E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Calling PICUS.. Newbie needs advice. As usual.

01-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Ph3n0m73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Red face Calling PICUS.. Newbie needs advice. As usual.

Picus,

I've read many great threads in which you posted, and now I actively seek out these posts for advice on detailing, etc. Now that the "bow down" has taken place, I've got a question for you that, hopefully, a few others may benefit from as well.

Just got my 335i Coupe (Sapphire Black) back to the US and am looking to buy a Porter Cable setup. I've never done any detailing with polishers, but from the way you make it sound, it shouldn't be a daunting task.

I'd like to take care of the standard swirl marks, mild water spots and all the other day-to-day crap that happens to all of our cars.

Now the questions..

Do you think that, as a beginner and by following directions, I wouldn't necessarily trash my new coupe?

If not, what setup would you recommend buying for the average Joe that wanted to do this? ...A checklist if you will...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Springer
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph3n0m73
Picus,

I've read many great threads in which you posted, and now I actively seek out these posts for advice on detailing, etc. Now that the "bow down" has taken place, I've got a question for you that, hopefully, a few others may benefit from as well.

Just got my 335i Coupe (Sapphire Black) back to the US and am looking to buy a Porter Cable setup. I've never done any detailing with polishers, but from the way you make it sound, it shouldn't be a daunting task.

I'd like to take care of the standard swirl marks, mild water spots and all the other day-to-day crap that happens to all of our cars.

Now the questions..

Do you think that, as a beginner and by following directions, I wouldn't necessarily trash my new coupe?

If not, what setup would you recommend buying for the average Joe that wanted to do this? ...A checklist if you will...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Springer
No prob, you'll be fine. You've read the sticky up top, right? If so, you're in good shape. Now read this:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showpost...59&postcount=2

So bascially a checklist to start polishing would be something like this:

Porter Cable & backing plate
2 orange, white, and grey LC pads
one bottle of menzerna intensive polish
one bottle of menzerna final polish II
at *least* 5 good microfiber cloths (preferably more)
alcohol and water in a spray bottle
good lighting
a shaded place to work
the sealant/wax of your choice
a lot of patience.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Ph3n0m73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Picus,

Yup, I've read the sticky- that's what gave me the balls to try the polisher myself.

You've come through again, my friend.

Thanks again for your help.

Springer
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Porter Cable & backing plate
2 orange, white, and grey LC pads
at *least* 5 good microfiber cloths (preferably more)

Cheers.
Have you used the Edge system? I've hear alot of vets bragging about that. No backing plate to hit the car with and two pads for the price of one. I respect your opinion so wanted to see if you were using these and if not why not.

I have about 15 regular MF towels from pakshak(DavidN link) and 5 ultra plush MF towels. I noticed when removing the AIO, the ultra plushes didn't seem to give as nice of a shine. I'm thinking it was the lack of friction. Please correct me if wrong and let me know the best purposes for each towel. I think I read ultra plush are for QD to avoid swirls(traps dirt in thick fibers)

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
Have you used the Edge system? I've hear alot of vets bragging about that. No backing plate to hit the car with and two pads for the price of one. I respect your opinion so wanted to see if you were using these and if not why not.

I have about 15 regular MF towels from pakshak(DavidN link) and 5 ultra plush MF towels. I noticed when removing the AIO, the ultra plushes didn't seem to give as nice of a shine. I'm thinking it was the lack of friction. Please correct me if wrong and let me know the best purposes for each towel. I think I read ultra plush are for QD to avoid swirls(traps dirt in thick fibers)

Thanks in advance
I've played with the edge system, and it is very good, I just have literally hundreds of LC pads... so you know. I do like the idea of flipping the pad on the edge system, saves a lot of time. I did see one guy went through the pad and did some damage to his car recently, but I think that was user error.

As for the shine difference in towels; that's a new one. It *could* be that the ultra plush aren't removing all the AIO residue; sometimes ultra plushes aren't the best for removing some of the "stickier" sealants like AIO, just because they can get tacky and caught up in the residue (if you know what I mean). I like using medium nap for sealant removal; I use ultra plushes almost entirely for spray sealants/waxes and quick detailers.

Two things, sort of off topic; first, are you topping AIO with anything? Second, you mentioned qd'ing and the mf's trapping dirt. You're not qd'ing over dirt are you? Super light dust is ok (especially with a qd that's designed for it like Spray & Wipe), but try to avoid qd'ing over anything more than a really light dusting. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

I topped the AIO with 3 coats of SG. Applied both with a terry covered pad soaked in distilled water then rung out so only slightly damp. Wipe on then immediately off. Application was extremely easy.

I don't even have a QD yet. Was going to ask what you found to be the best. I can get mother's locally at the Napa store and I'm sure Meguiar's elsewhere. I would be interested if you had a favorite. I'm probably going to place an online order soon to get the PC.

I was going to get a QD for after washing and drying. I remember reading somewhere that applying a QD after drying brings the shine back to that of right after a wax/seal.(Although its really shiney after drying so I don't how much better it will get)

A little backround. This is the first car I've ever taken care of. Prior to this, I washed my car twice in 18 months(right before lease turn in) I actually enjoy this now.(I'm pretty sure its the type of car).

I find that a few days after washing I get a layer of cake on the car. Looks like dirt/dust/recycled water spots. It actually looks good from a distance, but when you get close you can see it looks like a completely separate layer. Would a QD help repel this? Would anything help repel this? The car is garaged kept but parked outside at work. Water sheets incredibly. I've never seen anything like that before.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Heya - ok you're in good shape. Any qd is good, really. I like clearkote quickshine, but any megs or mothers without wax in it will do as well. Alternatively you could pick up some jeffs werkstatt acrylic jett trigger, which is a spray sealant - it'd go over the SG well, and would continue to boost your protection. The only downside is it's more expensive than a qd.

There really isn't much that will repel dust. Finish Kare has a product called #425 that works pretty well (it's an anti static quick detailer), you could try it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

saving this post for later

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

yeah, subscribe me to this one too..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

I just read that link about the various steps. Wow, I had no idea there was so much involved.

I'm curious what ballpark number of hours is required to do all that? I'd have to retire to find time/energy to do all that so I think I'll stick to the simple wash/wax end of it and deal with the flaws.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Any time is better than no time at all. There is a process that can be customized to fit almost any time frame. If you wash and wax correctly the "flaws" can be mitigated.
Appreciate 0