BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #67
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Deviating from that production standard would cost extra and hence make manuals an option - if they are available at all. I think it's just a question of when. Maybe they'll offer placebo manuals.
you mean like the m3 a few years ago, it did not fly, customers demanded manuals
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #68
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

placebo manuals

this is the second bimmer where the exact same thing happened to me -

do research, make decision, and troll dealerships with mind 100% made up to get manual
get frustrated because no manuals available
decide that i will just have to order the car and wait months
fall more in love with car and lose more patience the more cars i drive
begin to succumb to insidious machinations of wife that hates manuals
have instant gratification and wife win out and purchase perfect-in-every-way-but-tranny car

no regrets whatsoever. i would still be waiting now if i went with the manual, and i can't imagine liking this car any more. less fun? maybe so, but i'm comfortable with the trade-off. i drove manuals for the first 10 years of my driving life so i know what i'm missing (and not missing!)

btw, my salesman did the exact same nationwide search as you guys and came up with (i believe) the exact same two 6sp cars. imagine if we had all tried to buy them at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #69
Tradical
Rep
Drives:

For me the manual is hard to beat in the 135i. It is maybe the smoothest manual transmission I have driven.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #70
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I live in the LA area and while I am lucky enough to deal with only about 30 minutes of stop and go on a daily basis, I drive a stick. :thumbup:

To me, a manual vs an automatic is the difference between driving and steering. Is the automatic in the 135 competent and quick? Oh heck yeah! But does it make me love the car? Not a single damn bit.

The manual is light and easy - and to me, fun. I feel connected to the car, engaged with what it is doing and more in control. It might be a bit contrary to most of my life - I LOVE gadgets and technology and believe you me, my 135 on ED order has every available gadget, except the "premium" :iono: stereo.

But, it had to be stick, because for me that is what a car is about. It's a blend of man and machine in which you work with the machine to execute a downshift when and if you want, either on the freeway to merge on on a delightfully twisty canyon road.
Appreciate 0