BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
trevorrob1988
Trev
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 Stock 135i "Alpine White"

Need a new trunk

I took the car through the automatic wash (on spang) a little over a week ago, just to get the undercarriage a cleaning. Well the next day my troop noticed my back top reflector was hanging off a bit. Thinking it was just the reflector i scheduled a date to get it fixed at the dealer in bitburg. Turns out the inside was bent where the reflector goes and now i need a whole new trunk!

Moral of the story..Make sure none of you take the car through there! I only did it for the undercarriage washing but never again! Not even sure how it did that to begin with though. But avoid it at all costs!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Man that sucks. What was bent on your trunk? The third brake light? I am a little bit confused. Maybe post a pic for us.

Btw... I always go to the SB Wash-Strasse where you wash the car yourself off post for a euro or two. I just run the pressure wand under the car and get all the salt off the under carriage.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
trevorrob1988
Trev
Germany
Rep

yeah the third brake light just below the spoiler. yeah 9 times out of ten i wash myself at bitburg but wanted to hit the undercarriage and was pressed for time. such is life though...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

You might want to search past third brake light repairs. As you might or might not know... BMW dealers were grinding down the inner edges of the trunk lid to make the third brake light fit properly. Otherwise your new third brake light LED's will snap in half later on.

Are you really sure you need a new trunk? Sounds kind of suspect to me. Most dealers just do not see many e82's and hence don't know the in's and out's like "we do" over here!

3rd Brakelight: content of BMW service bulletin
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252460

TSB:

Vehicle: 2008 BMW 1 Series
Nature of Defect:
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Bulletin Number:
SIB-63-10-08
Bulletin Date:
Jun 2010
Summary:
BMW: MOUNTING TENSION OR THE CUTOUT AREA OF THE TRUNK FOR THE LIGHT IS CAUSING THE THIRD BRAKE LIGHT LENS TO CRACK. THIS IS ALLOWING WATER TO LEAK IN. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10036986 )
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
trevorrob1988
Trev
Germany
Rep

unfortunately yes. I took it to the dealer first because i thought it was jus the light assembly itself. Once they went to replace it ( after an hour) they came to get me to let me know that the metal surrounding the light assembly was bent/dented. I had my doubts after leaving that when they removed the light they did something wrong. But my insurance company had an appraiser come out today. He looked at it and confirmed that there was know way to fix it with out purchasing a new trunk. He said doing anything else would not stop water from leaking in and my trunk would be rusted out within two years.

He was really cool though and looked at the estimate the dealer in bitburg gave me and laughed at it (it was 1562 euro). Luckily where he works the head mechanic is really good friends with another dealer in wittlich and can get the parts next monday, painted tuesday, and installed by thursday night.

So instead of paying some crazy estimate, my deductible will cover it and i will be filing a claim on base to let them know the car wash is responsible. Hopefully i get reimbursed and forget about all this.

I plan on taking only one thing from it, and thats never use an automatic car wash again!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
trevorrob1988
Trev
Germany
Rep

thank alot for researching that for me. i appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
filing claims is on line now so it's much faster than the old system where you made copies in triplicate and submitted them the claims office. Make sure on the body shop estimate it states the damage was caused by the car scratcher oops, I mean car wash. You will also need an MP report, vehicle registration, orders bringing you here, and your policy.
      11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
trevorrob1988
Trev
Germany
Rep

such a hassle. thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
filing claims is on line now so it's much faster than the old system where you made copies in triplicate and submitted them the claims office. Make sure on the body shop estimate it states the damage was caused by the car scratcher oops, I mean car wash. You will also need an MP report, vehicle registration, orders bringing you here, and your policy.
Years ago someone hit my parked car on post... someone told me I could make a claim thru the Army. I had a MP report and everything else you listed. But the stupid guy in the office said I could "try" but they would not pay out a claim. That guy got me so pissed off... more so than the smuck who hot my car without leaving a note! I just did a smart repair thru a good body shop I know here.

What site do you use to make an online claim? USAG site?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
135i OREO
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I tried filing a claim on base when someone hit my car and rolled but they denied it. They said that the only time it would be approved is if it was cause by a government vehicle.

On a much shittier note, my water pump just went out @68k. RIP water pump, you can take that damn thermostat with you too cause its getting replaced too. Code 2E82
      11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i OREO View Post
I tried filing a claim on base when someone hit my car and rolled but they denied it. They said that the only time it would be approved is if it was cause by a government vehicle.

On a much shittier note, my water pump just went out @68k. RIP water pump, you can take that damn thermostat with you too cause its getting replaced too. Code 2E82
More than just caused by a govt vehicle. The claimant must show a preponderance of evidence that the government is negligent or failed to act in a prudent manner to prevent the loss. In the case of a hit and run there is not enough available information to determine negligence by the government or anyone else for that matter.

If the damage had occurred close to a secure facility there may be a camera pointed in the area? I would expect the MPs to track that down because, a crime has been committed when the party responsible for the property loss departed the area. You can also determine if the MPs have done a thorough enough investigation?

If your VERY confident that the loss was caused by a military member or DOD employee in the performance of their duties you can ask your elected federal representative to ask the Garrison or unit responsible why an AR 15-6 investigation has not been initiated. The IG can also perform a simliar function.

Also read:
Title 10 U.S.C. Section 2733 and Army Regulation 27-20
http://www.dix.army.mil/LegalOffice/...mentDriver.pdf

Last edited by smellthebeans; 11-05-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0