BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Newby with some 135i questions.

Howdy everyone,

I'm looking at getting a 135i hopefully pretty soon (was hooked after a test drive, feels so much quicker than my WRX ) and was hoping that someone could answer a few questions for me.

1 - Is there any major differences between the 2008 & 2009 models?

2 - Is there anything particularly i should be looking out for, mainly in the 2008 models as that's probably what i will end up being able to afford.

3 - Whats the story with the i-drive and some cars having a pop up screen and some a fixed one?

4 - A strange one but the car i test drove seemed to have different pedals (rubber centre with metal surrounds) compared to other models i've seen, any idea why?
Please see pic below:

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I dont know to much about the the older 1ers but I can answer 3 and 4 for you.

3.The 2010+ iDrive has a fixed screen as the 2009 and prior have the flip up one. Correct me if im wrong but the older models also have a DVD based nav system while the 2010+ has a hard drive based system.

4. Thats simply just some aftermarket pedals on there. Stock BMW pedals are straight black plastic, should be no problem so long as they fit right and you like the way they look!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

3. Confirmed, from Sep 2009 the I-drive upgraded to the new version with the new interface and higher resolution "fixed screen", HDD storage etc. Older models have dvd based nav.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Howdy everyone,

I'm looking at getting a 135i hopefully pretty soon (was hooked after a test drive, feels so much quicker than my WRX ) and was hoping that someone could answer a few questions for me.

1 - Is there any major differences between the 2008 & 2009 models?

2 - Is there anything particularly i should be looking out for, mainly in the 2008 models as that's probably what i will end up being able to afford.

3 - Whats the story with the i-drive and some cars having a pop up screen and some a fixed one?

4 - A strange one but the car i test drove seemed to have different pedals (rubber centre with metal surrounds) compared to other models i've seen, any idea why?
Please see pic below:

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum!

1. 08/09 is basically the same except for 09 built cars that have the new iDrive, and later 09 that have dumbo ears. Later 09 cars have smart phone options, and of course the 10 cars have N55.

2. Someone would be able to answer this in detail but the software of some of the cars might be an issue and there's no easy way of just getting the dealer to upgrade it. Also in particular concern is the HPFP issue and the rear lights. Seems to me that if a car has a first HPFP failure it is likely to have subsequent issues. Rear lights are getting recalled (or there's a warranty campaign as they call it) so getting it privately might be an issue depending on the recall window.

3. Just like to add a slight correction from the other posters all 09 built cars have the - new iDrive and it's a fix screen - to me that's one less movable object for it to break down. In fact, I am sure the late 08 built cars (from Oct/November onwards also have the new iDrive, so of the other guys will have to confirm). Mine is a april 09 built and it has the new iDrive, and bbk asked to have his to come 09 to get the new iDrive and I am sure he had a January delivery making it oct built. As previous posters mentioned the new iDrive has a HDD navigation, and it is the first intuitive iDrive. If you can use a ipod, you can use the new iDrive. Yes, it is A LOT better.

4. The silver one is an aftermarket pedal. As far as I know the pedals you described is not a bmw accessory either.

Good luck with car hunting!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
I think I saw that pedals as a BMW accessory item. pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

just to keep this as correct as possible, the 10's as described in sparoz reply does not come with the N55. The N55 is in the new 2011's.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

The only real differences are that 09 model cars (cars built from Sep/Oct 08) have the updated idrive. The updated idrive is much better, if I was purchasing an 08 135i I'd probably skip the old idrive altogether. Also, the newer mirrors came into effect in the 2010 models, so this should be from Sep/Oct 09 build cars. The latest 135i's have the N55 engine which is single turbo as opposed to previous models which have the N54 twin turbo. The HPFP is an inevitable problem on the N54's but it is unknown if the problem persists with the N55 engine. Those pedals look like the BMW Performance pedals which can be purchased and installed at anytime from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
The interior shown also seems to be missing a clutch...

:P
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Thanks everyone for their input, it's been a great help.

So is it just the central brake light or is it the main tail lights that have the problem and is the reason for the recall, as i've read about the brake light cracking and that it has been known to fall out.

Also the problems with the HPFP failure's, which would be my main concern, is it just covered under normal warranty or has it been extended due to it being a well known issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
just to keep this as correct as possible, the 10's as described in sparoz reply does not come with the N55. The N55 is in the new 2011's.
Well actually here in Australia we refer to it as a 2010 model. We have not gone to the American system of releasing the shiny new model for 2011 in the calender year 2010. So he is actually correct
      06-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Just as a point for discussion, I was in the market for a new 2010 N55 model. After careful research for all the available options and paint/trim codes plus all costs I settled on what I was after, which included the iDrive 609 Pro Sat Nav. Then I went to have a look at a car that had the 609 in it and I was surprised to experience how much of my field of vision the Sat Nav unit on these non-popup cars blocked.

Then I found out about the whole N54 vs N55 tuneability issue and I eventually decided to go with a 2008 car so I could get an N54 engine. However the Sat Nav unit sitting right up there in the cabin was a big turnoff for me, I much preferred the popup units. I understand the functionality of the Sat Nav is much better in the later models (non Popup), but how often do you use Sat Nav vs having that thing sitting in your field of vision 100% of the time.

Food for thought, others will have a different point of view. For reference I have my seat as low as possible and I'm 182 cms tall.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #12
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
Well actually here in Australia we refer to it as a 2010 model. We have not gone to the American system of releasing the shiny new model for 2011 in the calender year 2010. So he is actually correct
haha makes more sense to do it that way, how can you own a 2011 in 2010.. haha thanks for clearing it up
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
haha makes more sense to do it that way, how can you own a 2011 in 2010.. haha thanks for clearing it up
But then we also have the 2009 models.

MY09 and MY09 May+...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #14
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Just as a point for discussion, I was in the market for a new 2010 N55 model. After careful research for all the available options and paint/trim codes plus all costs I settled on what I was after, which included the iDrive 609 Pro Sat Nav. Then I went to have a look at a car that had the 609 in it and I was surprised to experience how much of my field of vision the Sat Nav unit on these non-popup cars blocked.

Then I found out about the whole N54 vs N55 tuneability issue and I eventually decided to go with a 2008 car so I could get an N54 engine. However the Sat Nav unit sitting right up there in the cabin was a big turnoff for me, I much preferred the popup units. I understand the functionality of the Sat Nav is much better in the later models (non Popup), but how often do you use Sat Nav vs having that thing sitting in your field of vision 100% of the time.

Food for thought, others will have a different point of view. For reference I have my seat as low as possible and I'm 182 cms tall.
I'm not tall (172cm) and the new iDrive does not block my field of vision at all. I love that it's got a big screen and feel that the new iDrive system is a vast improvement over the old system.
This fact has been commented on many times in various articles.
      07-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

The design of the idrive was not a consideration for me. I hated the old idrive because it was a pain to use. Nothing about it was simple whereas the updated idrive is very practical and simplistic, the shortcut buttons are great. I actually held off ordering my 135i just so that I could have the new idrive and I have no regrets in doing so.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Thanks everyone for their input, it's been a great help.

So is it just the central brake light or is it the main tail lights that have the problem and is the reason for the recall, as i've read about the brake light cracking and that it has been known to fall out.

Also the problems with the HPFP failure's, which would be my main concern, is it just covered under normal warranty or has it been extended due to it being a well known issue?
Central brake light
There is no fix on the central brake light apart from replacing it. I am not sure how much the part is but may be worth while finding out as your warranty runs out in an 08 car, you will be up for those cost. Some dealership offers extended warranty, but as there's no longer an extended warranty offer direct from BMW since they have increase their warranty from 2years to 3years, it will need to read up on the PDS. Someone might able to shed some light on how easy it is to DIY.

Rear LEDs
There is currently a warranty campaign from BMW to replace either the seals or rear lights. So as long as your car get called within the enxt 12 months, you should be fine. The interesting thing is that not all cars have been called in, and we don't know how long and when those seals would be replaced. Looks like they have identify the problem and have a solution. So, it would be very beneficial to look for a car that already has a light out, or having a light out so you know you are definintely getting a fix before the warranty runs out.

HPFP Failure
There is currently no extended warranty on the fuel pump offered in Australia. There has also been record failure of the latest pumps as well. It is not known if there's a N55 HPFP failure yet, but from other threads, looks like they have redesigned what is driving the HPFP. The failure is quite random - but it's almost like not if, but when.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
oz125
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 125M sport convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I'm not tall (172cm) and the new iDrive does not block my field of vision at all. I love that it's got a big screen and feel that the new iDrive system is a vast improvement over the old system.
This fact has been commented on many times in various articles.
I'm 172cm as well, and at first I was also suprised at the bulge caused by the Nav screen. You get used to it though, and I don't feel it actually blocks vision greatly, unless you adopt a chapel street seat position, when doing blockies.

The Idrive works great, my only gripe as noted in another thread is having to acknowledge the legal disclaimer every time you turn the key back on, before any Idrive function can be used.