BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #1211
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

That wing is sitting on the wall lol

05-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #1212
LSPowered
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
There's the hood scoop for the air to air TMIC... now all is needed is a boxer diesel engine under the bonnet...

Lots of thought went into that. Ripped one out of the WRX parts bin. Looks out of place IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #1213
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Andrew Frankel

Factfile
Engine: 2.0 litres, four cylinders
Top Speed: 140mph
Price: £24,995
Power: 197bhp at 7000rpm
Fuel/co2: 36.2mpg, 181g/km
www.subaru.co.uk

Outside the Toyota firm I would humbly submit that its GT86 coupé has few bigger fans than me. I first drove it on a soaking test track in Japan and enjoyed it so much I feared it was too good to be true. Was this some crazed Japanese-specification car set up to provide headlines for a drift-obsessed nation? And if not, would its relative lack of power turn it into a busted flush when shifted from a wet Japanese track to a dry British road? No, and no. The GT86 is the biggest blast of fresh air to blow through the sports car market since the Mazda MX-5, well over 20 years ago.

Which is why it’s such a surprise to discover it’s already met its match. You may know already that the GT86 was a joint venture with Subaru, which has produced its own version. Many dismiss this as a clone, but it isn’t. There are small cosmetic changes including a more discreet interior for the Subaru and a less aggressive front bumper. Subaru also aims to sell just one BRZ for every 10 GT86s sold, despite identical prices.

But the big difference – and I know this only because someone in a position to help ferreted the information out of an internal Subaru document – is that the BRZ’s suspension is 20 per cent stiffer at the front and eight per cent softer at the rear. And this alone makes the cars very different to drive.

Having driven both models back to back on road and Silverstone GP circuit, I can report the Subaru is a far better balanced car than the Toyota, replacing the latter’s insistent oversteer when the electronics are disabled with a much more neutral stance. It still doesn’t understeer much but it’s an easier car to guide to the apex and quicker away thanks to superior traction. On the road its ride seems a little firmer but no more harsh.

This can be seen two ways. The BRZ is less extrovert and, yes, less fun too. You could argue the GT86 is better because when you don’t want to do skids you can just leave the traction control engaged and when you do you can hit the button and drift for Europe. But I still slightly preferred the BRZ’s less frenetic character. Put it this way, as an only car I’d take the Subaru over the Toyota. But for pure recreation, the GT86 is preferable.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #1214
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

A WAY more interesting comparo between the AP2 version of the S2000 and the Toyobaru (BRZ)...

I can't prize enough this little car, just look at that HUGE tires difference, this alone should have put the S2000 miles way from the Toyobaru regardless of the driver's ability except if you are a really bad one (which frankly doesn't seem to be the case)... but it hasn't despite that and also the S2000's power advantage, just WOW!!!

Quote:
S2000 Specs:

AP2
Unknown exhaust
Unknown coilovers
OEM hardtop
255/40/17 AD08 tires
Quote:
CounterSpace Garage BRZ:

Berk Prototype exhaust
Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads
Ferodo SRF brake fluid
Enkei RPF1 wheels with 17x8 +45 (5x100 bolt pattern)
stock size (215/45/17) Star Spec tires
Alignement by West End (added front camber, -0.6 camber with crash bolts, and taken zerod out the toe, all around - stock alignment was measured at 0 degrees front and -1.25 degrees camber in the rear)

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-16-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #1215
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Honda to Participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship

Quote:
05/16/2013 - TOKYO, Japan

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced its decision to participate in the FIA Formula One (F1) World Championship from the 2015 season under a joint project with McLaren, the UK-based F1 corporation.

Honda will be in charge of the development, manufacture and supply of the power unit, including the engine and energy recovery system, while McLaren will be in charge of the development and manufacture of the chassis, as well as the management of the new team, McLaren Honda.

From 2014, new F1 regulations require the introduction of a 1.6 litre direct injection turbocharged V6 engine with energy recovery systems. The opportunity to further develop these powertrain technologies through the challenge of racing is central to Honda's decision to participate in F1. Throughout its history, Honda has passionately pursued improvements in the efficiency of the internal combustion engine and in more recent years, the development of pioneering energy management technologies such as hybrid systems. Participation in Formula 1 under these new regulations will encourage even further technological progress in both these areas. Furthermore, a new generation of Honda engineers can learn the challenges and the thrills of operating at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Commenting on this exciting development, Takanobu Ito, president and CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. said:
"Ever since its establishment, Honda has been a company which grows by taking on challenges in racing. Honda has a long history of advancing our technologies and nurturing our people by participating in the world's most prestigious automobile racing series. The new F1 regulations with their significant environmental focus will inspire even greater development of our own advanced technologies and this is central to our participation in F1. We have the greatest respect for the FIA's decision to introduce these new regulations that are both highly challenging but also attractive to manufacturers that pursue environmental technologies and to Formula One Group, which has developed F1 into a high value, top car racing category supported by enthusiastic fans. We would like to express our sincere gratitude to Mr. Jean Todt, the President of FIA and to Mr. Bernie Ecclestone, the CEO of Formula One Group who showed great understanding and cooperation to help realize our participation in F1 racing. The corporate slogan of Honda is "The Power of Dreams". This slogan represents our strong desire to pursue and realize our dreams together with our customers and fans. Together with McLaren, one of the most distinguished F1 constructors, Honda will mark a new beginning in our challenges in F1."

Also, Martin Whitmarsh, CEO of McLaren Group Limited said:
"The names of McLaren and Honda are synonymous with success in Formula One, and, for everyone who works for both companies, the weight of our past achievements together lies heavily on our shoulders. But it's a mark of the ambition and resolve we both share that we want once again to take McLaren Honda to the very pinnacle of Formula One success. Together we have a great legacy – and we're utterly committed to maintaining it."

Jean Todt, president of FIA said:
"I am very happy to hear about Honda's important decision to return to Formula One with McLaren from 2015.The introduction of the new power train next year, in the form of a 1.6 litre, 6 cylinder engine with direct injection and energy recovery, is a very exciting challenge and demonstrates a vision for the future of the sport. I am sure that Honda will become a strong contender in the years to come. "

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of Formula One Group said:
"It is a great pleasure to see Honda back in Formula One. Their engine technology and passion for motor sports make them a natural Formula One contender."

History of Honda Participation in F1 Racing:
1964-1968: Participated as an "all Honda" team including both the engine and chassis
1983-1992: Participated as an engine supplier (Won both the driver's and constructors' championship titles for four consecutive years from 1988 through 1991)
2000-2005: Participated as an engine supplier and joint developer of the chassis
2006-2008: Participated as an "all Honda" team including both the engine and chassis
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #1216
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Honda to Participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship
This is 100% irrelevant. Surprisingly, you didn't even try to make some weak attempt to link it to the thread topic this time in an attempt to mask your incessant bumping.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #1217
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The closest thing that we have (not available in the US) to a driver's car powered by a diesel engine is the Mercedes SLK 250 CDI ]
...ummmm, sorry to all for continuing this crap,but 335d, brother...335d.

And //thread for incessant bumping and OT posts...

On an on-topic note...I quite like the brz

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #1218
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
This is 100% irrelevant. Surprisingly, you didn't even try to make some weak attempt to link it to the thread topic this time in an attempt to mask your incessant bumping.
The only reason Honda is coming back to F1 is due to the fact that from 2014, new F1 regulations require the introduction of 1.6 litre direct injection turbocharged engines. This is the relevant fact for the topic... the rules have changed... NO MORE N/A engines in the pinnacle of the Motorsport thus why the Toyobaru should be any different?!

Even the displacement is the same (1.6L) as the one I've been defending for the engine that should have been in the Toyobaru's engine bay in the first place - not a V6 of course, but an 1.6 litre direct injection turbocharged 4-cyl. BOXER engine.

Right now Honda already produces an 1.6 litre inline-4 direct injection turbocharged engine for the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) and is already wining in their first complete season attempt. In 2015 they will produce a similar and more powerful V6 for F1 and they will be winning again as they did in the past in F1's Turbo era - the F1's most exciting era of all times!!!

Toyota is lagging behind...

Of course, I would rather prefer to see a turbocharged boxer diesel engine in a TRUE driver's car such as the Toyobaru because that's the next logical step... Toyota and Subaru could get ahead of the competition again with that revolutionary solution. It would be a first for a street car!

And, this brings us to the next post...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-17-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #1219
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
...ummmm, sorry to all for continuing this crap,but 335d, brother...335d.

If you can't understand the difference between a 3-Series and the Toyobaru you are the reason why this thread is so useful.

If you are talking about the 335d you could be talking about the Triple-turbo BMW M550d in the first place - M division's first attempt to make a sports diesel saloon:

The key word of the topic is WEIGHT... in that regard the SLK 250CDI is much closer to the Toyobaru than the 335d 'heavy pig' and its 1655 kg will ever be; the M550d weight is at 1970kg and yet, because it has a diesel engine, it can deliver fuel economy figures of 6.3 liters per 100 kilometers in the EU test cycle and CO2 emissions of 165 grams per kilometer (better than the MT Toyobaru ) and 0-62 mph time of 4.7 seconds (better than the 1M):

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-17-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #1220
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Those figures are ABSOLUTELY overwhelming!!! Now just imagine a lightweight car such a Toyobaru with a modern turbocharged DIESEL engine...

UNBEATABLE performance vs fuel consumption!!!

A no-brainer!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-17-2013 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #1221
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
My comment was the Merc vs the 3er. Neither are comps to the toyaburu.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #1222
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
My comment was the Merc vs the 3er. Neither are comps to the toyaburu.
C'mon... you know that the SLK is.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-17-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #1223
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The Merc weighs 400-600 lbs more depending on at which numbers you are looking...not comparable.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #1224
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The Merc weighs 400-600 lbs more depending on at which numbers you are looking...not comparable.
But that's precisely the issue here... despite the fact that their power output (204hp for the SLK 250 vs 200 hp for the Toyobaru) and dimensions are comparable with the Toyobaru being even longer than the SLK, the Toyobaru manges to be a WAY lighter. Hey, that's life... Just don't say they are not comparable:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-22-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #1225
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Oh, btw... the Z4 is no exception:

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #1226
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Everything is comparable, i can compare the frs to a Laforza but that doesn't mean they are in the same class. The Merc is simply not a sports car...the toyaburu is (albeit an entry level one)...and a great little one at that.

In terms of being a "driver's car" through, I'd put the 335d over the sl250cdi any day of the week. 50+% more power at the sacrifice of 11% more weight...and it's not a silly convertible

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #1227
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Now you can see another interesting feature of the Toyobaru, you can see how long its rear track is and how longer than the front track it also is when compared to the competition. Does this ring any bells?!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #1228
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Everything is comparable, i can compare the frs to a Laforza but that doesn't mean they are in the same class. The Merc is simply not a sports car...the toyaburu is (albeit an entry level one)...and a great little one at that.

In terms of being a "driver's car" through, I'd put the 335d over the sl250cdi any day of the week. 50+% more power at the sacrifice of 11% more weight...and it's not a silly convertible
Are you also saying that the 335d is much more of a driver's car than the Z4 28i?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #1229
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

The S2000 looks 'skinny' and small compared to the Toyobaru :

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-22-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1230
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Even the Boxster/Cayman albeit with greater overall length they are taller (at least the Cayman), they have a shorter wheelbase and same front /rear track (1526 mm/1540 mm) as the Toyobaru:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-22-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #1231
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

The BRZ/GT86 is too damn slow. o-60 in 7.x seconds? Fk that, at least in America where we have lots of straight roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #1232
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
The BRZ/GT86 is too damn slow. o-60 in 7.x seconds? Fk that, at least in America where we have lots of straight roads.
There must be a reason for so much Miatas sold in the US since its introduction in the american market about 20 years ago (mind you the Miata is slower than the Toyobaru)...

NA
1989............... 23,052
1990............... 35,944
1991............... 31,240
1992............... 24,964
1993............... 21,588
1994............... 21,400
1995............... 20,174
1996............... 18,408
1997............... 17,218
NB
1998............... 19,845