02-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Carbon Fibre Roof for the BMW 1M

Hi Folks!

I know that some members here replaced your roof to carbon fibre. Would you guys care to share some information and details with regards to which brand you guys went for, how the process of installing went? I am seriously considering it!!

so far, seems like only Revozport has one
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 04:31 AM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

I have a Geoff Steel Racing one, pretty much similar to the RevoZport, but made here in the UK. Fitment is perfect - lots of labour involved in replacing the roof, both windscreens need to be removed, all interior headlining/a/b/c pillars, old roof cut/spot welds out.

New roof is then bonded in, similar to windscreen bonding.
      02-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
I have a Geoff Steel Racing one, pretty much similar to the RevoZport, but made here in the UK. Fitment is perfect - lots of labour involved in replacing the roof, both windscreens need to be removed, all interior headlining/a/b/c pillars, old roof cut/spot welds out.

Thanks for the reply! well it looks beautiful. can you point me to the right direction so that i can buy it?

it is not a bolt option?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

No one else????
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/M3

I have thought about it although the thought of cutting my 1M up to do this just makes my head hurt.
      02-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I run a revozport carbon roof. Fitment is perfect and weave looks oem in 1x1 gloss. As tinsta mentioned, it is quite a bit of labor to swap a roof. In the USA is about $2500 labor. Sheds around 13lbs (1m don't have sunroof so they don't shed nearly as much as a 135i) but looks amazing.

If anyone needs revozport, pm me and I can connect you guys to take advantage of my friends and family discount
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:29 AM   #7
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I run a revozport carbon roof. Fitment is perfect and weave looks oem in 1x1 gloss. As tinsta mentioned, it is quite a bit of labor to swap a roof. In the USA is about $2500 labor. Sheds around 13lbs (1m don't have sunroof so they don't shed nearly as much as a 135i) but looks amazing.

If anyone needs revozport, pm me and I can connect you guys to take advantage of my friends and family discount

nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

Giggity

I've got one. (Thx to ilikebmxbikes) It's going on along with some 1M quarters very soon...
Had to dumb down the pic a lot to get it to upload. It's pretty gorgeous in person tho.
Attached Images

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 12-10-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Aqua22.50
      03-13-2017, 03:32 AM   #9
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
I've got one. (Thx to Ilikebmxbikes) It's going on along with some 1M quarters very soon...
Had to dumb down the pic a lot to get it to upload. It's pretty gorgeous in person tho.

post some photos after installation!! Also, if it's possible care to share some tips or advice you encountered during installation?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 01:19 AM   #10
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Hi guys! Any one else have any tips and installation notes etc? Anyone on the RPK one as well?

I would like to know as much as possible about fitting a carbon roof
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

Its not too difficult for a body shop to do, headliner etc all needs to come out, front and rear windscreens need to be out, plastic trims either side need to be off, you can then start to see the edge, using a small cutter etc work your way around the edge.

New roof is bonded (similar to a windscreen), held inplace with clamps whilst is sets.

sk8fe had some pics on his build thread..clicky
      10-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Its not too difficult for a body shop to do, headliner etc all needs to come out, front and rear windscreens need to be out, plastic trims either side need to be off, you can then start to see the edge, using a small cutter etc work your way around the edge.

New roof is bonded (similar to a windscreen), held inplace with clamps whilst is sets.

sk8fe had some pics on his build thread..clicky

thank you! can't see pictures on this thread though..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:06 AM   #13
buzz92
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 6 Series 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
thank you! can't see pictures on this thread though..
The pics aren't loading here in my end either.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

It's photofcuket at its best! pics are the same as the carbon roof's available on M3's / M4's
      10-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
yearningirish
Banned
Rep
Drives: audi

Hi,

I'm interested to know more about this. What difference does it make if I install a carbon fiber roof? Is it just for the looks or does it have more advantage on safety? Does it repel more heat?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #16
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
Hi,

I'm interested to know more about this. What difference does it make if I install a carbon fiber roof? Is it just for the looks or does it have more advantage on safety? Does it repel more heat?
Only three advantages:
1) lighter in a crucial spot (weight up high on a car especially bad for balance/handling)
2) good torsional/structural rigidity relative to weight
3) pleasing to the eye (for some)

One known negative is that if you are doing it for looks you need to leave it unpainted. Unpainted carbon fiber does not weather well. A google image search for 'sun bleached carbon fiber' should demonstrate this easily.

I also worry about carbon's susceptibility to side impacts. For a roof this would be something dropping on it from above. Maybe not super high risk, but if you have hail in your region you might want to factor in.
      10-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep

Just to add, BMW have been putting Carbon roofs on M cars for quite awhile now, since the E46 M3 CSL, E9X M3 etc..
      12-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #18
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

Some info here

Quote:
post some photos after installation!! Also, if it's possible care to share some tips or advice you encountered during installation?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413934
      12-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
No one else????
Yes, cutting the roof off a 1M is pretty insane now. A lot of people did it early on before they realized it was a modern classic. Now, it would be pretty dumb. The car has no sunroof and there is little weight saving, it would be basically cosmetic. Not to mention you will probably weaken the car and aftermarket roofs do not get the rigorous BMW TUV testing. Carbon fiber is not to be trifled with in an accident. It can pop off completely, shatter and be extremely sharp where a metal roof will fold and stay attached.

It really makes no sense. If you want it for cosmetic reasons...it actually looks ugly to me, but if you like it, they have wraps that look like fiber.

Best wishes.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #20
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
No one else????
Yes, cutting the roof off a 1M is pretty insane now. A lot of people did it early on before they realized it was a modern classic. Now, it would be pretty dumb. The car has no sunroof and there is little weight saving, it would be basically cosmetic. Not to mention you will probably weaken the car and aftermarket roofs do not get the rigorous BMW TUV testing. Carbon fiber is not to be trifled with in an accident. It can pop off completely, shatter and be extremely sharp where a metal roof will fold and stay attached.

It really makes no sense. If you want it for cosmetic reasons...it actually looks ugly to me, but if you like it, they have wraps that look like fiber.

Best wishes.
I agree it would be a shame to cut a 1m and a Cf roof Beyond the slick top will likely save only 11-13lbs but it won't weaken the car anymore an e92 or f8x car with a Oem roof would over a non sunroof model. The 1m has a support bar like the oem cars with CF roofs. Revozport roofs are TUV approved for quality but that doesn't have a ton to do with rollover etc
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 03:37 PM   #21
Nozzzaa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i coupe N55

Quote:

Hi mate I'm considering doing my e82 do you still have the car and if so how's it holding up do you regret it any long term feedback you can give appreciated
Appreciate 0