BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

1M Cracking Noise Front Right Dash Area - Cause??

Just looking to find any new info on the cracking noises that I and many members have been hearing. This is the rather loud noise that emanates from the front right dash/A pillar area. I have read through 5 or more threads on this subject and have not found a definitive answer as to the cause nor a solution. Supposedly there is a BMW bulletin on it but I found no reference to it nor any links.

In my situation its very annoying because its a loud crack, akin to a rock hitting the glass - it gets your attention. It seems to occur when the temperature of the car is hot i.e. after sitting in the sun for a couple hours in 95º weather. It also happens that my A/C has been on but I don't see that its an A/C issue other than hot vs cold and resultant contraction. I do not believe it to be related to any A/C ducting or flapper noise because its simply too loud.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CONFIRMED CAUSE AND A SUCCESSFUL SOLUTION?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I hear a loud clunk after it sits in hear for a while and I turn the AC on after about 5 minutes but that is apparently 'normal' expansion of some parts or something like that....is that what you are hearing?

it happened in my 135 too...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I hear a loud clunk after it sits in hear for a while and I turn the AC on after about 5 minutes but that is apparently 'normal' expansion of some parts or something like that....is that what you are hearing?

it happened in my 135 too...
Same.

Also happened in my Z4

BMW gremlins
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
AForceNinja
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I get a pop noise from the same spot every morning when i leave the house
      07-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

One detail I forgot to list in my first post is that the cracking noise is triggered by hitting a sharp transverse bump or dip in the road. This has only happened when the car is quite hot from sitting in the sun. It cracks loudly the first time then less violently on the second crack then the third is a bit less until it doesn't crack any more....until the next time it sits in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

To Vasmir and Iedei - I would say mine is not a 'clunk'. The best description is a loud crack, like a stone hitting the windshield. When it happens, you will jump. I believe you have a different issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #7
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Sprint View Post
To Vasmir and Iedei - I would say mine is not a 'clunk'. The best description is a loud crack, like a stone hitting the windshield. When it happens, you will jump. I believe you have a different issue.
a few of my cars have done that too. i think it sounds like a water bottle sitting in the heat thats half empty. still can't figure that out. my 1M doesnt do it though.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Happens every day in the summer, usually at the first pavement imperfection after the car has been sitting for a while. Usually a popping noise but sometimes like a crack. Car doesn't have to sit in the sun as it happens every morning, though my morning garage temp is probably 85 degrees.

Not as annoying as the center console rattle.
      07-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

There's a DIY fix on the 1addicts in the DIY section for the center console rattle.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 05:39 AM   #10
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Sprint
I think we are talking about the same thing....it happens every day in my car and I always get shocked by it! it's loud and yes it does sort of sound like something hitting the windshield but also sounds deeper than that which is why I called it a 'clunk'
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Les Grossman
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Very rarely, this also happens in my car. Curiously, mine is RHD and it sounds like the noise comes from the left. I guess it's just one of those things. Most likely not coming from either the left or right. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Make sure your cowl / cabin air filter thing isn't loose. It's held on by a bolt near the front fender. The other thing, sometimes there's a squeak on the A pillar where it meets the dash. Someone, many years back, suggested taking that apart and applying some wax to quiet that down. (Worked for me).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

That noise you are hearing is a BB being shot at you from jealous neighbors. Replacing it with an M3 will solve your problem
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #14
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

I have exactly the same problem, when the car sits in the sun for some time the right front side cracks the first two times I hit imperfections on the road, I guess it's no big deal since a lot of people has it. It definitely only happens when the car is exposed to high temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #15
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Since I started using a sunshade on the windshield, especially when very hot, the noise went away completely... And punctually when I forget to put the shade the cracking noise comes back.
Worked for me with few €€ for a good sunshade
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
Cursed1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lots of them

I've noticed that the noises happen even if the car is started and let to sit for a few minutes. It almost sounds the "auto" setting of the hvac is closing and opening a diverter of some sort?

Because we have so many people with this noise, I'll chalk it up as normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #17
sfarid123
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3

I fixed my dashboard popping and creaking noise which i had for years by finding and tightening a loose nut on my passenger side engine strut.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      11-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

sfraid123, since many of us need the support of this site and also contribute with very technical and informative information, would you mind helping the cause and provide some actual detail like exactly what you tightened, how to locate it and perhaps a pic of the item? That would make your post actually helpful to others. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #19
Iceman21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Yeah more details please
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #20
nwautoxer
United_States
Rep

Noise In Right Front Dash Area - Solved For My 1M

There seems to be some variation in the problem descriptions in this thread. My problem sounds similar but with some variation from yours. Several of you asked for details so please don't complain if you think this response is too long.

My 1M was delivered in December of 2011. A loud popping or snapping or cracking sound coming from the right dash area became a regular occurrence in the summer of 2013. Most frequently it happened when the 1M had been sitting in the sun and the interior was heat soaked, the 1M was started and the AC was turned on high, and the 1M was driven away. Usually the noise was associated with coming to a stop at a stop sign/light or hitting a bump/pothole in the pavement. This could happen as soon as a half block after we started out.

I took the 1M to BMW of Salem, Oregon on 7/1/13 with this complaint and they wrote it up as "When using the A/C after car has been sitting there is a clunking noise in right side of dash when A/C first comes on." They could not reproduce the noise and the invoice said "System working properly at this time."

Let me say at this point that my service advisor is great and my BMW Master Technician is exceptional. We (the tech and I) talked about this problem several times and my wife and I started keeping a log of when the noise occurred and the conditions at the time. As summer temps cooled down, the noise was less frequent and finally went away entirely.

The noise reappeared in 2014 and I took the 1M to BMW of Salem on 7/11/14. They wrote up the problem as "Customer states when car sits in sun for a while and then you start it to drive, the climate control system immediately takes it up to full A/C. After about five minutes there starts to be clunks on the right hand side of the dash. Esp on bumpy roads. Sometimes just at a stoplight. It will continue to do it as the fan lessens its speed but then after it has settled down and cooled down it will stop."

The invoice said: "Cause: Vant(sic) rubbing on dash frame duplicated complaint. Removed glove box. found side vent tube rubbing on dash frame causing a pop noise. Adjusted location to keep from touching frame."

This fix worked for a while, but I returned the 1M to the dealer on 7/31/14 when the noise reappeared. The invoice said: "Noise coming from same location as previous. Pulled back vent and added felt tape between frame and vent. Noise no longer present."

The noise has not happened again in two years and 14,000 miles.

I have used felt tape for other problems in the past. Sometimes the felt tape has crushed and worn from pressure and rubbing over time. I won't be surprised if at some point in the future I have to replace the felt tape. I'm happy with the fix and the discussions with my tech and his serious pursuit of a solution. His time and efforts are not adequately reflected in the write-ups on the invoices.

Hope this helps someone out there.

As a post script, we have since moved to Tacoma and my Alpine White 1M is approaching 47,000 miles and will be coming up for sale here to raise money for a down payment on a house. Best car I have ever owned/driven and I will miss it!
Appreciate 2
eeghie299.50
      11-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

That's great information - exactly the kind of detail that helps everyone. I am impressed that your cracking noise has not recurred, however I am extremely doubtful that a rubbing plastic vent tube can cause a cracking noise as loud as its been in my car or possibly your car. It is startlingly loud when you are not expecting it. To me what sounds more likely is what a poster a few posts back suggested - that a motor mount piece is not quite tight enough and when hitting a bump such that the car torques and twists it causes a minor shift in the suspension or motor mount or whatever is not tight enough. One more detail I can share is that I have had the cracking sound without the A/C in use, however it was a very hot day and the car had been in the sun for a while. The crack then occurs shortly after driving off when encountering the first notable bump. Thanks again for your input.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #22
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwautoxer View Post

I have used felt tape for other problems in the past. Sometimes the felt tape has crushed and worn from pressure and rubbing over time. I won't be surprised if at some point in the future I have to replace the felt tape. I'm happy with the fix and the discussions with my tech and his serious pursuit of a solution. His time and efforts are not adequately reflected in the write-ups on the invoices.

Hope this helps someone out there.

As a post script, we have since moved to Tacoma and my Alpine White 1M is approaching 47,000 miles and will be coming up for sale here to raise money for a down payment on a house. Best car I have ever owned/driven and I will miss it!
Great contribution to the community. Could we trouble to post a picture that pinpoints the location of the rubbing / felting, so that others with this issue have a shortcut to the results of your experience and efforts? Thx
Appreciate 0