BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #45
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

A very cool thing happened this morning in regards to the myTrends feature. I got in the car, clipped the GPS into the cradle and started the car like I normally do. I then selected the map view and immediately the screen showed a message that read something similar to "Work, 1 hour 7 minutes, no traffic." It knew, based on past patterns, where I was very likely going and it was right. Very cool! Also, about 10 minutes into my drive, it showed that there was traffic on one of the highways I normally take, despite the fact that I was still easily 20 minutes away from that road. Again, very cool and very helpful. Had the traffic symbol been red (indicating a backup, etc.), I would've gone another route.
      02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #46
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The junction view is nice when it shows what you are looking at. When I was last in Dallas/Ft. Worth, there were junction views that did not match the highway signs. That was a bit confusing, possibly worse than nothing. What is more consistently helpful is the lane information in the upper left. This is always there and is quite useful. It shows which lane to be in. When the junction view matches the overhead signs you see, it does make it very easy. My 885t has this feature as does the 765t. Neither have the "my trends" information, however.

Jim
      02-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #47
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

This was a very useful post, many thanks to all those involved.

I'm thinking of installing this into my 2009 sedan, superseding the current DIY 765t unit. I have a few of questions for your guys if you don't mind...

1. Was there ever any definitive answer from BMW on whether it's supposed to mute the radio for NAV announcements and phone calls?

2. Was the external microphone included in one of these kits? Is this a BMW part number or Garmin?

3. I think I've seen the installation manual and it calls for something to be routed in the A pillar - was it an antenna or something else?

Many thanks...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #48
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
This was a very useful post, many thanks to all those involved.

I'm thinking of installing this into my 2009 sedan, superseding the current DIY 765t unit. I have a few of questions for your guys if you don't mind...

1. Was there ever any definitive answer from BMW on whether it's supposed to mute the radio for NAV announcements and phone calls?

2. Was the external microphone included in one of these kits? Is this a BMW part number or Garmin?

3. I think I've seen the installation manual and it calls for something to be routed in the A pillar - was it an antenna or something else?

Many thanks...
1. No, I have not received a definitive answer. That being said, I think the unit may be functioning as intended. I think the mute line is what triggers the radio display message and activates the GPS audio over the speakers. This doesn't quite make sense to me and if I could manage to find a wiring diagram for the radio, I'd be able to verify whether or not the actual radio plug matches the installation instructions.

2. No, the kit does not include an external microphone. The microphone is built-in to the GPS unit, located on the top-left corner of the front. When I get a call, I just hit the power button on the radio to turn off the audio and then callers can hear me fine, or so I've been told.

3. The A-pillar reference is only for the traffic receiver. If you opt out of that, you don't have to route anything to the A-pillar. If you do get one of the two traffic receivers, the antenna is routed up the A-pillar.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #49
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
This doesn't quite make sense to me and if I could manage to find a wiring diagram for the radio, I'd be able to verify whether or not the actual radio plug matches the installation instructions.
Try to get in touch with member Technic on the m3post - he makes trunk harnesses for the HiFi system (for plug & play aftermarket amplifiers) - he is very helpful and might have the radio diagram...

My impression is that perhaps the dealer didn't code the radio right - so now the radio knows the Nav is "talking" but won't mute the other audio source. If my impression is correct, then there probably won't be any additional "mute" connector in the harness.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #50
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I use a garmin remote microphone for the cell phone with a 760 installed in my SUV and the 885 installed in my bimmer. It is less than $20 and significantly improves your voice quality for people you talk to. The microphone cord plugs into the cradle. There is a very long cord you route through the dash and up inside the trim on the A-pillar. Sound quality is pretty good in my vert with the microphone at the top of the A-pillar. But I later moved it to the rear-view mirrow area so a passenger can also be heard easily.

If the BMW cradle has a jack on the left side, then it is for the remote microphone and it should work fine. I would think it has this. The dealer could do this for you during the original install.

Jim
      02-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #51
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

The BMW cradle doesn't have any plugs or anything, only the multi-connector that mates with the multi-connector on the bottom of the GPS unit.
      02-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #52
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I checked a review of the nuvi 3790 in GPS magazine. I think they have the best reviews. Anyway, they have a picture of the cradle for the 3790 and it has no socket for the remote microphone to plug into. So it wasn't deleted for the BMW unit, the nuvi 3790 just doesn't have it. That is kind of disappointing. In the coupe, the microphones in the nuvi may work pretty well. In my convertible, the remote microphone was pretty necessary, IMHO. My daughter complained when I called her unless I was going slow before I got the remote microphone.

Jim
      02-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #53
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, I suppose we're left to deal with the built-in mic then. I had a conversation via the GPS unit this afternoon while driving 75 mph on the highway and the person on the other end said they could hear me just fine and it sounded like any BT device normally does. This was with the windows and sunroof closed and the music muted, of course. Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and install and believe that it's worth every penny for those of us that didn't have the option or didn't want to pay for the iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #54
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

AW128, thanks again for all the info and posting the pics; I'm just seeing them now since I was on vacation last week, but they look great, so thanks again. I think I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on this one!

I did hear back finally from Dan Miles and he didn't have any definitive info on the difference between the Pro and Plus except to say that it looks like the Pro unit is the only one obtainable right now.

I've read that these units can take voice directions to set a destination; how is that feature working for you (if you have it)? Is the voice recognition pretty good?

I hear a lot of talk about the microphones, etc, but I'm hoping that won't be an issue for me since my car already has bluetooth in it, so I can receive calls on my Blackberry in the car and speak hands-free without quality issues. Never tried it with the sunroof and windows down though...

Thanks again for the info!

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #55
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

No problem! I wasn't able to identify the actual GPS unit used in the Plus kit. That wasn't so much of a problem for me, but not being able find out if the unit integrated into the car the same way the Pro kit does was definitely a deal breaker for me.

Yes, the nuvi 3790 does have voice control. It works well, but unless you're at a very quiet point in a song, you'll have to turn the radio either off or turn the volume way down. Once you do that, it's quite effective. Though, I would imagine that it wouldn't work well at all if the windows were open. The only area of nitpick for the voice control that I have is that you have to speak rather deliberately and give the GPS a chance to process your commands. So, it's not the fastest voice control I've used, but it's far from the worst, too. I actually used it yesterday while traveling on the highway to find a destination I was unsure of. It worked like a charm and was much easier and safer than taking my eyes off the road to touch the screen through various menus.

If your car has the factory BT, then you don't even have to worry about the BT call quality or the microphone built-in to the nuvi unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #56
PMCU
Private
Rep
Drives: ABM E92

Thanks for posting the pictures! This isn't shown in them, does the kit include a cover of some sort you can put on when the GPS isn't mounted?

what I mean specifically is that the holder with the power pins look a bit big and empty on the dash without the GPS unit and I remember the previous BMW GPS (based on nuvi 7xx) installs had a little plastic cover that lets you cover up the area after removing the gps AND the mount. As leaving the GPS mount in plain view tells would-be car theives there's a GPS in the car even if they don't see it mounted, they know most people just leave it in the glove box.

Here's some pictures of what i'm talking about, if the 3790 mount has something like this I'd go for it immediately, the only thing holding me back is the holder kind of stick out like a sore thumb without the gps unit attached and still advertises a GPS within the car to smash and take. I do wonder if this is 3-series specific though as the 1 series doesn't have the same vertical part of the dash for the mount.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=27

Thanks

Last edited by PMCU; 02-22-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #57
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCU View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures! This isn't shown in them, does the kit include a cover of some sort you can put on when the GPS isn't mounted?

what I mean specifically is that the holder with the power pins look a bit big and empty on the dash without the GPS unit and I remember the previous BMW GPS (based on nuvi 7xx) installs had a little plastic cover that lets you cover up the area after removing the gps AND the mount. As leaving the GPS mount in plain view tells would-be car theives there's a GPS in the car even if they don't see it mounted, they know most people just leave it in the glove box.

Here's some pictures of what i'm talking about, if the 3790 mount has something like this I'd go for it immediately, the only thing holding me back is the holder kind of stick out like a sore thumb without the gps unit attached and still advertises a GPS within the car to smash and take. I do wonder if this is 3-series specific though as the 1 series doesn't have the same vertical part of the dash for the mount.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=27

Thanks
Yes, the same cover comes with the 1-series kit. Keep in mind, however, that the mount for the 1-series is very different so the bracket still shows, as does the mount. The cover only covers up the GPS electrical connector and adds a more finished, smooth appearance to it. It still sticks up from the dash like it is in my pics. The 3-series placement is admittedly more aesthetic.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #58
PMCU
Private
Rep
Drives: ABM E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Yes, the same cover comes with the 1-series kit. Keep in mind, however, that the mount for the 1-series is very different so the bracket still shows, as does the mount. The cover only covers up the GPS electrical connector and adds a more finished, smooth appearance to it. It still sticks up from the dash like it is in my pics. The 3-series placement is admittedly more aesthetic.
Wonderful, Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! I think I will go ahead and get it installed in the E92, will also share the experience here, especially regarding the muting issue of the Navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #59
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #60
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

If you already have bluetooth and you are happy with it, I would just never link the nuvi to the phone. It is a fairly simple but multi-step one time process. If you do not do it, the nuvi will not keep asking or anything, you will just not have that capability on the GPS. If you ever link it, however, I would worry the car and the GPS would fight each other every time you have an incoming call.

My 885t also has voice control and I think it works well. I use both that and the touch screen depending on the circumstances. It does not handle multiple voices talking at the same time or music in the background but seems to do OK with road noise. A nice thing about it is it will let you go directly to things it already knows about. I have not tried telling it to navigate to one of my "favorites" but I think it would work. I regularly tell it to play music by specifying the playlist and it will go directly there (rather than requiring me to scroll through my pretty long list and touch the one I want). You can also tell it to do anything available on the screen at that time. So you can page through the menus to what you want with voice commands. There are also commands like "view map" you can say on any screen. You touch a button on the steering wheel (not a BMW button, a strap-on from Garmin), it mutes anything it is doing and gives you a tone to indicate it is ready, you say what you want and it gives you another tone that indicates if it understood or not. If if did not, you get multiple chances to repeat yourself. If it understands, it says so and does it. GPS magazine reviews are a good place to get a through review of the features of the 3790 as well as an indication of how well they think it works. They liked it and generally comment Garmin's implementation of voice commands is the best (at least of the portables).

Jim
      02-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #61
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

To add to Jim's awesome post above, the nuvi 3790 has a slightly different voice control implementation. Gone is the steering wheel-mounted remote and instead, the voice control on the 3790 is activated by speaking a key phrase. The default phrase is, "voice command." So, turn off/down your music, tell the people in your car to be quiet, and just speak, "voice command." From there it asks for a command you can continue like you would on most voice control-capable devices. As Jim mentioned, you can go through the menus step-by-step, but you can also go directly to many features. For instance, I believe you can say navigate home (or any favorites, for that matter) once you've initiated the voice control. Don't quote me on that, however, as I haven't tried it yet. I've been going through the menus whenever I use the voice control so I can get a feel for things as the menus presented aren't quite the same as the Garmin menus.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #62
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

I just wanted to say that indeed, the audio does attenuate when nav announcements/BT phone calls are active. I was driving around today and had the radio turned up higher than I normally do, minding my own business when out of the blue, the nav comes on and says "traffic ahead." OK, that happens frequently around here. But, what was different was that suddenly, I couldn't hear the radio playing clearly anymore. I activated the navigation and sure enough, the radio volume was attenuated again when the nav announced that navigation had begun. So, this setup will attenuate the media volume when nav announcements/BT phone calls are active. However, the media volume must be up past a certain point. I'm not sure exactly what that point is, but above it, the playing media is attenuated.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #63
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. I actually ordered this setup according to the part #'s you supplied from United a week or so and they showed up a couple days ago. They shaved about 10% off what I was quoted by Tischer. I've updated the maps and software on the unit through the Garmin website (where it actually shows up as a 3790T). I've called Peter Pan BMW about installation and coding for the unit, but haven't heard back from them with a rate yet. Should speak with them tomorrow. Peter Pan has a reputation around these parts although I haven't used them myself yet, having purchased the car from Sonnen, but a move forces the change of dealers.

It looks like there is a two year warranty on the NAV unit itself according to the docs that accompanied it. If they want too much money, I may do the install myself and get them to do the coding only. We'll see what they come up with,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #64
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Ouch, the quote came back from Peter Pan; they want 1.25 hours to do the actual install, and 1 hour to do the coding. Since they are getting $180\hr labor, that's over $400!

Have asked the guys at United to forward me some installation instructions, 'cause that is just ridiculous...

ianc

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #65
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Ouch, the quote came back from Peter Pan; they want 1.25 hours to do the actual install, and 1 hour to do the coding. Since they are getting $180\hr labor, that's over $400!

Have asked the guys at United to forward me some installation instructions, 'cause that is just ridiculous...

ianc
WTF, BMW quotes 1 hour for install and coding. My dealer only charged for 1 hour of labor. This is despite it taking almost a full day for the install because of coding issues. I attached the install instructions to this reply.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E82naviPRO.pdf (1.56 MB, 1364 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #66
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Thanks very much for the doc AW, I will forward it on to Peter Pan and see if that knocks any boulders loose...

ianc

Appreciate 0