BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxbcds View Post
You can install IGO or Tomtom if you want.
Hmm thats an idea hey! Thanks

@flo - (And apologies for this) I can't quite seem to understand the whole flip up housing fully..

From what I understood in your original post, you said you purchased the flip up case from eBay?

You say "I kept the original circuit board so the flap up monitor will open and close automatically with the ignition/turn off."
  • What is this original circuit board? Is it the circuit board for the motor that controls this flip up and down motion? Does it come with the flip-up case from eBay? So that is flip case + motor + circuit correct?

I noticed (on your babybmw thread) that you said "The screen is from the original Mio C728. I separated the Mio screen from the Mio case and the OEM BMW screen from the BMW case and put the Mio screen in the BMW case."
  • Surely no screen comes with the BMW flip up case? Do you mean you disconnected the screen and board from the Mio and fixed it in the flip-up case? housing?

Sorry for all the questions, but as i'm sure you can understand, if i'm (and any other forum readers are) going to go ahead with this then I need to make sure of a few things! And i'm sure if I could understand german then it would have helped

Thanks for you patience! Really appreciate the assistance!

Last edited by aacabriolet; 08-13-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
fxbcds
Rep
Drives: e87

aacabriolet:

Sure the screen and the original circuit board come with flip-up case from eBay.
I have bought two, and they come with all these things.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #25
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

mcflow,

Nice looking job and a lot of functionality for the price.

Jim
      08-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #26
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
aacabriolet:

Sure the screen and the original circuit board come with flip-up case from eBay.
Oh right! These are second-hand ones right? Like could be from a scrapyard?

I need to keep an eye out for one!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #27
mcflow
Rep
Drives: 3-door Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
Hmm thats an idea hey! Thanks

@flo - (And apologies for this) I can't quite seem to understand the whole flip up housing fully..

From what I understood in your original post, you said you purchased the flip up case from eBay?

You say "I kept the original circuit board so the flap up monitor will open and close automatically with the ignition/turn off."
  • What is this original circuit board? Is it the circuit board for the motor that controls this flip up and down motion? Does it come with the flip-up case from eBay? So that is flip case + motor + circuit correct?

Yes that's right!

I noticed (on your babybmw thread) that you said "The screen is from the original Mio C728. I separated the Mio screen from the Mio case and the OEM BMW screen from the BMW case and put the Mio screen in the BMW case."
  • Surely no screen comes with the BMW flip up case? Do you mean you disconnected the screen and board from the Mio and fixed it in the flip-up case? housing?

Yes! Originally the BMW flip up comes with a SHARP 6,5" Screen, but you can't use this one because you need special converters and stuff to feed the video-signal to the screen. I am selling the SHARP screen on ebay at the moment since I replaced the SHARP screen with the MIO screen, the Mio curcuit board + the BMW curcuit board that was in the flip up case and is responsible for the up and down movement of the whole case. The Can Bus system controls the flip up, so you need the 4 pins that it is going to work. It won't work only with "+" and "-".

Sorry for all the questions, but as i'm sure you can understand, if i'm (and any other forum readers are) going to go ahead with this then I need to make sure of a few things! And i'm sure if I could understand german then it would have helped

Thanks for you patience! Really appreciate the assistance!

I am glad that I can help. Take a look in the other thread here click - this is fxbcds's post with a bunch of pictures (56K attention!!!)

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #28
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflow View Post
I am glad that I can help. Take a look in the other thread here click - this is fxbcds's post with a bunch of pictures (56K attention!!!)

cheers
Thank you very much for your time !!!

Cant wait to do this!!

Speaking to my local BMW parts dealer to see how much he wants for a new part (i know it will be expensive, but just want to see just how expensive )

Then i will search scrapyards and eBay for a part when i finally decide to take the plunge!

Will probably substitute the Mio for another device simply because it will be cheaper here in SA!

Thx again
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #29
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
amazing work, almost looks oem!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #30
fxbcds
Rep

Quote:

cheers
It is not mine, it´s SrMenDi´s post.
You can also see this one:
http://www.bmwfaq.com/f31/fotos-reeq...s-sony-414184/

There you can see the Sony NV-82 installed. That´s the one I have now.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #31
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
aacabriolet:

Hey man!

Your thread and walkthrough looks great! But the only problem is that it's in Spanish!

Google translate helped a little bit though!

Are there any Spanish people here that would be willing to properly translate that post? Pleeeaase!?

Also a question: You say you have to cut the dashboard?

If i have the 2009 storage compartment bin in place of where the CID needs to go, can I not just simply remove that and there will be enough space for the casing?

Thank you

EDIT: I see it's not yours But could you perhaps answer the cutting of the dash question?

Thanks for the other link too!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
mcflow
Rep

Quote:
Hey man!

Your thread and walkthrough looks great! But the only problem is that it's in Spanish!

Are there any Spanish people here that would be willing to properly translate that post? Pleeeaase!?

Also a question: You say you have to cut the dashboard? No not at all

If i have the 2009 storage compartment bin in place of where the CID needs to go, can I not just simply remove that and there will be enough space for the casing?

That's a straight forward swap

Thank you
@fxbcds

sorry, I thought that was yours. But anyway it's great to combine all information in one thread.

I took a better video some minutes ago - hope y'all enjoy it

cya

Last edited by mcflow; 08-13-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #33
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
@fxbcds

sorry, I thought that was yours. But anyway it's great so combine all information in one thread.

I took a better video some minutes ago - hope y'all enjoy it

cya
Thanks! Love the videos!

Could you possibly take one of the navigation doing it's thing next time you can be bothered to take a vid? thanks! want to see how maps etc look properly

And is it possible to turn the irritating "click" sound OFF!!??

And for interest sake, where did you mount the antenna for GPS and TV Tuner?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #34
fxbcds
Rep

Quote:
Hey man!

Also a question: You say you have to cut the dashboard?

Thank you

EDIT: I see it's not yours But could you perhaps answer the cutting of the dash question?

Thanks for the other link too!
Of course I can help you and answer your questions.

If you have the compartment bin in place of where the CID needs to go, it is just remove it and place the other one. You don´t need to do anything.

I didn´t have the hole, so I had to cut it...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #35
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Of course I can help you and answer your questions.

If you have the compartment bin in place of where the CID needs to go, it is just remove it and place the other one. You don´t need to do anything.

I didn´t have the hole, so I had to cut it...
YES!!!!!! I was hoping it would be like this!

THANK YOU! Made my day

How do you think your Sony GPS device compares to the Mio device in the OP's 1er?

Would I be able to do this with any device? (provided its 6.5" - 7" screen size?)

Don't want to buy an expensive GPS, dismantle, and then find that this won't be possible.. Like the screen connector wont work or something.. Where do you guys draw power from as well? Got so many questions I want to ask!!

Also, in the Spanish BMWFAQ thread, he dismantled all the chips and stuff from the motherboard of the Mio. How did he reassemble it after he took the casing off of the Mio? Was waiting for that step but couldn't seem to find it!?
Did i miss something?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #36
mcflow
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Love the videos!

Could you possibly take one of the navigation doing it's thing next time you can be bothered to take a vid? thanks! want to see how maps etc look properly

And is it possible to turn the irritating "click" sound OFF!!??

And for interest sake, where did you mount the antenna for GPS and TV Tuner?
On these pics you see the antenna for DVB-t. The cables running from the roof, behind the right A-pillar through the dashboard

right into here:

And there is the GPS-Antenna mounted on the MIO curcuit from factory.

@aacabriolet also - i already answered the compartment question too - take a look in the quotation - I answered RED
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #37
fxbcds
Rep

My answer

Quote:
YES!!!!!! I was hoping it would be like this!

THANK YOU! Made my day

How do you think your Sony GPS device compares to the Mio device in the OP's 1er?
Well, Mio has more possibilities, you can instal TDT and the screen is 7".
My Sony is easier to use, you don´t have to dismantle it cause it is 4,8", so it is perfect.
The problem with the Sony is that Sony´s GPS program is crap, so I have installed IGO8 on it. Now I just use it as a GPS, but we are working at bmwfaq to install it a new software with more options like MP3, videos... (take a look: http://www.bmwfaq.com/f31/tutorial-p...1/index13.html
or
http://www.bmwfaq.com/f31/tutorial-p...81/index7.html

Another thing is that you can buy the Sony on ebay (80 € aprox). Mio is about 280 €

Would I be able to do this with any device? (provided its 6.5" - 7" screen size?)
Be careful, cause maybe you do not have enough space. We now that Mio and Sony are great, but we have not tested another one.

Don't want to buy an expensive GPS, dismantle, and then find that this won't be possible.. Like the screen connector wont work or something.. Where do you guys draw power from as well? Got so many questions I want to ask!!
I have connected it to the lighter conection.

Also, in the Spanish BMWFAQ thread, he dismantled all the chips and stuff from the motherboard of the Mio. How did he reassemble it after he took the casing off of the Mio? Was waiting for that step but couldn't seem to find it!?
Did i miss something?
Ask mcflow...
Thanks
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #38
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
On these pics you see the antenna for DVB-t. The cables running from the roof, behind the right A-pillar through the dashboard

right into here:

And there is the GPS-Antenna mounted on the MIO curcuit from factory.

@aacabriolet also - i already answered the compartment question too - take a look in the quotation - I answered RED
Thanks for the pics! Looks great!

Now.. The only problem is I have the convertible 120i.. Think it would still be wise to mount the antennas there?

Also, where do you draw power from to power the Mio?

Quote:
My answer
Cheers
Thanks! Answers some of my questions

I like the fact that you don't have to dismantle the Sony one!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #39
mcflow
Rep

I think the sony looks awesome too

Well I think you can also use another place to install the antennas - e.g. behind the trim of the a-pillar or in the dashboard.

@fxbcds

can't you just install Miopocket?

I installed it too, but I didn't like it that much, because the Mio screen was too big so I couldn't see everything when the screen was mounted in the flip up case. The main menu of the Mio looks even better and matches the amber interior lights from BMW.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

mcflow - the mio runs on Windows right?

So it would be easy to import the South African maps on there?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #41
StuartM
Private
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Coupé

McFlow, you have done a great job there, and it fits and looks like it works perfectly. I congratulate you on a perfect job done, you must be very pleased with it

I have thought long and hard on this, but I cant justify trying this myself as my car has under 300 miles on it, and my electronic skills are in no way as good as yours.

Can I please ask your advise about Sat Navs though, as you seem to know your stuff?

What I would like is a portable Sat Nav device, that would sit and fit in the dashboard cubby nicely, but with the standard non-motorised flap.I have the one that you open up yourself. I would then run the power cable down the dashboard, as I only use the sat nav when touring europe. It would need to be able to navigate around France/Germany/Switzerland/Austria, and be reliable. On occasion I have been stuck in places waiting for boats etc, so the ability to read movies that I have on a SD card would be fantastic, I would have no need for Digital TV as I only speak and read English.

Only the TV versions of the Mio seem to be able to play movies, can any of the less expensive ones also do this?

I'd appreciate any help with this, as I dont really want to buy a device that wont do the job or doesnt fit nicely.

Thanks,

Stuart
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #42
mcflow
Rep

Quote:
mcflow - the mio runs on Windows right?

So it would be easy to import the South African maps on there?
Hey,

yes you're right - it runs with Windows CE. I guess so, but I really can't tell you if they have SA maps I only know that they have Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM View Post
McFlow, you have done a great job there, and it fits and looks like it works perfectly. I congratulate you on a perfect job done, you must be very pleased with it

I have thought long and hard on this, but I cant justify trying this myself as my car has under 300 miles on it, and my electronic skills are in no way as good as yours.

Can I please ask your advise about Sat Navs though, as you seem to know your stuff?

What I would like is a portable Sat Nav device, that would sit and fit in the dashboard cubby nicely, but with the standard non-motorised flap.I have the one that you open up yourself. I would then run the power cable down the dashboard, as I only use the sat nav when touring europe. It would need to be able to navigate around France/Germany/Switzerland/Austria, and be reliable. On occasion I have been stuck in places waiting for boats etc, so the ability to read movies that I have on a SD card would be fantastic, I would have no need for Digital TV as I only speak and read English.

Only the TV versions of the Mio seem to be able to play movies, can any of the less expensive ones also do this?

I'd appreciate any help with this, as I dont really want to buy a device that wont do the job or doesnt fit nicely.

Thanks,

Stuart
Thanks mate

well I am not really into the sat nav systems - I just saw the thread of the spanish guys and thought - you need to have that

But we have some users in our german forum where they installed some other sat navs in the storage compartment in the dashboard.

Why don't you want to buy the original BMW Navi portable (Pro)?

Other possibilities:

Navigon in storage bin

Medion GoPal P4410 in storage bin

I am sorry that I couldn't give you a better answer...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #43
fxbcds
Rep

Quote:
I think the sony looks awesome too

@fxbcds

can't you just install Miopocket?

I installed it too, but I didn't like it that much, because the Mio screen was too big so I couldn't see everything when the screen was mounted in the flip up case. The main menu of the Mio looks even better and matches the amber interior lights from BMW.

cheers
I know that SrMenDi (the one that created the idea of the MIO), has installed IGO8, and he says that it works great.

I have never used MioPocket, so I can´t tell you
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #44
robertchien
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Hi mcflow... i have all things... the flip up monitor... the conectors.. but i do not know where and how i must plug to the stereo.... pls help!! thks
Appreciate 0