BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

For anyone interested in the BMW portable nav that integrates into the car stereo...

Found out some interesting information from Tischer BMW today regarding the BMW portable nav units. There is at least one that fully integrates into the car stereo; meaning, the navigation and Bluetooth audio is heard through the vehicle speakers and there is a reference to a nav announcement shown on the radio display. The actual GPS unit is a Garmin nuvi 3790, which is one of the most up-to-date Garmin units. The install itself isn't terribly complicated according to the instructions that I received from Tischer, but it does require coding of the VO to include the "NAVP" option to get the sound output over the stereo. If you wanted to avoid dealer coding, you can install the nav without connecting the wires specific to the car stereo and have the sound output via the GPS speaker.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, the part # is 65 90 2 187 047. Part # 65 90 0 445 989 is also required for the installation. The former part # doesn't come up on Tischer's website, but Jason assured me that they can order it and actually have one in-stock at the moment as well.

There's another version of the portable nav currently being offered, but not sure if it fully integrates into the vehicle, nor which Garmin unit is being used. That part # is 65 90 2 156 706 in case anyone is curious.

Last edited by AW128i; 01-06-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Keng1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i; 2008 BMW M6

Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pictures of the unit mounted in the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Would be interested in seeing this as well. That is, of course, if there's not a 9000% price premium over a standard Garmin...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - How much? Ballpark?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng1 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pictures of the unit mounted in the car?
I haven't purchased the kit yet, but here's a pic from another 1addicts member. Note, this is the older version using (I think) a nuvi 7XX or 8XX series.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Would be interested in seeing this as well. That is, of course, if there's not a 9000% price premium over a standard Garmin...

ianc
Of course there will be a premium over the standard nuvi unit upon which the kit is based. That being said, the 3790T retails for $449.99 according to Garmin's website and I was quoted slightly less than that from Tischer BMW for the BMW kit that includes the 3790. Now, the BMW version doesn't come with the traffic hookup, so if you want that you have to fork over additional money to your dealer. Whether or not you decide to purchase the traffic add-on, you do need the install kit, which Tischer sells for about $56.

Just the navi kit and the install kit, you're looking at about $480 and then you have to pay your dealer for the install and coding. BMW quotes 1 hour for install and coding, which in my area, is about $120. When I had my iPod adapter installed by my dealer, they only charged me for what BMW quotes for the install, despite it taking them almost an entire day to complete the install and coding. YMMV. You might also catch a break with your dealer if you do the install yourself, which doesn't look that hard at all if you're comfortable with this type of install.

Before anyone thinks they've beaten the system by purchasing a "normal" nuvi 3790 for some ridiculously cheap price and you're just going to use that rather than the BMW version, think again. The only way to get the wiring harness and mount that the GPS hooks up to for the vehicle integration is via the BMW navi kit. This is not an individual part # and dealers cannot source it nor sell it as such. Trust me, I asked!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP - How much? Ballpark?
See above.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
AdmiralAdama
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe. Color TBD.

I just want to double check this. I bought an actual BMW garmin unit thru the forum, but the guy did not send me any clips. he said i could get everything i needed to put it with the mounting kit.

however, now i keep on reading that the installation kit does NOT include everything, and that i need a mounting clip that should have come with the original BMW garmin unit to install this.

Does anyone know for sure about this? I can't imagine it's impossible to get the clip -- what if it breaks and you need another one?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAdama View Post
I just want to double check this. I bought an actual BMW garmin unit thru the forum, but the guy did not send me any clips. he said i could get everything i needed to put it with the mounting kit.

however, now i keep on reading that the installation kit does NOT include everything, and that i need a mounting clip that should have come with the original BMW garmin unit to install this.

Does anyone know for sure about this? I can't imagine it's impossible to get the clip -- what if it breaks and you need another one?

Thanks
Part # 65 90 0 445 989 is the install kit. My understanding from talking with Tischer is that this includes the actual bracket/clip to mount the GPS. However, it does not include the wiring harness that is required to integrate the GPS into the vehicle's stereo. The only way to get that harness is to purchase the actual BMW nav kit.

Which GPS did you purchase? I ask because not all models will integrate into the car stereo and instead they only tap into the vehicle for power.

EDIT: sorry, need to clarify. Part # 65 90 0 445 989 includes the bracket that the GPS cradle mounts to, which is what I was trying to convey above. The wiring harness and the actual cradle are integral and only available with the actual nav kit. JimD on this site was able to modify the regular Garmin cradle to snap onto the BMW bracket. So, as long as you're not looking to integrate the GPS into the car stereo, you should be OK without the parts that came with the original BMW kit.

Last edited by AW128i; 01-07-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I hate to lead the conversation in a different direction, but an iPhone with Navigon (for sure) or Tom Tom (I'm guessing) would work exactly as desired with music playing / being interrupted for directions through the car stereo. Not sure if the new IPOD has the GPS chip, but this would definitely be an easier, cheaper, not to mention multi-purpose solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

As far as I know, there isn't any way to integrate an iPhone or iPod Touch into the car stereo in the same way which you can these BMW portable nav units. And, there aren't any cradles/mounts for the iPhone/iPod Touch that integrate into the vehicle as seamlessly, either. I didn't buy a BMW to hack up the interior with wires and aftermarket cradles everywhere
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The picture is a nuvi 880 or 885 (they have dual speakers on either side of the display).

You can have the output of a non-BMW nuvi come out the car speakers but you have to use a cord from the headphone outlet of the nuvi to the aux port of the car. I have a 885t in my bimmer wired this way. I ran the wire through the dash and in the console so it is only visible at each end. I also have a remote microphone (less than $20 and helps sound quality significantly on phone calls) and my power cord is buried in the dash. I like my installation but it is not as integrated as a BMW portable.

The benefit of the BMW unit is the cradle, the piece the nuvi clips into. When you buy a BMW portable, it comes with a cradle that has a bunch of wires coming out the back. They are covered by a plastic piece that snaps onto the mount. These wires let you get the audio into the car without using the headphone jack. The wires also are less visible than my few inches of the power cord coming out from under the hood over the gauges and plugging into the cradle. Finally, the wiring and coding of the BMW installation lets the nuvi interrupt the radio or a CD when you get a phone call or when the nuvi wants to give navigation instructions. These are all significant benefits.

With my installation, if I am listening to the radio or a CD and get a phone call, I have to switch the radio to the aux to hear the call (or I could unplug the headphone cord and listen over the nuvi speakers I guess). I can switch this with a button on the steering wheel so it doesn't bug me too much. When I am on trips, I usually listen to MP3s I store on the nuvi. So in that case, I am already on the aux port so I don't have to do anything.

These nuvis have some advantages over an iDrive but they don't display any vehicle information like the iDrive. But they also cost less than half as much.

The only thing you have to do to snap a regular nuvi cradle, any of them, to the BMW mount is to trim some rectangular projections off the soft plastic ball portion of the BMW mount. It takes maybe 10 minutes. Then it is just like a regular Garmin ball mount. You screw the BMW mount down to the dash where the screws are hidden by the hood over the gauges. The wires come out from under the hood too. You have to trim a little plastic off the right corner of the hood for clearance for the wires. I wrote a little piece with some pictures in the DIY portion talking about the nuvi installation in my 128i vert. I used the 760 at that time and have since switched to the 885t.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=nuvi

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 01-08-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
geezerMD
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

The package described in the first post is now listed in the BMW USA web site under BMW Accessories as Portable Nav Pro. It lists the kit P/N 65 9 2 187 047 for $495, the install kit 65 90 0 445 989 for $70.30 and two versions of the traffic cable for $50 or $85, depending on whether it is ad-based or not. The description sounds like the Garmin 3790.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Jim, did you have to drill holes in the dash to mount the bracket, or were they there already?

Nice writeup BTW, didn't see it the first time around but it looks very nice. I'm getting really FED UP with my cheapo Tomtom one and would like something a little nicer...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

The BMW Portable Navigation Pro kit (part # 65 90 2 187 047) arrived yesterday. It's a sweet setup, for sure, as far as portable navs go. The device itself is a little larger than an iPhone, with a proportionately larger screen, as you might imagine. The unit is super light and super thin. It has a BMW splash screen when you turn it on that looks very similar to that seen in iDrive-equipped cars. You can choose many different BMWs as the vehicle icon, including an Alpine White E82! Also, it has a few other BMW touches, specifically 1-series touches. For instance, the lock screen is a close-up of a 1-series xenon headlight. My dealer is installing on Monday and I'm looking forward to the results. Also, I can 100% confirm now that the mount with the attached wiring harness comes with the nav kit itself and is only available as part of the kit. 'Tis a shame too because what a great feature to be able to seamlessly integrate the GPS audio output into the car stereo, including the BT calls. I'll post pics after the install is complete.

By the way, thanks to Tischer BMW for the awesome prices on everything. I picked up the GPS kit, the installation kit, and the non-ad traffic receiver for not much more than the GPS along sells for. Also, and I didn't know this before, but the GPS comes with lifetime map updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

So you're saying that the Nav unit's voice directions don't come through the car's stereo?

Looking forward to pics...

ianc

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
So you're saying that the Nav unit's voice directions don't come through the car's stereo?

Looking forward to pics...

ianc
No, the nav audio and the Bluetooth audio DO come through the car stereo, thanks to the proprietary mount that's included with the GPS kit.
      02-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

ianc,

You have to drill holes in the dash to attach the mount. But they are only visible when the hood over the gauges is removed. If you have the right screwdriver bits, you can do a little disassembly and see the area. There are two small torx screws at the top of the instrument cluster that must be removed for it to come out. You'll have to pry at the edges gently for it to pop out once the screws are out. Then there are 4 larger torx holding the hood on. They are bright and shiny and pretty obvious. The little ones holding the instruments in are not so visible but if you look closely at the top of the gauges you will see them. To get the best access you have to remove the wiring which is just one connector. But if you disconnect, your mileage information and trip odometer mileage will be lost. The first time I wasted a good half hour doing this. Now I can do it in 10 minutes or less.

The area the bracket attaches to is where the hood sits on the dash. The bracket is thin so it coming under the hood doesn't change much. But the wires are bulkier and you have to trim that corner of the hood on the bottom for clearance. The instructions show how much and where. I tried to trim less but it kept being tight and when I finally got it sitting right I had trimmed about what the instructions said to.

AW128i,

Thanks for the update and please keep them coming. I am most interested in functioning once in and programmed. You might want to ask about putting a piece of black heat shrink tubing over the wires to make them less visible for the short distance before they go under the hood. That shouldn't cost you anything and would dress it up a bit.

The car image is also something that other garmin users might want. I think the file name for it is *.srv - in other words, if you hook your 3790 to your computer, you can view the files stored on it. There will be some with the "srv" designator. If you upload those to the internet, others can use the image. I have a Z4 roadster, silver, that is fairly representative of my AW convertible. This and other useful stuff is on the GPSPassion and POI Factory websites. I like the POI list that has all the bathrooms on the interstate system, for instance. At pure-gas you can get a poi for all the gas stations that sell gas without ethanol in it. POI factory will also give you files that let you edit what the nuvi says. For instance, instead of "recalculating" mine now says "Sorry I messed up, I'll try again". With the free software, you just type in what you want. Perhaps the best thing at GPS Passion is the GPX program which translates a route you created in Google into the *.gpx format used by garmins. If you want to take a scenic drive, this can be very handy. Again, it is free. This kind of useful free stuff is one of the advantages I see in portables versus the iDrive. The splash screen is also another file you can change. I put a BMW splash on my 760 but not my 885t. It was kind of neat at first but I don't really look at the GPS much in the first few seconds after starting the car. You probably also have favorites or POIs for all the BMW dealerships in the US - they at least used to do that in the portables. Could be handy if you broke down away from home.

Jim
      02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

According to my dealer, when properly installed, the wires shouldn't be visible at all and are completely hidden by the bracket and the cover that goes on the back of the mount. Supposedly, the wires are supposed to be routed underneath the bracket, not around it. I can say that the wires used in the harness are the thinnest wires I've ever encountered in an automobile and I'd venture to say that other than the two power wires, the others are no more than .25mm in diameter each. Even the two power wires can't be more than .5mm each. Even bundled together, they're only about 1/8" thick I think. Anyway, we'll see after Monday. If there are any wires exposed, I'll cover them up appropriately.

As for the GPS website, you referred me to it before and I found it to be a fountain of information. However, I never could find out specifically how to alter the GPS speech as you suggest above. Perhaps you can provide a link? Also, I believe there are several E88 color icons in the GPS, if you would like me to share?
      02-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

The rest stops and files to change the commands are POI factory. Here are some links:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6643 (rest stops)

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/16263 (changing nuvi commands)

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=106662 (Google routes to nuvi)

All good things for Garmins IMHO.

I would love to have a white 1 series convertible image. But I like my silver Z4 image better than a coupe. Do you have any verts?

Jim
      02-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The rest stops and files to change the commands are POI factory. Here are some links:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6643 (rest stops)

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/16263 (changing nuvi commands)

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...OPIC_ID=106662 (Google routes to nuvi)

All good things for Garmins IMHO.

I would love to have a white 1 series convertible image. But I like my silver Z4 image better than a coupe. Do you have any verts?

Jim
Thanks for the links! Regarding the third one, per the instruction manual that came with the GPS, you can load Google Maps routes onto the GPS with the Garmin software. Not sure exactly sure, however, since I haven't tried it.

I stand corrected about the E88 icons...there aren't any. There are a few convertibles, but they're all 3-series from what I can tell. The Z4 icons are all the most recent generation (i.e., hardtop) so they look like coupes rather than convertibles.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #20
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Dave,

It is very easy to load favorites from Google but not so easy to load routes. If you go to Google maps and find something of interest, there is a box on the right near the top that you click on to send that point by email or to a GPS. You just tell it a GPS, and a Garmin, and the computer finds your Garmin (it has to be hooked up at the time, it will come with a USB to mini-USB cord for this). Then you send the point and it will be in your favorites list. I hardly ever look up anything using the Garmin interface any more. When I need to go somewhere I just look up the locations beforehand on my laptop and send them to the nuvi. I also get the phone number so if they are a restrauant I can call them for a reservation while in route (using the nuvi bluetooth).

You can plan routes in the Garmin but the GPX program is the first thing I've seen that lets you send routes from Google to a Garmin. You have to put the software on your machine first. Really you are putting a link, I think. Then you create a route in Google. Google has a slicker interface for this than anything else I've seen. They give you multiple routes to many destinations and you can modify one just by clicking on the road or place you want to include. When you have it just the way you want it in Google, you go to your favorites list on your web browser and launch GPX. It creates the file you need to load onto the Garmin for it to follow the route you created in Google. It is slick and simple. I don't do this all the time but sometimes you want to take the "scenic route" and sometimes the Garmin algorythem will really not get you where you are going (has only happened a couple times for me). Creating a route can resolve the issue. When it is a simple route to a destination, it is often resolvable by shifting the point you are navigating to a little, however.

Since you like those links, here is another place I've gotten useful information from - including directions to other websites:

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/ga...pagepoi.02.htm

The nice thing about this one is the guy gives good directions on how to do things. Sometimes on the forums, some of us are not so highly skilled in explaining ourselves.

Jim
      02-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the additional info, Jim, it's really appreciated.

As for the nav install, my dealer called and said that the install is proving challenging and they won't be able to finish until tomorrow. Translation, they waited until too late in the day to start and now are hung up on coding. Or, at least that was the issue when they installed the BMW iPod adapter for me. The physical nav install is rather simple so I can't see how that would prove troublesome. Anyway, I hope to be able to give a review tomorrow evening.
      02-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #22
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Dave,

Thanks for the update. I've seen similar comments from others that got the BMW system. The dealers seem to think it will be a simple "click on the menu option" when they have their dianostic hooked up and it is not that simple. I hope they get it solved quickly.

I sent you a PM with a corrected link for the GPX converter but here is one for anybody else following this:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Jim