BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Upgrading Business nav to Professional Nav on 2011 model?

So I don't know if this has been asked before... Did a number of different searches and can only find people either retrofitting or upgrading from iDrive v1 to v2.

I have a 2011 135i with the Business iDrive/Navigation:

But I'd really like to upgrade it to the Professional one:

Didn't really have the option to get the Pro one when I bought as it would have been a 4 month wait instead of same-day pickup...

Info I'm looking for:
  • Is it possible?
  • Is it prohibitively expensive?
  • What parts are required?
  • Can/Will BMW do it for me?

Thanks.

- Harlequin
      05-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Gray67
Noob to the Bimmers but loving the ride
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Vert

I may be wrong, but isn't the business version based on DVD navigation vs. the HD-based nav of the professional?

If that's the case, you're probably talking about doing an almost complete replace of the guts of your idrive.

I didn't realize that it was possible to get business version idrive in the 2011 1'ers. I bought a 2009 model specifically because that's when they started putting the hard-drive based iDrives into the 1 series. Are you sure you've got the right software in there?
      05-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Gray67
Noob to the Bimmers but loving the ride
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Vert

I'd recommend talking to Patrys on this forum. He specializes in iDrive upgrades. He should be able to tell you exactly what you need and how much it will cost.
      05-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray67 View Post
I may be wrong, but isn't the business version based on DVD navigation vs. the HD-based nav of the professional?

If that's the case, you're probably talking about doing an almost complete replace of the guts of your idrive.

I didn't realize that it was possible to get business version idrive in the 2011 1'ers. I bought a 2009 model specifically because that's when they started putting the hard-drive based iDrives into the 1 series. Are you sure you've got the right software in there?
Nope. The current version of the Business Nav has the same UI as the Pro Nav - just not widescreen (therefore can't do splitscreen). It has a Hard Drive but only for map data - can't store music on it. The Map Data is updated via a USB socket in the Glovebox (I believe the same socket is used for backing up the music library with the Pro version).

I'm guessing I'm going to need a new Cowl, Screen, Main Audio Unit (Current one does not have a DVD drive) and possibly (but hopefully not) a new combox. Then a recode by BMW.

Just need to find someone who knows more about it than me to get me pointed in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray67 View Post
I'd recommend talking to Patrys on this forum. He specializes in iDrive upgrades. He should be able to tell you exactly what you need and how much it will cost.
Thanks. Just what I was looking for

- Harlequin
      06-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
markt_sa
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 m pack dct

Patrys
Hows about a thread on the details of the idrive for us to learn from. I would love some tech details on the system.
OS
Processor
ect
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Tab135
Banned
Rep
Drives: My10 BMW 135

has anyone had a look into this ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...item2c5f4d4826

i am also looking to upgrade my satnav/screen i have the business nave without the hard drive, it looks pretty straight foward to install, has anyone done this yet ?
Appreciate 0