BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Terrible luck lately, details inside, insight appreciated

All,

I will try to keep this as short so people actually read it and respond. I had some small body repair to do on my car (rear quarter and rear bumper) also added the performance rocker panels. The body shop that did the work advised the car would be ready on Friday.

On Friday morning they called me stating the car wouldn't start. I thought this was odd as the car had the battery replaced less than 2 months ago at BMW. He mentioned he didn't want to mess with it because of the Jb4 he noticed was installed and the wires near the battery terminal. I didn't want to tow the car directly to BMW because naturally they could void the warranty over the Jb4, so in a pickle he said he had a person who worked on BMW's that could take a look at the car and let us know what he thought the issue was.

The car supposedly started late Friday - and was going to get towed again yesterday. I got a call this morning stating the car would not start, and to make matters worse they say they believe the JB4 wires has some involvement on all this. Now the wires that connect to the Jb4 harness are brown in color and look burnt. The car absolutely will not start, it doesn't even turn over.

I have been without my pride and joy for 2 weeks now, and in a worse place then when I started. I'm hoping if it's the starter that my guy can take off the Jb4/FF wires and we can tow this thing to BMW for the wires, but how on earth can that possibly be explained?!!?

WTF? i had the car towed to my trusted BMW person (which in hindsight i should have done) today but I'm expecting the absolute worse.

The body shop BMW person said he thinks the starter is shot, but my car hasn't had issues starting. The question is, can a bad starter cause an electrical issue or what could the bodyshop have possibly done to cause this? or could the Jb4 have actually caused this even though it has been on my car for a year!

Help!
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Doubt it's the starter. Body shop probably did something since you say the car was working when it went into their possession. Obvious question, but does the car have electrical power?
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Rather obviously, no one reading this can tell you what actually happened based upon what you have written.

Is this a body shop you have had prior experience with, or that you trust based upon recommendations by trusted people you personally know? That might help to answer the question of any culpability on the part of the body shop, but that may all be water under the bridge.

You have a mess that is largely of your own creation and which illustrates the problems that can come when one modifies a performance car still under warranty. Since you obviously do not seem to be someone who understands these modifications well enough, yourself, to dissect the situation, that leaves you with several choices, none very good.

My choice, were I in your situation, would be to find a good independent mechanic who doesn't work for your BMW dealer but who understands this car and understands the mods you have put into it, to look at it at your own expense and to diagnose what the fuck is going on. Be prepared to pay this person a couple of hundred dollars to sort this out.

Once sorted out, then you can decide what is your least painful way of extricating yourself from the situation while retaining your manufacturer's warranty, if possible, and then do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I had an electrical related issue after having my car in the body shop for minor paint work. I had some scuffs on the rear bumper cover and diffuser. My car was running absolutely fine before dropping it off. Upon getting the car back on the way home, I started to get all sorts of alert messages pop up on the iDrive screen. Took the car to the BMW dealership that I had my body work done. They checked the key for any faults and couldn't find anything logged. I drive off with my car and was told to bring it back in if the problem comes back again. Upon getting home, I'm getting the alert messages again. I decide to the car back to the dealership. On the way there, I get the alert messages in addition to the car on a lift icon. Then the whole gauge cluster lights up like a Christmas tree then the whole gauge cluster goes totally dead. No lights, no RPM or speed reading on the gauges, no nothing. Even the iDrive display went blank. But the car was still running. After a long few seconds everything came back.

The dealership mechanic spent days trying to replicate and track down the problem. Then one day he got a break and the car acted up the way I described it (fortunately I also took pictures of what was going on so they can see I wasn't making it up). They were able to track it down to a bad junction box. When they popped the junction box out it was full of water. They checked around the trunk and couldn't find any signs of moisture or where the water could have come from. I suspect the water came from the body work done.

Just something to consider.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like that body shop messed something up. Did they have to do any welding?

Also wondering IF you had the battery cable recall done?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:23 AM   #6
Popjunkie
Registered
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

My '12 135i E88 is completely stock, and one fine day (while still under warranty) the car just didn't start. The dealership confirmed it wasn't the battery, or the starter motor (the latter was replaced anyway). Turns out it was some kind of electrical connector to the starter which they had to replace. It's run fine since.

It never had any issue starting prior to that.

Kind of sounds like your problem, so maybe it wasn't your bodyshop guys that are to blame.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Definitely sounds like the body shop screwed something up. Which side did they do quarter panel work on? If it's the battery side then.....
Sounds like something got shorted out
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

the body work was on the driver side qtr near dog area and the rear bumper, naturally they have to take the tail lights off to remove the rear bumper. the car has power now, it just wont start. I hope to know more from my trusted BMW guy but I can't help to think that something fishy happened, what could have possibly happened to cause a short is beyond me.

To the person that said this is self inflicted - I suppose anytime you modify your car with aftermarket parts you run the risk, but currently there is no evidence that the JB4 could be in anyway responsible for this, this was just the body shops thoughts because the flex fuel wires looked out of place to them, anyway!

The plan is to diagnose the issue, and possibly the cause, determine what needs to be taken off the car and tow it to BMW for a warranty claim. The body shop said if my guy is honest and there is evidence that this happened by something they did or indirectly did he would cover it if the warranty did not, lets see what happens when push comes to shove.

Man this car has turned into an absolute headache overnight.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Body shops do a lot of disassembly and reassembly. That involves breaking and remaking electrical connections. That should not hurt anything but if they do it incorrectly you could short something out. I'm not familiar with how JB4s are wired but if the wires are burnt, too much current went through them. I wouldn't think that could be the JB4, maybe something else on the circuit got shorted? If the JB4 shorted, it will require replacement.
      09-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Mernardi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Pull the JB4 off and see if it starts. Somehow my JB4 harnesses got corrosion on the pins about a year ago. Car would not start. A new harness fixed all issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

A good reason to never mod before the warranty is up. Unless it's a BMW mod.
But, whatever the issue ... the car was OK when you brought it to them and now it's not. they did something...wrong.

FYI - my starter went at about 60K. They will wear out and fail.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #12
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrilla135 View Post

To the person that said this is self inflicted - I suppose anytime you modify your car with aftermarket parts you run the risk, but currently there is no evidence that the JB4 could be in anyway responsible for this, this was just the body shops thoughts because the flex fuel wires looked out of place to them, anyway!
I didn't mean to be as harsh as you took it. My point was that the car is still under warranty, a warranty that you have essentially voided by putting those parts in there. Had you done this after the warranty was over, it wouldn't have mattered from that standpoint.

Now that you have this problem, you can't take the car as is to the dealer to sort it out, even though you are under warranty, because if they see what you did to the car, then your warranty may be over, for good.

That was my point.

I'm experiencing something somewhat similar not of my own making. My 1M had a Lojack or similar device put into it by the former owner. I didn't know it was there and took the car in when the battery died. The car is still under warranty for 3 more weeks, but I'm having to cough up around $1250 to cover the diagnosis, removal of the device, repair to electrical wiring, and new battery. BMW doesn't cover problems caused by modifications, and it is you, the owner, who has to prove that what you did to the car was not responsible for whatever problem you go to the dealer to have fixed.

good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mernardi
Pull the JB4 off and see if it starts. Somehow my JB4 harnesses got corrosion on the pins about a year ago. Car would not start. A new harness fixed all issues.
+1. Remove the JB4, and try again. I have no idea why the body shop would be poking around the ECU since the work was on the rear. Process of elimination though... Pull the JB4, if it starts then the JB4 was damaged somehow. If it doesn't, it's likely not the issue.

Good luck

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

small update:

my guy looked at the car, said for sure the starter. he can't speak to the wires looking brown/burnt but he wonders if when trying to jump the car the bodyshop might have crossed up the wires and caused a short.

luckily my guy knows a few people at the bmw dealer nearby, so the car is getting towed tomorrow, we'll be taking the JB4 off before but any of the stuff I have on the car won't be a problem.

so doesnt look like the bodyshop did anything just possibly made it worse by not jumping it right
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Just a side discussion on warranties. Just because you have aftermarket/performance parts on your car, doesn't mean the entire warranty would be voided if you go in for service. The dealership can deny warranty coverage for repairs resulting from an aftermarket/performance modification. But they certainly cannot void the warranty in its entirety. There is a specific law covering this called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This is to prevent dealerships or manufacturers from voiding warranties on parts/systems unrelated to the actual failure caused by an aftermarket part. An example of this is what the OP has done...the JB4. It's unreasonable for the dealer to deny coverage for say the power mirrors going out. These are unrelated.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just a side discussion on warranties. Just because you have aftermarket/performance parts on your car, doesn't mean the entire warranty would be voided if you go in for service. The dealership can deny warranty coverage for repairs resulting from an aftermarket/performance modification. But they certainly cannot void the warranty in its entirety. There is a specific law covering this called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This is to prevent dealerships or manufacturers from voiding warranties on parts/systems unrelated to the actual failure caused by an aftermarket part. An example of this is what the OP has done...the JB4. It's unreasonable for the dealer to deny coverage for say the power mirrors going out. These are unrelated.
No doubt you are correct, legally speaking, however being correct and $1.50 will get you a copy of the local paper. From what I have read in these and other forums, BMW dealerships are all over the map when it comes to covering warranty issues and their general level of customer service to owners. You could be 110% "right," but still have a fight on your hands. With enough perseverance and maybe a lawyer's letter, you will probably get your due, but does anyone seriously want to have to go through that sort of thing if it isn't necessary during the warranty period?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
No doubt you are correct, legally speaking, however being correct and $1.50 will get you a copy of the local paper. From what I have read in these and other forums, BMW dealerships are all over the map when it comes to covering warranty issues and their general level of customer service to owners. You could be 110% "right," but still have a fight on your hands. With enough perseverance and maybe a lawyer's letter, you will probably get your due, but does anyone seriously want to have to go through that sort of thing if it isn't necessary during the warranty period?
I didn't say it's going to be easy in many cases. But many people that modify their cars just cave in to the dealer without fighting them with knowledge of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. But I posted my response as what was said about having the entire vehicle warranty being voided if one mod was found on the car is just simply incorrect.

As an aside, it really pays to have a good relationship with the service writer/SA at the dealership. This person can make the difference between having an easy time getting work done without question or having to fight the process all the way through. I found an SA who also had a 135i that he modded too. When I ran into some issues where there could have been some finger pointing, he took care of me and this wasn't even dealing with aftermarket mods. My mode of operation when I deal with service departments is to quickly find a service adviser who I get along with and will be willing to go to bat for me. It has served me well for many years. And I make sure the service adviser is taken care of by talking to his/her manager about the great service I get from him/her.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #18
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

UPDATE:

I took a look at the car during the day just now - the burnt wires in question when you remove the cover are the 2 thick red cables that are connected to the starter? Do those go all the way back to the battery? I guess that is slightly better than it being related to the engine wiring harness no? Could the starter failing have caused that?
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #19
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

i believe this is the cable that fried:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33....0L/ES2210701/
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #20
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

final update:

so I get the car back tomorrow. It's done. It turns out the starter must of died in the body shop, what luck eh? The big question is how my positive battery terminal cable fried!! The battery positive cable that runs from hood to trunk the insulation was torn through and looked burnt. That wasn't covered under CPO but the guy that does my aftermarket mods has a great relationship with the shop foreman and they ran the cable for free I just had to pay for the cable.

I've had 3 different people tell me they jumped the car wrong or let the ends meet on the jumper cables to create that voltage to do that.. anyone else here understand or have any theories on how the positive battery cable could fry?

turns out nothing with the JB4, or flex wires or anything.. only the body shop manager freaking me out doing his best to misdirect .. car went through so much unneeded nonsense and towing had they not misinformed me.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

It sounds like somehow the end of the positive cable connected to the battery shorted out against the motor. Like if someone left a wrench touching the connector and the body. I would think that to melt the cable, it would take more then a few seconds. (I melted one on an old car back 30 years ago.)
Appreciate 0