BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M ETA JAN 2012

Anyone here with 1M who's driven TT RS??

Last car I drove with an engine that really surprised me was a TT RS - felt really sharp and powerful. Anyone here driven both have any views regarding throttle response, overall performance etc??

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

I've owned both. The TT's engine is streets ahead of the 1M's for character, the noise it makes is out of this world, but the extra half litre of displacement that the straight six possesses makes a difference in low rev flexibility, the TT was a pretty laggy and unresponsive until 2000 rpm. For general throttle response across the rev range I'd give it to the 1M.

Most of the miles I did in my TT were with it remapped to just over 400 hp, and it was much more responsive at low revs in this tune.

The stock 1M feels significantly faster than the stock TT did, almost as fast as the tuned TT in fact.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
I've owned both. The TT's engine is streets ahead of the 1M's for character, the noise it makes is out of this world, but the extra half litre of displacement that the straight six possesses makes a difference in low rev flexibility, the TT was a pretty laggy and unresponsive until 2000 rpm. For general throttle response across the rev range I'd give it to the 1M.

Most of the miles I did in my TT were with it remapped to just over 400 hp, and it was much more responsive at low revs in this tune.

The stock 1M feels significantly faster than the stock TT did, almost as fast as the tuned TT in fact.
Many thanks for that interesting comparison. The 1M MUST be seriously quick! I was VERY impressed with how hard the stock TT RS went.

Cheers,

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Quote:

Can you confirm this is a TT-RS you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I have not owned a TTRS but two of my friends have and I have had lots of serious seat time. Problem with the TTRS for me is grip...there is just too much of it! I like it how the 1M is such a playful car, with the ability to slide the tail at will. No such luck with TTRS, and at best you will induce understeer in most situations.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I have not owned a TTRS but two of my friends have and I have had lots of serious seat time. Problem with the TTRS for me is grip...there is just too much of it! I like it how the 1M is such a playful car, with the ability to slide the tail at will. No such luck with TTRS, and at best you will induce understeer in most situations.
Gotta love/hate quattro..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPY11 View Post
Snoopy11,

It MUST be the TT RS he's referring to given that he states amongst other things that:

"The TT's engine is streets ahead of the 1M's for character, the noise it makes is out of this world"

I've owned a TTS, and decent enough engine though the TTS has, it absolutely does NOT merit the above description!!

M
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPY11 View Post
Snoopy11,

It MUST be the TT RS he's referring to given that he states amongst other things that:

"The TT's engine is streets ahead of the 1M's for character, the noise it makes is out of this world"

I've owned a TTS, and decent enough engine though the TTS has, it absolutely does NOT merit the above description!!

M
Ha ha! Yes, I'm talking about the TT RS.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
1, but the tail will move in the wet, the only problem is you'd need to be a LEGEND to control it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
SNOOPY11
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mr View Post
Snoopy11,

M
Thanks but I was more confused about the "other things".

The stock 1M feels significantly faster than the stock TT did, as fast as the tuned TT in fact.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:

Thanks. This is good info. I was kinda/sorta considering the TT-S (TT-RS won't be available in US before September/October) before plunking down the deposit on the 1M.

Was yours a DSG car or manual? The DSG acceleration seems brutal.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0