BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Blue Ridge Parkway Questions

I'll be doing a PCD for my 1m next week and I'm thinking about taking the Blue Ridge Parkway back up to NY/NJ. Anybody have any suggestions? I have heard there are a lot of speed traps and that fines for tickets can be north of 1k. Is that true? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

I took that way back and it was a pretty smooth drive for the most part. I got on the blue ridge off of 77 and drove to the end of skyline drive. Encountered almost no traffic on blue ridge and no speed traps. Skyline drive was a different story though, a bit more cops and traffic so just check your speed; still worth it to take that way though.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
bloomjbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: MY 2008 135i

Blue Ridge route to NJ

First of all, congrats on your new 1M coupe! If you are looking to show it off, I’d love to see one in person!!

I think your idea of taking the BRP home is an excellent one. In regards to your question:

1) As far as the ticket situation goes, I've driven hundreds of miles on the BRP and haven't had any issues there. I'm not a crazy driver but I do have a V1 and I don't enjoy driving a fun car at 45mph through the mountains either.

2) The real time issue is that its a two lane road that has a max speed limit of 45mph. So you will likely encounter some 'Sunday' drivers on your trip.

3) It should be noted that the BRP is not cleared for snow so if we happen to get a layer of snow, they will close it off. Sometimes it is only sort segments but just keep that in mind. The viaduct is an easy one to get closed due to its vulnerability to weather.

That all being said, I would suggest you check out at least part of the BRP on your way. The most notable point for car guys is probably the Linn Cove Viaduct. It is one of the coolest structures that you can drive a car on and the view is awesome (on clearer days).

If you are looking for suggestions for a route that gets you some BRP time consider maybe doing this:

After leaving the Greenville, SC area, go to Asheville, NC via US HWY 25 North. Its a nicer drive than going I85 to I26.

Once in Asheville, you have two options: You can get on the BRP just east of Asheville off of I40 OR you can get on I40 east and go to Marion, NC (there is some good BBQ in Marion as well!).

Then go north on NC 226/US221 (follow 221) to Lineville Falls, NC. You’ll go under the BRP and take the ramp up to it. At the top of the ramp, you take a left and 5-10 miles from there is the viaduct / visitors center. Then you could follow the BRP into VA and jump off, in Roanoke perhaps, to hit the hard road.

In general we have tons of good driving roads in this area. US HWY 178 north of Pickens, SC, US 276 going to Ceasar’s Head, NC 64 is very twisty in places but these are all west of Greenville, Although you could create a route to catch some of this and end up in Asheville, NC if you have the time.

Hope this helps.

Joshua
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think the parkway's going to be pretty busy this time of year with tourists trying to catch the fall colors, although the peak has probably already passed. As bloomjbmw said, it's a two lane road with very few passing opportunities, and you're going to likely spend a lot of time behind minivans and motorcycles going 40, which can be incredibly frustrating.

All that said, I would definitely check it out, just don't plan on being able to drive too fast. In my experience, the parkway is a lot more enjoyable if you just sit back and enjoy the scenery at a semi-leisurely pace. It's a lot more fun looking at the mountains than the rear bumper of that van you're sure to be stuck behind.

Check out this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539531, and this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.426407&z=11 . Willwin2day is Donnie Isley, a driving instructor at the PC. He set up that drive for us, and he can probably recommend a good route for you too. The pisgah hwy in-particular was incredible, and probably will be much more enjoyable to you as a driver than the parkway. Donnie described his drive breaking in a 1M on that road here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538720 . You may also want to consider a detour to check out the tail of the dragon. I actually preferred Pisgah to it, but it's still a lot of fun, and something that every car enthusiast should checkout.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I drove it from the South end to the North end in mid-October and I did not see a cop until Virginia. I think I saw a total of 2. I tried to keep within 10 mph of the speed limit, as I usually do. On some corners, there is no problem. Especially when I did it because it rained most of the time. The worst traffic is the mobile homes and people towing campers. The road is narrow with no shoulder and these vehicles are too big, IMHO, and they drive REALLY slow. Passing opportunities are limited.

I don't know if tickets are a federal issue or not but a lot of the BRP is in a national forest. The tightest and for me most fun part is south of Ashville. There are lots of tunnels and the road is much tigher. As you go towards Virginia, in general the road flattens out. That made it harder to stay at least close to 45 mph.

This will not be a major test of your car or driving skills regardless of how much you push the speed. My theory was just to have fun and to get some photos along the way. Linville Falls is a nice chance for about a 2 mile walk through the woods to some nice spots for pictures. There is also a short walk spot if you don't want the longer hike.

Jim
      10-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

The BRP is the perfect road to break in your new 1M as there are few areas where constant speed is necessay - or adviseable. A total of sligtly more than 470 miles from Cherokee, NC to Waynesboro, VA of great mountain road and wonderful scenery.

As the peak foliage has passed, I suspect you won't find much traffic and the better drivers observe the BRP etiquette of turning into an overlook to allow faster vehicles to pass. Plus there are many spots were the road straightens out and passing is both safe and legal.

If they are still open, definitely have dinner (and lodging) at the Peaks of Otter near Milepost 86. Mabry Mill (MP 176) also has good food and a very interesting old mill.

But if you have the summer performance tires, be very careful as temps are lower at higher altitudes and snow may be an issue, even in November.

Enjoy the trip in your new ride!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Thanks for all the info guys! Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
1_In_The_Sun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Drove down BR prky during 2011 Rally Appalachia. We were all driving the speed limit - if anyone of the +70 cars got caught for speeding in the we park the whole rally would have been booted.

Fun drive, highly recommend. Watch out for hikers and bicyclists... Saw deer and Bear as well. Make some time for the Overlooks. We also went to Chimney Rock -

Great Drive... good hike.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
1_In_The_Sun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Try to travel during the week days instead of week end in order to avoid traffic; and yes, watch out for the speed traps. Drive safely and enjoy the ride:-):-):-)
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0