BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow AHL2 EU headlight Coding...

Name:  Lichtverteilung_AHL.JPG
Views: 23889
Size:  774.0 KB

AHL or Adpative Head Light II, were first introduced on the e6x european models. The headlights will have a wide angle beam pattern at low speeds while have a narrow long throw pattern at high speeds(above 110 km/h). But BMW chose not to offer this feature on US spec cars. I don't know why(US DOT maybe?).

While at our Welt 4.0 car show... Frank from Car-Coding.de was coding some of our Euro 1Addicts member cars. One thing he told us about is that IF we have the euro headlight switch which activates the rear brake fogs... he can code our AHL to AHL2 euro specs.

Now my headlights not only move side to side like before(when the headlight switch in is the AUTO position) but BOTH headlights will now move up and down as well! When you turn on the headlights the thing you notice first is the low beams point outwards at about ~40' angle. After driving a few times at night - I am sold on this mod. Just thought I would share it with you guys and get the word out. Maybe US coders can start to offer this. ?

Frank also coded my brake lights to the Adaptive German specs, which at high decel rates, my third brake light will now flash rapidly and the inside rear brake fog lights will momentarily light up for a second or so(in addition to the outer brake light bulbs)in the tail lights.

E-Mail: mail@car-coding.de

Car Coding Programming_Package_for_US_spec_BMW_eng_copy.pdf

videos of AHL2 coding in action...

NOTE: the car MUST be running in order to see the driver's side low beam move outwards. When you only have the key fob switch on... the headlight will only move up and down. As see here...

UPDATE...

Here is the line code to change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Well this turned out to be MUCH easier (and more obvious!) than I would have expected given that it's remained a mystery this long. I found someone who offers paid coding and lists AHL2 activation among his options. I emailed him explaining that I was already a fairly experienced coder but couldn't find out how to enable this one feature or even whether it was possible for my car, and told him that if he offers remote coding I would pay him for this single feature. He generously replied back just telling me how to enable it!

There are no VO changes required. The setting is in the NFRM module, and its super-secret name to disguise it from everyone is...."AHL2_ENABLE". You just have to set that to "aktiv". My M3 now behaves exactly like the video in this thread.

I'm thinking this setting gets defaulted to enabled or disabled appropriately by region because the car's model code in the VO is different based on region; for example, my M3's model code is KG93, which I believe means "US-spec left-hand drive M3 Coupe".
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I didn't even know this was possible until he was coding. What a nice surprise.
      05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Sarge135
Semper FI!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Id love to get this done. Any coders in WPB, FL?

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
I am pretty sure the function works even without the euro headlight switch (at least on the E9X). I have noticed a significant difference before coding and after.
      05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
I am pretty sure the function works even without the euro headlight switch (at least on the E9X). I have noticed a significant difference before coding and after.
Frank said you must have the euro headlight switch - in order for the EU headlight coding.

When I turn on my low beams... the headlights move from center to far left and right. You can see the headlight motor swivel the projectors out to the side (s) of the car. I gotta make a video.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Frank said you must have the euro headlight switch - in order for the EU headlight coding.

When I turn on my low beams... the headlights move from center to far left and right. You can see the headlight motor swivel the projectors out to the side (s) of the car. I gotta make a video.
I watched the exact same thing occur today when I came to a stop behind another car

The headlight switch may only be necessary on the one series?
      05-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I watched the exact same thing occur today when I came to a stop behind another car

The headlight switch may only be necessary on the one series?
Bob, So you toggled the headlight switch from MANUAL on to AUTO. That is how I could tell the different angles of the low beams. I have to make a video and show you.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Nice to know AHL have this function, not sure if cars here in Australia has this feature.

Lucky my car came with AHL

I really like the flashing of the 3rd brake light.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Amazing Dack how come those cars have so much in them

Thank You for this info
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
dknl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I see in the pdf that "enable symmetric light distribution" as well as "enable variable light distribution" needs to be coded.

Would be nice if someone could find what code and module needs to be coded to get this working.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl View Post
I see in the pdf that "enable symmetric light distribution" as well as "enable variable light distribution" needs to be coded.

Would be nice if someone could find what code and module needs to be coded to get this working.
I forgot to mention... that Frank said that once you code a US car to this EU AHL2 norm... your high beams(when on) the light will light up further down the road. I guess the DOT must have some max output when it comes to high beams. When driving fast at night its always nice to have the maximum amount of light thrown down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I forgot to mention... that Frank said that once you code a US car to this EU AHL2 norm... your high beams(when on) the light will light up further down the road. I guess the DOT must have some max output when it comes to high beams. When driving fast at night its always nice to have the maximum amount of light thrown down the road.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...headlight-rule

Audi has petitioned DOT to have the rules changed. Since the 1960s or maybe the 50s Federal Law requires a separate switch for high beams and low beams. With todays technology that manual function seems archaic.

The euro headlight coding besides being able to get live traffic updates in Europe is well worth the money.
      05-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Bob, turns out you are right. I talked with Frank and he sent me this email...

For AHL2 the euro light switch (for rear fog lamps) is not required, AHL2 can be coded on any US car with adaptive head lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
dknl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Just did the coding....will test tonight!
Pretty simple to do too!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl View Post
Just did the coding....will test tonight!
Pretty simple to do too!
IF your car is in a dark garage with the headlight switch in AUTO... as soon as you switch the car on... the headlights will come on. When they come on you will notice the headlights angled out to the sides of the car(not fixed straight ahead). The lights will be at a ~40' angle to the dead straight position.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #16
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Bob, turns out you are right. I talked with Frank and he sent me this email...

For AHL2 the euro light switch (for rear fog lamps) is not required, AHL2 can be coded on any US car with adaptive head lights.
Oh sure! Believe Frank but not your ol' friend Bob.

Hehehehe just kidding

Cheers!
      06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I was going to chime in and stick up for you, Bob. I don't have the euro switch but he coded my headlights to do this.
I would like to have the euro switch to activate the rear fogs. I know there's a mod for this but I like the clean look of the factory switch.
      06-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
I would like to have the euro switch to activate the rear fogs. I know there's a mod for this but I like the clean look of the factory switch.
if your car was equipped with M-Sport, all you need to do us cut the tabs under the button that would control the fog light in the back. Put everything back together and you keep the clean look of the factory switch.

Sorry for the thread jack, now back to this thread.
      06-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I know about the mod, but I want the actual switch with the icon printed on it.
As soon as I figure out a use for the fog light portion of the switch (135i M-Sport = no fogs) I'll buy the switch. I was thinking about using it to arm a meth system but I'm not sure I want to go with a meth system. Yes, I think about these little details waaaay too much.
      06-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
As soon as I figure out a use for the fog light portion of the switch (135i M-Sport = no fogs) I'll buy the switch. I was thinking about using it to arm a meth system but I'm not sure I want to go with a meth system. Yes, I think about these little details waaaay too much.

Gabe the euro headlight switch also comes withOUT front fogs. ie: only the rear brake fog light switch. That is what I have on my car. Costs about ~75 euros from what I remember.

I think this is the switch you need for your car... p/n 61319169401 (this switch has no front fogs, just the rear fog light switch)

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...61&fg=35&hl=16

NOTE: The above switch has the chrome accents on the part of the switch that rotates. You could also order an earlier switch IF you don't like that chrome accent thing. non chrome (black) switch p/n 61316932797

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...61&fg=35&hl=17

PS: have your dealer double check my part numbers!

The switch I have doesn't have the chrome accent. I like it better.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #21
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
No chrome for sure.
      06-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #22
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
if your car was equipped with M-Sport, all you need to do us cut the tabs under the button that would control the fog light in the back.
Cool, that was what came to mind for me as well. Easier / cheaper.

Quote:
Grrr, that would be pretty sweet though, wouldn't it? Hmm...

Coding is probably my next big adventure for my car. I should have dived into it over the last winter when it was too cold to enjoy doing anything else, would have been good timing for it.
Appreciate 0