BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #111
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

FYI, the only thing I tried so far on my FRM2 was to set AHL2_ENABLE to aktiv. I'm reviewing the traces from the FRM3 and FRM2 to see what other things are different. There is quite a few. Just a matter of figuring out which things are relevant
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #112
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
FYI, the only thing I tried so far on my FRM2 was to set AHL2_ENABLE to aktiv. I'm reviewing the traces from the FRM3 and FRM2 to see what other things are different. There is quite a few. Just a matter of figuring out which things are relevant
My buddy needs the stock factory file for a US spec 135i. Do you have one saved? PM me so you can email me the file. Then my friend can compare what is different between your car and my car. My car was coded by a guy up in Dresden... and he was the only guy who knows how to activate the AHL2 feature on an e8x car.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #113
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Anyone know how to tell which module you have? Does it vary by model year?
      08-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #114
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Anyone know how to tell which module you have? Does it vary by model year?
ISTA/D will tell you and so will NCS Expert/NCS Dummy. But my uneducated guess is that it will vary by model year.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #115
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I can now confirm that AHL2 does indeed work on FRM2 equipped cars! You do NOT need FRM3 as previously thought. For some reason - and I've noticed this with F series coding - some BMW modules take hours or days to reset after coding new data (ie. F10 power tailgate takes about one day to become active, Fxx surround view cameras take an hour to become active when coded to be on while moving). This is the same for my FRM2. I coded it almost two weeks ago but tonight I noticed the AHL2 actually working! Whether it came on earlier, I do not know. i probably did not pay attention as I haven't been doing much night driving. Note: Headlamp switch MUST be set to *AUTO* for this to work.

You can see the driver's side headlamp lower slightly and point outwards for the low speed illumination setting. It also toggles out of this and standard while going into reverse so it's absolutely working

The parameter is AHL2_enable > aktiv in NFRM.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 03:52 AM   #116
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post

The parameter is AHL_enable > aktiv in NFRM.
^^THANKS for posting that line code.

I know when the guy who coded my car with AHL2 - it worked right away. You just have to have the car in a dark place(ie garage) and the headlight switch set to AUTO like you mentioned.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #117
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Finally got around to doing this. I'm brand new to coding - in fact, today was the first day I've ever coded anything, and the second thing I tried (after the Euro corner delete) - and it was a piece of cake; not tricky at all.

As stated, you just need to get into the NFRM module and change "AHL2_Enable" from "nicht_aktiv" to "aktiv." Very, very simple. I had a feeling it was working, because as I was writing to the ECU, the low beams and cornering lamps flashed on and off in a certain sequence (don't know exactly how, because I caught it out of the corner of my eye from the driver's seat reflecting against my front garage wall).

Anyway, after I started the car and the adaptive lamps self-tested, the driver's side low beam moved outboard like so:

Name:  AHL2.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  349.2 KB

Success!

Haven't driven the car yet, so I can't report on how useful or noticeable this change is - but a cool sort of Easter egg nonetheless.

Thanks Dackelone for letting us all know!
      09-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #118
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Finally got around to doing this. I'm brand new to coding - in fact, today was the first day I've ever coded anything, and the second thing I tried (after the Euro corner delete) - and it was a piece of cake; not tricky at all.

As stated, you just need to get into the NFRM module and change "AHL2_Enable" from "nicht_aktiv" to "aktiv." Very, very simple. I had a feeling it was working, because as I was writing to the ECU, the low beams and cornering lamps flashed on and off in a certain sequence (don't know exactly how, because I caught it out of the corner of my eye from the driver's seat reflecting against my front garage wall).

Anyway, after I started the car and the adaptive lamps self-tested, the driver's side low beam moved outboard like so:

Success!

Haven't driven the car yet, so I can't report on how useful or noticeable this change is - but a cool sort of Easter egg nonetheless.

One other key thing about AHL2 is that the highbeams will output MORE light now. US cars have the highbeam output reduced from EU specs. We have our government(with antiquated headlights laws) to thank for that.

Dack

PS: Bob you should code your rear brake lights to EU coding too. The third brake light will pulse when you brake hard to grab people's attention. Also upping the DRL AE bulb voltage does wonders for getting rid some of the yellow in our AE's.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #119
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
PS: Bob you should code your rear brake lights to EU coding too. The third brake light will pulse when you brake hard to grab people's attention. Also upping the DRL AE bulb voltage does wonders for getting rid some of the yellow in our AE's.
Dack - actually, both of those things are on my list. I just need to dig into the coding thing a little more. Do you now what the German name is for the Brake Force Display, or whatever it's called?
      09-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #120
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Dack - actually, both of those things are on my list. I just need to dig into the coding thing a little more. Do you now what the German name is for the Brake Force Display, or whatever it's called?
I asked some German friends of mine... they think it is also called BFD in the line code. Brake Force Display = Bremsen Force Display. ?
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #121
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I tried the AHL2 coding last night. Didn't notice any change / DS light didn't move to the left any more than previously.

So I started playing around with different things. I saw an option for RHD and LHD. I knew it had to do with how the lights where aimed, away from oncoming cars.
What if I make both active?
- the lights won't move in any direction
What if I make both inactive?
- the lights move in both directions, to as far as they can move and on low beam the PS light moves to the right quite a bit.
This was with AHL2 active. I'll turn it off tonight and see if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #122
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I tried the AHL2 coding last night. Didn't notice any change / DS light didn't move to the left any more than previously.

So I started playing around with different things. I saw an option for RHD and LHD. I knew it had to do with how the lights where aimed, away from oncoming cars.
What if I make both active?
- the lights won't move in any direction
What if I make both inactive?
- the lights move in both directions, to as far as they can move and on low beam the PS light moves to the right quite a bit.
This was with AHL2 active. I'll turn it off tonight and see if anything changes.

Did you try the code line that Bob posted ?

Quote:

Success!

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #123
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

I did.
Was actually just out at the car playing again.

I double checked the RHD/LHD thing.
Something must have been goofy last night (me more than likely). All works well now. RHD active, LHD not active.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #124
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I did.
Was actually just out at the car playing again.

I double checked the RHD/LHD thing.
Something must have been goofy last night (me more than likely). All works well now. RHD active, LHD not active.
Ok, cool. Glad to hear AHL2 coding is now working on your 1er!

AHL2...
Name:  AHL2  Lichtverteilung_AHL.JPG
Views: 1394
Size:  774.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #125
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

But it's my PS lamp that moves and not the DS. Reversed of your video, and the picture.

I don't notice anything different driving, but I'm guessing the oncoming vehicles do.
More work to be done as to why this is happening ...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #126
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

I just had this coded last night. Definitely a noticeable difference in spread while parked. The output is slightly higher from what I can see but perhaps this is a placebo effect.

Anyone have the proper guide for aiming these to the European standards? I know my beams are pointing too low. In the pics below, my car was on an incline, so not a good example of my aim height.

AHL1: Above

AHL2: Below
Attached Images

Last edited by dandandan; 02-23-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      02-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #127
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
I just had this coded last night. Definitely a noticeable difference in spread while parked. The output is slightly higher from what I can see but perhaps this is a placebo effect.

Anyone have the proper guide for aiming these to the European standards? I know my beams are pointing too low. In the pics below, my car was on an incline, so not a good example of my aim height.

AHL1: Above

AHL2: Below
I would turn on your headlights manually(NOT in Auto mode!) and aim them like you normally would. You can use a professional headlight tool or do them the "back yard way" by parking next to a wall or gonig out to a deserted dark road.

The low beams are not any brighter. But the high beams do put out more light. It has something to do with the DOT in the USA not wanting to blind oncoming drivers who drive with their high beams on! lol The Europeans I guess know how to use their headlights! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #128
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

e92 here.
Are none of you that have this working, worried about blinding oncoming traffic or the guy in the left lane that is passing you?
      03-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #129
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
e92 here.
Are none of you that have this working, worried about blinding oncoming traffic or the guy in the left lane that is passing you?
This programming is standard on all EU spec BMW's over here. No one will get blinded with this coding on an e-series(e8x/e9x) car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #130
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

So I bought Carly and it comes up with a warning about coding the FRM. Something about the firmware having a bug and coding may damage or cause the FRM to become unresponsive, no lights will work. The solution is to buy a new FRM.

I was searching for people with this problem and really haven't found any yet, this thread came up.

And an update on my lights,
My PS(passenger side) lamp will center once I reach about 15 MPH. Until then it's aimed more to the sidewalk. Not sure what I enabled to do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #131
rabbitgtdguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Msport

Does this work on the 135i? Changed mine this evening and this coding alone does not seem to do it. I verified it was changed in nfrm by checking the trc file.

Now, there is another setting RIGHT BELOW the AHL2 coding that is not active either. Wonderinf if it had to do with the wide range lighting? ALWR_enable was the line.

2008 135i here.

Joe

Last edited by rabbitgtdguy; 01-29-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:07 AM   #132
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitgtdguy View Post
Does this work on the 135i? Changed mine this evening and this coding alone does not seem to do it. I verified it was changed in nfrm by checking the trc file.

Now, there is another setting RIGHT BELOW the AHL2 coding that is not active either. Wonderinf if it had to do with the wide range lighting? ALWR_enable was the line.

2008 135i here.

Joe

Yes, it works on all 135i's. Q). Is your headlight switch in AUTO ? It will only work in the "auto" mode.

Dack
Appreciate 0