BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Carbon Fiber Fabric starting to peel?

Hi, I am starting to think that I did not use enough glue or something with my carbon fiber fabric for my interior trim pieces. I have had it for about 4 months now. It now looks loose near edges and is starting to cause cracks/creases in some areas. It could also be from the change in temperature because it was really cold, and now it is really warm. I am thinking about peeling it off because it looks horrible!

Does anyone know where I can purchase some carbon fiber fabric with glue on the back? I remember a vendor use to sell it on here, but they aren't in business anymore. I don't want that 3M vinyl stuff, because that is just a sticker, the carbon fiber fabric is actual fabric that feels squishy and not like a sticker at all.

Thanks(will upload pictures tomorrow possibly)
      03-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
Hi, I am starting to think that I did not use enough glue or something with my carbon fiber fabric for my interior trim pieces. I have had it for about 4 months now. It now looks loose near edges and is starting to cause cracks/creases in some areas. It could also be from the change in temperature because it was really cold, and now it is really warm. I am thinking about peeling it off because it looks horrible!

Does anyone know where I can purchase some carbon fiber fabric with glue on the back? I remember a vendor use to sell it on here, but they aren't in business anymore. I don't want that 3M vinyl stuff, because that is just a sticker, the carbon fiber fabric is actual fabric that feels squishy and not like a sticker at all.

Thanks(will upload pictures tomorrow possibly)
Alfonso! What's up man? I've had my CF fabric wrapped pieces for about 2 months now and they still look as good as new... what type of glue did you use? Is your car out in the sun often?

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Alfonso! What's up man? I've had my CF fabric wrapped pieces for about 2 months now and they still look as good as new... what type of glue did you use? Is your car out in the sun often?
hi, I used the one that is on PYSpeeds DIY, I think it is 3m super 77 or something. it is a red can. My car is out in the sun all the time. We have 4 cars, so mine is always outside our house. When I did the process, it was way to sticky and messy x_X. I am starting to think I didn't use enough. I will post pics tomorrow to show you what I mean.
      03-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I'm not sure if actual fabric with the stickiness is around any more. I haven't been able to find ANY, and the only self-adhesive option is the 3m di-noc imitation CF vinyl . FWIW, it looks greats for being vinyl... but definitely not the real thing.

i'd just use a really strong adhesive like betalink or 3m trim and decal adhesive (not the "trim and decal" double sided tape, they sell a little tube of adhesive too). As far as I know, neither of those degrade in the heat (at least in reasonable, surface-of-the-earth heat).

good luck man

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0