BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #67
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
Just picked up the car where it received the Alpine "audio upgrade".

I am not sure the dealer did this correctly. It sounds overly tinny / peaky from the front speakers (compared to the back) & the base is pretty much over powering every thing else.

Reading the responses here and over on E90 it sounds like the head unit was never updated or coded to Hifi?

Is there anyway for me to verify this by looking at the Idrive menu? Do the tone settings change?
The technician installed the cross over backwards. There is a marked improvement in sound quality especially at lower levels. It does not have the depth and fullness of sound provided by the Logic Seven/Harmon Kardon system but it is pretty close.

Thanks everyone
      02-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #68
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
The technician installed the cross over backwards.
Yeah... That'll f*ck up the sound...

Glad you're happy with it... Now add a Sub in the boot
      02-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #69
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Thanks for the update Smell-y.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #70
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Yeah... That'll f*ck up the sound...

Glad you're happy with it... Now add a Sub in the boot
I think I'll pass. I have to keep the base on -1 or -2

I have professional Nav (CIC or I drive) Post 2009 (build 12/2009).

It should have been coded correct?
      02-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #71
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I think I'll pass. I have to keep the base on -1 or -2

I have professional Nav (CIC or I drive) Post 2009 (build 12/2009).

It should have been coded correct?
Defintely sounds like it hasn't been coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #72
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Defintely sounds like it hasn't been coded.
Agreed. If you need to keep the bass that low then it would seem that the HU is still doing a whole heap of sound processing to make up for the crappy speakers you had in there before...

Need to get that coded out and you'll get a much cleaner sound...
      02-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #73
brownfield
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
This looks like an option I'd seriously consider. Does this sound $500 good? I'm in the process of sorting out a serious stereo upgrade and I wouldn't mind this if it is pretty damn good. Would this or an aftermarket amp and speakers be better. I'd also like to put in some SWS8's in under the seats along with a subwoofer in the trunk (I listen to dubstep and drum and bass).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #74
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

It's worth it. But there are other/better options. Some more expensive, others not
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #75
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
It's worth it. But there are other/better options. Some more expensive, others not
So you've heard it?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #76
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Negative.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #77
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Negative.
Because I haven't heard it either, but I can't imagine it being worth the money with it not changing out the underseat woofers. You think it's worth the money?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #78
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Because I haven't heard it either, but I can't imagine it being worth the money with it not changing out the underseat woofers. You think it's worth the money?
1) In a relative sense...absolutely...upgrading from the base system to anything better than the base system is worth $500 easily.

2) "It was well worth it..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie99 View Post
Certainly it was worth it ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
I can vouch for the Alpine HiFi retrofit being worth it. Check the sticky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poggy View Post
Have since bought this kit and installed it in my E87. Sound difference is amazing for circa £200. Well worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92smurf View Post
...what a pain in the behind, but the result is certainly worth it!

Anyone thinking of doing it, i would certainly recommend it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I've got to say, this upgrade is mighty impressive. We had it done on the short-lived 135i and I reckon it was one of the better systems I've ever heard (without spending silly money).

I'd buy one again in a flash and for this money you're really getting very good sounds!
Poll Results: Is is worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marcus View Post
Hi Backflush

I had my local BMW dealer retro-fit the Alpine Hi-Fi system into my 2011 135i a few weeks ago for the same reason, the sound was cheap and tinny. Now it's great and I think it was definitely worth the money.
...The sound level is also now at head height instead of being around my knees.

All in very worth it, it's custom made for BMW so usual warranty inclusion as a genuine dealer accessory, the head unit doesn't change so it keeps the look of the interior stock and it took them about 4 hours to fit. I think you'll pay around $500 for it in Ontario...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcan View Post
If you want better sound than the basic stereo system, I'd recommend the Alpine hifi retrofit kit from BMW. ...the result is absolutely worth it.
"The upgrade itself is well worth it" -

Ok...we get the point...

3) But...Its definitely NOT how I would spend my money, and especially considering the desires of the guy asking the question, my answer to him was incomplete....which brings me to my next point...

4) VP, note that the guy asking the question was looking to upgrade his under seats and do a trunk sub. I'm sure MusicarNW might fit him with something.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #79
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well, I wasn't trolling for business in that regard. I've said many times that if the HiFi upgrade was any good, I wouldn't be in business, and I stand by that. I think it's just a different flavor of suck.

I don't care about the poll - I was asking you personally, because you care about sound quality. If someone wants better sound, do you think that's what they should buy?

We have been asked if we could come out with a lower-cost system that just sucked less than the stock Stereo system. I have not done so because I don't think that "sucking less than the competition" should be the reason for existing for any product. People would give us their money, but still not be happy about it.

But I'm hearing that the Alpine HiFi system can be bought in the US now. This is GREAT news. Why?

Because the Magnuson-Moss act makes it specifically illegal for a car company to say, "Don't buy Product A on the aftermarket, it voids your warranty" but at the same time to say "Buy Product A from us, it doesn't void your warranty" when they are the same category of product!

The Alpine HiFi upgrade system interfaces with the stock head unit just the way the well-designed aftermarket systems do, and so NO BMW DEALER CAN VOID YOUR WARRANTY FOR AUDIO NOW! (At least when it's properly done!)

So
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #80
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

I don't care about the poll - I was asking you personally, because you care about sound quality. If someone wants better sound, do you think that's what they should buy?

No.

We have been asked if we could come out with a lower-cost system that just sucked less than the stock Stereo system. I have not done so because I don't think that "sucking less than the competition" should be the reason for existing for any product. People would give us their money, but still not be happy about it.

That's a great business model, I think business owners sometimes need to make choices for the benefit of their customers.

But I'm hearing that the Alpine HiFi system can be bought in the US now. This is GREAT news. Why?

Because the Magnuson-Moss act makes it specifically illegal for a car company to say, "Don't buy Product A on the aftermarket, it voids your warranty" but at the same time to say "Buy Product A from us, it doesn't void your warranty" when they are the same category of product!

The Alpine HiFi upgrade system interfaces with the stock head unit just the way the well-designed aftermarket systems do, and so NO BMW DEALER CAN VOID YOUR WARRANTY FOR AUDIO NOW! (At least when it's properly done!)
Never thought of this? Think my install counts?!?!?
So
So, i definitely wouldn't spend my last $500 on this upgrade, if it was $500 and only that, I would google Technic budget upgrades.

As you well know from my numerous referrals, I think 90% of upgraders are best suited with one of your packages. You literally can't go wrong and its a great value. If I were starting over, I might go piecemeal, but that is with the benefit of two years of being a keyboard jockey on this forum (and later DIYMA), and becoming fairly confident in my ability to tear my car apart and put it back together (I used to be terrified for the record), as well as the fact that I like to use OEM connectors as much as possible, which require trips to the dealer anyway. On the flip side, if your packages two years ago were as cool as they are now, I might never have had the impetus to research terminating my own connections.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #81
itolson
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Just after a bit of info, I can see the feeds to the subs and mids and tweeters but where does the amp get its audio feed, i.e do you splice into the sub feeds or does the harness do this for you.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #82
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

IIRC it splits it off at the under seats, taking a full range signal to the amp and crossing it afterward.. Look in montr's thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #83
itolson
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
IIRC it splits it off at the under seats, taking a full range signal to the amp and crossing it afterward.. Look in montr's thread.
so i could tap into the amp feed for a high level input on a sub in the boot...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #84
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

The clincher, though, is the programming. You obviously cannot do that by yourself.

Huh?
That's what keeps me from doing this and other mods. Every time I take my car in for even the most niggling of details (like a new rear brake light) I show up at the dealer to pick up the car and it's sitting there, with an umbilical cord downloading the latest and greatest... into my car and overwriting whatever I might have coded before.

So. Everytime the ashtrays get full I gotta pay someone to 'recode' my car if I do anything that requires coding.

Sure, I'm an enthusiast, but not to such a point as to where I'm willing to sit in my driveway for a few hours putting my car back to the way it was before the dealer fixed my AUDIO jack which was crackling when I plug something in.

So I'm stuck with the stock HIFI which really, for me is not an issue.
      05-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #85
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Bumping this one. I'm considering this upgrade as a viable option for my 2011 135i with the base audio system. Coming from my previous vehicles with moderately upgraded setups, the base system is absolutely awful.

I have no issue doing the install myself. With that said, has anyone in the US successfully recoded the factory head unit to "hifi"? Per "VP Electricity's" post, it seems that the U.S. head units cannot be recoded. Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #86
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometorque View Post
Bumping this one. I'm considering this upgrade as a viable option for my 2011 135i with the base audio system. Coming from my previous vehicles with moderately upgraded setups, the base system is absolutely awful.

I have no issue doing the install myself. With that said, has anyone in the US successfully recoded the factory head unit to "hifi"? Per "VP Electricity's" post, it seems that the U.S. head units cannot be recoded. Can anyone confirm this?
The issue can't be that US head units are unable to be coded - I'm the OP of this thread and my US market car was recoded, albeit in Europe. It could be that US dealers are unable to perform the coding, but even that seems unlikely to me. I seem to recall at least one person having their car coded by a dealer in the States, I want to say in or around Dallas...but the point it, it should be possible.
      05-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #87
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometorque View Post

2010's are the only cars with the base system. 2011's had Hifi and well as '08's and '09's, for those years... HK was the upgraded sound system.

You could have Patrys@BimmerTech or BMWretrofit do a remote coding for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #88
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
2010's are the only cars with the base system. 2011's had Hifi and well as '08's and '09's, for those years... HK was the upgraded sound system.

You could have Patrys@BimmerTech or BMWretrofit do a remote coding for you.
My car is a 6/2010 build date, but sold as a "2011" model. From what I've gathered, it was the 2010 and early 2011 models that got the neutered/craptastic base system. 6 total speakers and no tweeters in the door equals base stereo correct? Just want to confirm.

Last edited by sometorque; 05-23-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0