Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Just drove the M3, M4, M5, and M6 today.

Here's some photos to start off. The day is still a whirlwind, but bottom line is that while the M4 is VERY impressive, I'll still take my 1M. None of the cars were MT and I do have to say that the DCT is pretty impressive, but really not that engaging which makes the whole experience suffer for me.
man I LOVE that Orange M6. if i am ever in need of a 'family sedan' i will definitely be looking at the M6 Gran Coupe.....am pretty in love with that car. What did you think of driving it?

The best thing about the M6 Gran Coupe is they were available with Manual gearboxes too! For me, it could never replace the 1M, but would love to have one in the garage to carry people in...
Agree. The M6 GC is totally a badass people mover. Having ridden in one on track it's also very capable there too for such a big sled.

I think it's the best looking car in the lineup right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Touche!

I check autotrader every day. Prices to high and most are not serious sellers, just prospectors. I'm not of those guys that owns an M235, M3 and M5 and GT3. Just a regular car guy with kids that loves the 1M and hard to take out a loan on a car with little or no warranty left. Most were modified at some point, many tracked and most are fully loaded which I don't like. So that leaves few 1Ms left. Also in California, we have to make sure it passes smog so the modifications have to be undone, pay 8% sales tax, high registration, etc. So a $55K 1M becomes a 60-61K car after shipping, etc

That's an ED M3 with 4 years of warranty and service during loan period! While I prefer the 1M, I still live in the real world.

I'm hoping to find the right mix of mileage and price and care given to the car. Otherwise, I will probably have to "settle" for M2 with iPad and fake sound! : ) I hope they at least put a temp gauge in the M2!
there are plenty of GOOD 1Ms on sale these days....not all of them are too expensive.

I've been down the road you're in.....EXCEPT i never owned a 1M before like you did. For you it's the 2nd trip so that's why you may be hesitant. I could have gotten an F80 M3 but to me it just didnt feel like the same thing. Is it foolish to spend $55k+ on a 'used' 3 year old car with a soon-to-terminate warranty? maybe......do you only live once? YES
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
note - guess I can't edit the title?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yes you can: "Edit" - "Go advanced" - change title.
@Artemis - you can only edit the title for the first few hours(24hrs ?) after posting the thread. Then it locks.

@Mahlzeit nice review. I think you should drive a M235i just for shits and grins. Then think of what the M2 will be like. ? I do hear you on going the Porsche route. They are alluring, that just "tick" all the right boxes - for sporty driving.

PS: What did you want to change the thread's title too ? I added "test" drive to your title. Let me know IF you want me to change it to something else. ?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
@Artemis - you can only edit the title for the first few hours(24hrs ?) after posting the thread. Then it locks.
As a demo test I just changed the thread title "Hidden gems in the 1M" into "Hidden gems in the 1M (tips & tricks)". I created that thread in January 2012:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637361

Name:  MagicianTrick.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  130.3 KB
      09-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #27
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

@Mahlzeit nice review. I think you should drive a M235i just for shits and grins. Then think of what the M2 will be like. ? I do hear you on going the Porsche route. They are alluring, that just "tick" all the right boxes - for sporty driving.

PS: What did you want to change the thread's title too ? I added "test" drive to your title. Let me know IF you want me to change it to something else. ?

Dackel

I actually had fixed my typo before seeing Artemis' comment. By going to Advanced as he suggested. Thanks to both of you guys for your help.

So Dackel - will there be a special pre-release marketing and forum-sponsored drive of the M2? Like there was for the 1M? Where can I sign-up!?!? I would love to drive an M2, and compare/contrast to 1M as a humble service to the community of course.

To your suggestion of driving the M235 - well it just isn't pulling me in. Not enough at this point. Especially since I know I would never swap my 1M for one. An M2 though? Very possibly.

If you know of any of the online car review guys wanting a 1M owner's opinion of an M235 - you just let me know! I'll show up w/ my 1M for a comparo, if they show up with a M235. I'm stock. I'm in CA and be in the Bar Area or LA if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
So Dackel - will there be a special pre-release marketing and forum-sponsored drive of the M2? Like there was for the 1M? Where can I sign-up!?!? I would love to drive an M2, and compare/contrast to 1M as a humble service to the community of course.

I suspect that as time gets closer to the release of the M2 production car, we will see "something" pop up on BMW's ///M website: m-power.com

That is the way they did it last time around with the "lucky 12" who got to go to Leipzig(& Munich) to drive the 1M prototypes.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #29
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
man I LOVE that Orange M6. if i am ever in need of a 'family sedan' i will definitely be looking at the M6 Gran Coupe.....am pretty in love with that car. What did you think of driving it?

The best thing about the M6 Gran Coupe is they were available with Manual gearboxes too! For me, it could never replace the 1M, but would love to have one in the garage to carry people in...
There was an M6 convertible there too...which I drove.
The M6 is a beast of a car--immensely fast but being a bit of a chunk-monkey, it felt mushy and understeered horribly in the curves. We were limited to leaving the M-sport mode in all of the cars. In the auto-cross portion, that was the car that most effectively killed the most cones. If I had more success as a pimp or oil sheik, it would probably be the ride I would cart all my honeys around in though--it is one impressive ride for $150k.

The M5? Meh. Competently executed family-wagon, in my opinion. It's fast and pretty agile, but not my cup of tea. I drove it once and that was pretty much all I cared for.

The M3/M4: They are lighter than the E92 M3 which is great and have oodles of power and torque. Both of them are very quick off the line with DCT and the turbo-lag is minimal. They feel very well balanced in auto-cross and although both are quite large, I always felt under control even at the limit. The M4 had newer tires which helped quite a bit. The M4 obviously felt a little more cramped than the M3 with it's shorter roof. I kind of like being tucked into a snug cockpit though, as I feel more in tune with the car.
Visually, I like the slightly taller stance of the M3 from certain angles but that's b/c I'm a 1M driver. The M4 looks better at certain angles as well, but I didn't fall in love with the looks of either one.

I suppose it's yet another apples and oranges argument when you lump the 1M into the mix. Plus, we are all heavily biased towards our rides. At the end of the day, I'd still take the 1M over any of them, regardless of budget. They are all supremely impressive machines, and it really comes down to personal preference. I like agility, quickness, and a sense of danger (random power oversteer, anyone?) which is all present in the 1M.
Appreciate 0