BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #23
pindour
Rep
Drives: x5

I want to make a Czech language in CIC, can someone help me please?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
hadess18
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

updates!

Hello guys! It has been a while since the last post here, but i am comming now with some updates.

i have changed the hdd withe an 128gb Transcend SSD. i did make a clone with acronis true image, sector by sector like suggested here, i did not modify the partitions in any way, but unfortunately it didn'work.
The system starts, it shows navigaton loading....and after some moments it appears the message' Function not available'

the music collection appears sometimes, sometimes doesn't. i haven't been able to find a sollution to make it run.

Right now i have put back the old hdd. Any ideas, in case someone is still interested in this subject?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #25
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport LCI Manual

Ok time to revive this thread as i'll shortly be trying to clone my CIC hard drive. Initially I'll be trying to clone it to a 128Gb SanDisk mSata drive and then put this into a PATA/mSata caddy.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb...s-81k-iops-max

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom...-ide-ssd-drive

If that doesn't work then I have an old PATA ide laptop hard drive I can use, the goal primarily is to have a working copy of my original CIC hard drive that I can use in case of hard drive failure. If the SSD works then there may be speed benefits and I can then look at trying to expand the music partition using the process described in this thread. Just got to wait for parts to arrive and time to do it. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #26
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I bought two spare drives, identical to the original ones in the NAV. I would like to clone the original in case the drive fails.
      02-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #27
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Parts have arrived, just need to find some time this weekend or next week.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #28
Dynamic1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I was wondering how long these drives will last, and how long replacements will be available?

I can see this in 5 years...Sorry, your disk has failed and no replacements are available. We can replace your complete CIC with the current version for just $3,000.

Since they cost less than $140 maybe I should buy a spare?
Close! Mine failed at about 7 years. I have a CCC (someone know what that one is?) instead and my navigation just happened to start spitting out a disc read error on my cross country drive. I was quoted $807 for the part alone (oh and plus $500 deposit for the part conditional on a 1 for 1 swap). I had tried another thread's suggestion of burning a copy of my navigation disc with no luck, the fault remains.

Any progress?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #29
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post
Close! Mine failed at about 7 years. I have a CCC (someone know what that one is?) instead and my navigation just happened to start spitting out a disc read error on my cross country drive. I was quoted $807 for the part alone (oh and plus $500 deposit for the part conditional on a 1 for 1 swap). I had tried another thread's suggestion of burning a copy of my navigation disc with no luck, the fault remains.

Any progress?
Yours is the older DVD based NAV. The DVD drive in my wife's 328xiT failed, fortunately while the warranty was still in effect. Some people have had success with a CD/DVD cleaner. This device looks like a CD, but has little brushes embedded. When you put it in the drive it will clean the lens on the laser. They are inexpensive, so it might be worth a try. Others have disassembled the drive and replaced he laser. That project is beyond the capabilities of most people.

My NAV is the newer CIC that is hard disk based. It is now six years old so I should clone it before it dies.
      03-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
Dynamic1
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Yes, I forgot to mention that after some searching I was able to locate a drive cleaner. I didn't have any luck there either. I've been looking to see if anyone has posted a DIY that would help me either swap it myself or repair it. C'est la vie... I'll just keep using my iPhone/Google maps!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #31
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Dynamic1,

There are lots of DVD repair details here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=624428
http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/all...-nav-unit.html
      03-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #32
Dynamic1
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Awesome thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #33
topherhead
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
Parts have arrived, just need to find some time this weekend or next week.
Did you have any success with this? I'm about to try the same thing in my 2011. My game plan is:

Pull drive, sector by sector clone to new drive.
Test new drive.
Use Partition Logic to expand the music partition
http://diggfreeware.com/partition-lo...ition-manager/
It claims it can work with QNX partitions, that remains to be seen.

Retest new drive. Then start coding stuff into oblivion.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:03 AM   #34
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherhead View Post
Did you have any success with this? I'm about to try the same thing in my 2011. My game plan is:

Test new drive.

Plan seems perfect. If Partition Logic can handle it will be the real trick. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #35
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Test new drive.

Short answer is no it didn't, it appeared that the CIC didn't see the new drive after I cloned it. So either the cloning software didn't work or it doesn't like the adpator. Both scenarios could have been true but i didn't have time to trouble shoot it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #36
topherhead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
Short answer is no it didn't, it appeared that the CIC didn't see the new drive after I cloned it. So either the cloning software didn't work or it doesn't like the adpator. Both scenarios could have been true but i didn't have time to trouble shoot it.
Uh oh. I bought that exact same adapter too... Mine isn't in yet though. On a related note, I can't seem to find instructions on how to remove the hard drive anywhere. Do you have a link you could point me to? I found a video for removing a non-iDrive system and I imagine it's similar? I'm not even 100% sure where the hard drive is located.

Also if this doesn't work then I think the obvious solution is to just get a CF card. You can get similar adapters, they're readily available (though a bit more expensive per GB) and since they're already IDE/DMA there's no wizardry that needs to be done by the adapter. I'm pretty convinced that the PATA > mSATA adapter is sorcery because I've never seen something that does that before lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #37
jimborae
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Uh oh. I bought that exact same adapter too... Mine isn't in yet though. On a related note, I can't seem to find instructions on how to remove the hard drive anywhere. Do you have a link you could point me to? I found a video for removing a non-iDrive system and I imagine it's similar? I'm not even 100% sure where the hard drive is located.

Also if this doesn't work then I think the obvious solution is to just get a CF card. You can get similar adapters, they're readily available (though a bit more expensive per GB) and since they're already IDE/DMA there's no wizardry that needs to be done by the adapter. I'm pretty convinced that the PATA > mSATA adapter is sorcery because I've never seen something that does that before lol.
The hard drive is easy to take out and there are guides online but I dont have one to hand but you basically remove the facia of the stereo and dash and you see the stereo and below that is the cover to the hardrive unit. I'll see if I can find a guide later when I get home from work.

As for the adaptor it worked fine when I tested it in an old laptop but wasn't detected when inside a IDE to USB caddy so it would seem it only works in certain situations.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #38
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Curious about this myself, found this, might give some info or ideas:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8140288
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #39
deakins
Registered
Rep
Drives: e91

Hi Guys, i made a HowTo for changing the CIC Partition Size but its in German

http://www.e60-forum.de/thread.php?sid=&postid=497535#
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #40
topherhead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakins View Post
Hi Guys, i made a HowTo for changing the CIC Partition Size but its in German

http://www.e60-forum.de/thread.php?sid=&postid=497535#

Thanks for the tutorial! But some questions...

So I rammed my head into a few issues and now I'm ALMOST there.

On a side note for everyone else, at least with that adapter, the ssd you use MATTERS. I was trying to use a crucial 256GB msata ssd and it gave me all kinds of hell. In deakins tutorial he uses an 840 Evo drive so I picked an 850 Evo drive up and it worked fine.

So now I'm at another issue. After cloning I was able to get the car to look at the new SSD and it all seemed to work great, but after extending the partition via gparted and then formatting from the QNX 6.5 vm my car just didn't seem to see the drive at all. The Nav wouldn't come up or anything.

I did notice something interesting though. While fdisk reported all partitions with no issues. If I tried to mount the QNX formatted partitions, Ubuntu said they were corrupted while they worked fine in QNX (I created a folder on them). And vice versa, the "working" ones that work in the car and in ubuntu show up as corrupted in QNX but work fine in Ubuntu (I didn't try writing to them because I don't know how solid the driver is)

This occurs in both drives including the original from the car that is completely unmodified and working.

Is there something I missed? It's possible something got lost in translation from your tutorial but I don't really see what it could be.

THanks!

EDIT: Oh, another thing that I should mention. I don't think it matters but for me the drives showed up as umass0t77.x instead of hd0t77.x I'm not sure why yours showed up as local disks while mine showed up as usb mass storage but I figure it might be relevant?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #41
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Oh, another thing that I should mention. I don't think it matters but for me the drives showed up as umass0t77.x instead of hd0t77.x I'm not sure why yours showed up as local disks while mine showed up as usb mass storage but I figure it might be relevant?
I found that if the USB adapter/drive is attached during boot, it shows up at hd10, otherwise if you attach it after QNX has booted, it shows as umass0. It didn't seem to have an impact.

FYI, I too tried cloning (using many tools) to an SSD and so far haven't had any luck. I'm getting some different partition tables depending on what program I use, but in the end I assume a dd (bit-for-bit clone) should work. Though I've been trying to validate by using the QNX VM. So your point about them working in Ubuntu and the car and not QNX is where I'm headed next.

Also, what model is your car? I'm a 2011 E90 built 9/10. I've seen some threads online (for other cars) that indicate a cutoff near 2011 where the new nav systems use encrypted file systems (search for myGig). Don't know if BMW went that route...

Here's the other thread in E90 post that I'm working on too.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=14
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #42
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Success mounting the file systems in Ubuntu and QNX. The trick is mount them as QNX6 file systems and not QNX4 even though the partition table lists type 77.

In the QNX VM I had to mount them as read-only:

# mount -r -t qnx6 /dev/umass0t77.1 /mount/cic-1
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #43
topherhead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
Also, what model is your car? I'm a 2011 E90 built 9/10. I've seen some threads online (for other cars) that indicate a cutoff near 2011 where the new nav systems use encrypted file systems (search for myGig). Don't know if BMW went that route...
Hmm, that is a bit concerning. But since I was able to look at the filesystem and even copy things off I'm fairly certain that I don't have an encrypted partition... though maybe an encrypted boot volume or something funky like that? I also have a 2011 E90 but mine was built in 08/10 (On that note I never noticed this was in the 1 series forum )

I more or less gave up trying this and am now going down the route of doing a combox retrofit (which looks freaking AWESOME). But I would definitely still be interested in replacing that drive with an SSD, maybe just a CF card or something. IDK. So you're saying just to use QNX 6 partitions everywhere? Maybe just format is as a QNX6 partition instead of trying to use 4, I don't think I thought to try that... I'm a bit hazy, can you create QNX partitions in Ubuntu or no? I forget. Let me know if you make any breakthroughs! I returned the SSD I was trying to use but I'm not above "renting" another one if i can get it to work
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #44
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, that is a bit concerning. But since I was able to look at the filesystem and even copy things off I'm fairly certain that I don't have an encrypted partition... though maybe an encrypted boot volume or something funky like that? I also have a 2011 E90 but mine was built in 08/10 (On that note I never noticed this was in the 1 series forum )

I more or less gave up trying this and am now going down the route of doing a combox retrofit (which looks freaking AWESOME). But I would definitely still be interested in replacing that drive with an SSD, maybe just a CF card or something. IDK. So you're saying just to use QNX 6 partitions everywhere? Maybe just format is as a QNX6 partition instead of trying to use 4, I don't think I thought to try that... I'm a bit hazy, can you create QNX partitions in Ubuntu or no? I forget. Let me know if you make any breakthroughs! I returned the SSD I was trying to use but I'm not above "renting" another one if i can get it to work
FYI, more details on this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158888

I can also confirm my file system is not encrypted. I was attempting to mount them as QNX4, but they are in fact QNX6 file systems. I can read them in both QNX Neutrino VM and Ubuntu/Debian without issue. Ubuntu/Debian gives me the option of mounting them as read-write, but I didn't attempt any writes.

The best tool I found was to use the QNX Neutrino VM (you can download direct from QNX).

I've also been digging around on the forum dedicated to coding BMWs (google for the URL). It seems as though there are two storage devices in the CIC: flash storage for the OS and multiple partitions on the HDD for additional storage (Nav, music, etc). What I'm running into, I think, is that my SSD is not being seen by the OS and thus the partitions not mounted.

It is possible to get a shell connection to the CIC via ethernet, so my next attempt (probably this fall or winter) is to see if my theory is correct and determine what I can do to make my SSD seen.

Of note, many have reported success with the Zheino SSDs, so that is probably the simpler and easier option
Appreciate 0