-min. the car sat off. When I went back out with my cable & MHD tablet, the noise was gone. I scanned for codes in MHD and it reported none.

I'm going to drive it to a lunch meeting and will update with further results.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:13 AM   #30
Te82blue
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangombia View Post
I just experienced this bizarre phenomena. My '11 135i N55 DCT had been completely off overnight. I had earlier this morning opened both doors to clean the windows, and the trunk to remove some dry-cleaning.

This morning, as I was preparing to leave for work, I opened the passenger door to put some stuff in the car when I got a loud, high pitched buzzing from both rear speakers. I tried locking and unlocking the car, no change. I tried starting the car, no change, except it abated as the car cranked to start, but once started, resumed. I put the top down, no change. I tried changing from radio to BT, to AUX, etc., no change. I drove it about 6-mile and back, and for a bit it became less loud, but still was there. I tried turning the radio off, no change. I got back home intending to scan for codes, and disconnect the battery, and when I turned the car off, it still buzzed.

I got on this forum to see if others had reported similar experience and came upon this thread. I took a 15-min. call from a client, and then finished reading this thread. All-in-all about 25-min. the car sat off. When I went back out with my cable & MHD tablet, the noise was gone. I scanned for codes in MHD and it reported none.

We had an 2008 M3 that had serious static in the left rear speaker (car off or on) and replaced the amp only to find found out that the oem stereo had gone bad and had it sent out to get it serviced. It's difficult to tell if its the amp or the stereo since they both need to be plugged in to hear the noise.

My stereo did have this issue for awhile (base audio system) and I started to notice the letters on my lcd were getting washed out when it was hot inside the car. I would get loud high pitch wine when the car was off until certain systems shutdown after about 15 mins. There is still static there at low volume but not as much as before.. weird? Its been about 2 years since it was really horrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #31
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangombia View Post

What happened after lunch? Buzzing stopped?

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #32
andiez.ae
Registered
Rep
Drives: e82 123d

Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping this thread, it's the closest I found related to the problem my 123d is having with the sound system.

I think the video speaks for itself:

https://streamable.com/k0bnl

it started out of the blue, didn't stop with radio off / ignition off (only after a couple of minutes) and it didn't stop - now it isn't that intense but some of the speakers / tweeters don't have any sound at all. It's like playing music from a 2005 Nokia.

The loudest buzz comes from under the passenger seat, but it is present also in the passenger door.

Do you have any ideas on how to start fixing this issue?

Thank you!
Andreas
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #33
ratatushy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiez.ae View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping this thread, it's the closest I found related to the problem my 123d is having with the sound system.

I think the video speaks for itself:

https://streamable.com/k0bnl

it started out of the blue, didn't stop with radio off / ignition off (only after a couple of minutes) and it didn't stop - now it isn't that intense but some of the speakers / tweeters don't have any sound at all. It's like playing music from a 2005 Nokia.

The loudest buzz comes from under the passenger seat, but it is present also in the passenger door.

Do you have any ideas on how to start fixing this issue?

Thank you!
Andreas
Bump. Any updates? Been having the exact issue since October. Is it the head unit?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #34
guslealisla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I MSport Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatushy View Post
Bump. Any updates? Been having the exact issue since October. Is it the head unit?
I have been researching this for years. I ended up unplugging my amp because I couldn't handle the noise and drove like that for the last 2 years. I checked the fuses and removed the amp fuse and plugged the amp back in. Even with no fuse the sound persists so it is not the amp causing the issue. This verifies what many have said:

"The head unit is bad and will need replacement"

I'm saving up for one of the screen mounted apple carplay head units now.
      03-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #35
guslealisla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135I MSport Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by guslealisla View Post
I have been researching this for years. I ended up unplugging my amp because I couldn't handle the noise and drove like that for the last 2 years. I checked the fuses and removed the amp fuse and plugged the amp back in. Even with no fuse the sound persists so it is not the amp causing the issue. This verifies what many have said:

"The head unit is bad and will need replacement"

I'm saving up for one of the screen mounted apple carplay head units now.
I ordered a replacement head unit from ECS just now, I will update my findings here shortly after I install it. I found out that the dash mounted car play head units use the standard unit to project the sound.