BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Reminds of one of my fav quotes...

How fast you want to go depends on how much money you wanna spend!
reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

Good, fast, cheap. Pick two.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
KVMan50
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet Black BMW 128i

Kaigoss69, are you honestly telling me that the quality and design of your speaker doesn't make a huge difference in how your car will sound? What is the point of all those speakers on the wall at your local car audio dealer if not to choose something that sounds good to your ears. Generally in my experience, if you listen to the different range of speakers from the same manufacturer, the more expensive ones usually sound better. Not because of the cost, but because they usually put better components on their more expensive speakers. Rockford, JBL, Alpine, Pioneer, whoever make many speakers of whatever size and sonic quality. There is a huge difference in speakers and to my reasonably educated ears (40 years of music listening appreciation, concerts, good stereos, etc), speakers give the best bang for the buck.
As to your visit to Vancouver, I am available for stereo listening between Jul 30 and Aug 2 at different times. I don't really want to put one of the stock speakers back in the car to prove to you that the sound is better with the BSWs, but I will. Send me a pm when you'll be available and I'll check this board regularly
You know, the thing that pisses me off if you calling me a liar. I put this review up to give my honest opinion, and get called a liar. I have no axe to grind, nothing to prove and I get attacked like I am a paid lackey. Not nice, and why would I ever want to contribute to a board if this is what you get for contributing.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #25
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVMan50 View Post
Kaigoss69, are you honestly telling me that the quality and design of your speaker doesn't make a huge difference in how your car will sound? What is the point of all those speakers on the wall at your local car audio dealer if not to choose something that sounds good to your ears. Generally in my experience, if you listen to the different range of speakers from the same manufacturer, the more expensive ones usually sound better. Not because of the cost, but because they usually put better components on their more expensive speakers. Rockford, JBL, Alpine, Pioneer, whoever make many speakers of whatever size and sonic quality. There is a huge difference in speakers and to my reasonably educated ears (40 years of music listening appreciation, concerts, good stereos, etc), speakers give the best bang for the buck.
As to your visit to Vancouver, I am available for stereo listening between Jul 30 and Aug 2 at different times. I don't really want to put one of the stock speakers back in the car to prove to you that the sound is better with the BSWs, but I will. Send me a pm when you'll be available and I'll check this board regularly
You know, the thing that pisses me off if you calling me a liar. I put this review up to give my honest opinion, and get called a liar. I have no axe to grind, nothing to prove and I get attacked like I am a paid lackey. Not nice, and why would I ever want to contribute to a board if this is what you get for contributing.
As a 20 year plus veteran of the car audio retail and manufacturer businesses, I can tell you why there are a selection of speakers in display boards:

- if one maker is out of stock, the store still has something to offer

- if the store is on credit hold with one supplier, they can hopefully buy from another one

- different depth/magnet diameter/frame width speakers fit into different carsan even within the same "size"

We don't have a display board because I've decided that a demo board requires me to decide how I want to lie to the consumer - do I want it to sound better than in the car, or worse? Because it NEVER sounds similar.

The more expensive speakers are usually put in the better-sounding locations.

Kaigoss is not saying that speakers don't sound different. He is saying that many of the differences can be overcome with DSP. I may not agree with him in every respect, and using an $800 processor is part of the recipe - but he has a point.

Before I was an authorized vendor, there was a forum member who posted a BSW review who turned out to have received some sort of incentive or discount, and there was some rencor over that post purporting to be "objective". You inherited some response from that, and you shouldn't think anyone is insulting you personally - they don't know you.

Insults are like drinks - they only affect you if you accept them.

I currently don't offer speaker upgrades for L7 or HiFi cars - we just do full upgrades with amplifiers, to a higher level of performance. So when I read the comments about high performance, I kind of laugh. BSW positions their speakers as bolt on upgrades - not as the be all and end all.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #26
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The other thing I get from the discussion is that the benefit of chaning out drivers is somewhat dependant on what you start with. If you have the best BMW stock speakers, there is probably more to be gained with a equalizer/amp. But if you have the worst BMW speakers, or even worse, the speakers in my Suzuki SUV, I would still think of speakers first. I just don't think that amp can fix poor speakers. But if the stock speakers are decent, it's fairly easy for me to believe an equalizer could be a better next step.

Put another way, especially in a car but even in a house, it is really hard to get a flat frequency response just with speakers. Even with a more complicated crossover I doubt you can get there. So even with really good drivers, you are going to have frequency ranges that are too loud or too soft. The most practical and possibly the only way way to "fix" this in a car is equilization.

Jim
      08-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVMan50 View Post
Look, let me give you an example: I once installed Focal 100KP speakers in my doors. At $800 a pair, these are arguably some of the best and most expensive speakers you can fit in this car. As expected, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but you will also find some people who say they hate them, personal preference I guess. I happen to like them. I ran them off of the OEM amp at one time and to be honest, they did not sound much better than the L7 speakers. I was not surprised however, as I knew the limitations of the OEM amp and DSP, and the fact that even the Focal was not a dramatic upgrade in quality over the L7s. However, with a different DSP and amp, the Focals became different speakers. I guess you could say their full potential was unlocked with the help of a good DSP, a decent external amp, and some manual adjustments to the EQ and time delay. I was happy, but I always wondered if it would sound different/better if a pro had done the tuning for me. Fast forward to today: New car (335) with L7 system. I installed a JBL MS-8 processor as a first step with the intent to later upgrade the speakers with the Focals. Well, let me just say that the first step was also the last step (with regards to mids and highs). No need to do anything more. Above 150Hz the system sounds as good as I have ever experienced in a car. I cannot fathom it sounding any better than this. There was a small part of me that wondered, but those concerns were quickly put to rest when I read about the 325i with the MS-8 processor that won the IASCA SQ sound-off. That confirms what I am hearing: The L7 speakers with the right DSP and amplification will give top-notch sound.

So in the end, my experience is this: The quality difference between good and great component speakers is very small to begin with, and can be totally overcome through the implementation of a great DSP, such as the MS-8.

Sorry to call you a liar, perhaps my words were too strong. Given the history of biased reviews on this board however, it surely smelled like one.

Edit: I was half joking when I suggested we could meet, and actually I would have been glad to do so, but I am already back home now.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
Gravitron
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Convertible

Does anyone else have experience with the setup from musicar northwest (musicarnw.com)? It seems like a pretty comprehensive upgrade - although I think laptop speakers would be an upgrade from the base stereo that came on my 2010. Also, has anyone had any warranty problems after having aftermarket speakers installed?
Appreciate 0