BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Review of Remote Coding via Alpine MSS

I didn't know where to put this, but I figured here was okay. Mods move where appropriate.

As some of you know, I installed race seats and got the dreaded airbag lights. I searched for emulators, and other solutions. No local indy BMW shop could do it because it was a newer vehicle.

So, I found Alex at Alpine MSS offering remote coding solutions.

http://www.alpinemss.com/product_p/rme.htm

Basically, Alex sends you a coding cable w/a deposit, and when ready you install some software that allows to to connect to a virtual machine and thus connect to Alpine where Alex can login and code the car.

My main concern was the airbag lights, but during the session Alex basically has a sheet of things he can code....which is ALOT.

I chose the following:

Race Seat Coding (Driver and Passenger)
Windows Up/Down with key
Unlock Doors when engine is turned off
Window Safety Feature
Double Blinking Euro Hazards
Removal of Amber Headlight Sidemarkers
Disable Seat Belt Chimes (Driver and Passenger)
Fog Lamps with High Beams
Brake Force Display

Everything is no additional cost, which is awesome.

When I was ready yesterday, I hooked up the computer and cable, let Alex know and he started coding. Took about 20 minutes total and everything was complete. STUPID EASY.

Compared to other companies that want to charge $300 for a 1-time coding fee plus a cable (that they do not loan out). Alex is a steal. Super easy to communicate and talk with him and I suggest anyone who wants to code some things without trying to do it yourself, please look into this option.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
mr_bean
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Thanks for the tip. The price is very reasonable.

When I first got my 128, there were a few things I wanted to code. After seeing the $300 price tags from anyone I could find online I decided to try it myself with NCS expert and a $100 cable I bought.
Bottom line, this approach isn't for everyone as the software is super finicky. But I was able to code:
-windows up/down with key fob
-disable seatbelt chime
-disable "hill hold" feature that keeps the car from rolling back before letting out the clutch (this really drive me nuts)
-disable brake fade compensation (I didn't like what it did to brake pedal feel when slowing down on an incline)
-enable fog lights with high beams
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean
Thanks for the tip. The price is very reasonable.

When I first got my 128, there were a few things I wanted to code. After seeing the $300 price tags from anyone I could find online I decided to try it myself with NCS expert and a $100 cable I bought.
Bottom line, this approach isn't for everyone as the software is super finicky. But I was able to code:
-windows up/down with key fob
-disable seatbelt chime
-disable "hill hold" feature that keeps the car from rolling back before letting out the clutch (this really drive me nuts)
-disable brake fade compensation (I didn't like what it did to brake pedal feel when slowing down on an incline)
-enable fog lights with high beams
Can you go into more about the Brake Fade compensation? I've never heard of this before
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Can you go into more about the Brake Fade compensation? I've never heard of this before
BFD is when you brake really HARD, the brake lights will flash until you release the brake pedal.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
BFD is when you brake really HARD, the brake lights will flash until you release the brake pedal.

I know what brake force display is...that's why I asked for it (it is active on my E86M)

I'm asking about brake FADE compensation
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
csow
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

I want that! I think you have to code it though the normal BFD just turns on the rear fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
mr_bean
Rep

Quote:
Brake fade compensation:
When your brakes get hot from heavy use (i.e. spirited driving), the friction between the pads and rotors goes down. This means you have to push the pedal harder to get the same amount of braking force.
With brake fade compensation, the ABS/DSC module compares brake pedal force to the de-acceleration of the car. If it notices that the driver has to apply more brake pedal effort to get the car to stop at the same rate, it assumes the brakes are fading and it applies more hydraulic pressure to the calipers without the driver pressing any harder on the brake pedal.
The intent is to make brake fade imperceptible to the driver. But the trade off is that pedal feel gets weird when trying to stop quickly as the car is pointed downhill (because the effect of gravity on the incline throws off the sensor readings). It almost feels like the brake pedal is pushing back at you and the car is fighting to be slowed down. Furthermore, I'd much prefer to know when my brakes are beginning to fade so I know to bring it down a notch before it's too late.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean
Quote:
Brake fade compensation:
When your brakes get hot from heavy use (i.e. spirited driving), the friction between the pads and rotors goes down. This means you have to push the pedal harder to get the same amount of braking force.
With brake fade compensation, the ABS/DSC module compares brake pedal force to the de-acceleration of the car. If it notices that the driver has to apply more brake pedal effort to get the car to stop at the same rate, it assumes the brakes are fading and it applies more hydraulic pressure to the calipers without the driver pressing any harder on the brake pedal.
The intent is to make brake fade imperceptible to the driver. But the trade off is that pedal feel gets weird when trying to stop quickly as the car is pointed downhill (because the effect of gravity on the incline throws off the sensor readings). It almost feels like the brake pedal is pushing back at you and the car is fighting to be slowed down. Furthermore, I'd much prefer to know when my brakes are beginning to fade so I know to bring it down a notch before it's too late.
Interesting. I'd have to look into this
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
This reminds me of the story of the princess and the pea (or in this case, Bean). Clearly you are troubled by things the rest of the world doesn't even notice.

What drives you nuts about hill hold? That the car doesn't roll backwards when starting on a hill?
As for brake fade compensation, if it is actually there (and lord knows the internet says it is), it doesn't actually work anyway. Our stock brakes fade just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
mr_bean
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
This reminds me of the story of the princess and the pea (or in this case, Bean). Clearly you are troubled by things the rest of the world doesn't even notice.

What drives you nuts about hill hold? That the car doesn't roll backwards when starting on a hill?
As for brake fade compensation, if it is actually there (and lord knows the internet says it is), it doesn't actually work anyway. Our stock brakes fade just fine.
Granted, I take notice to things about my car that most people would never notice. But, we all have our vices. Surprisingly, I'm completely ambivalent about most other things in my life.

Hill hold drives me nuts because it completely neuters the feel of clutch engagement. I always feel like I'm over revving the engine before the clutch catches. With 20+ years of driving a manual trans, it's more of a hindrance than a convenience. Furthermore, I have an axe to grind with any technology that dumbs down the driving. This includes other things like adaptive steering, stability control and rev matching (as seen in the Nissan GT-R and the latest gen Minis).

As for brake fade compensation, it is only a band-aid. Indeed it doesn't eliminate fade, it only delays it. So why bother having it at the expense of brake pedal feel? That's why I disabled it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
Granted, I take notice to things about my car that most people would never notice. But, we all have our vices. Surprisingly, I'm completely ambivalent about most other things in my life.

Hill hold drives me nuts because it completely neuters the feel of clutch engagement. I always feel like I'm over revving the engine before the clutch catches. With 20+ years of driving a manual trans, it's more of a hindrance than a convenience. Furthermore, I have an axe to grind with any technology that dumbs down the driving. This includes other things like adaptive steering, stability control and rev matching (as seen in the Nissan GT-R and the latest gen Minis).

As for brake fade compensation, it is only a band-aid. Indeed it doesn't eliminate fade, it only delays it. So why bother having it at the expense of brake pedal feel? That's why I disabled it.
I'm at a little over 40 years driving a manual transmission and counting. I worry some about all the electronics on our modern cars but I like the convenience, improved driveability and efficiency. Hill hold is usually not all that helpful but occasionally is really nice to have (if the hill is steep). I over rev more when I don't have it (on my other vehicle). I also use the parking brake sometimes to provide a similar functionality. I am not saying anybody else needs to like this feature, only that I do. I also don't mind the CDV. It numbs up the clutch engagement some but also smooths it out.

I blip the throttle on downshifts and like that I have learned to do that but I would prefer the car do it. When I am driving in an autocross, I get a bit overwhelmed with the number of things to do all at once at times and one less would be OK. This is about the only time I downsift when up around 5000 rpm so my normal driving practices are not exactly what I need to be doing. It's one more thing to potentially go wrong but that's the only downside.

We aren't going to get the computer out of our cars. That genie is firmly out of the bottle. So once you accept that a modern car will never be like a 1960s or earlier car from the standpoint of electronic control, why not just accept the help? That's my theory. But I guess that logic takes you to an automatic transmission too.

So maybe we all have to decide how much we want our car to do and how much we'd rather take care of ourselves. Having different lists is OK.