BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #45
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
BMW Z4: Design, Development and Production is the story of the creation of the Z4 from the first concept in the summer of 1998 until the delivery of customer cars in October 2002.
Thanks DNA- I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #46
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Just came back from the auto show yesterday and saw the 1er.

BUT I MUST say this car does not Impress at all. I was looking forward to buying this car because its incredible looks, lines and performance but, when I saw it in person my reaction was "This is it?".

My girlfriend who was with me just stayed quiet. Than she said, "You like this car?". First of all the color was horrible, but color aside this car would not be stunning in any color. At best the car has mediocore styling. I was a strong follower of the 1er but my dreams have gone down the drain. I was looking forward to buying the car but now... I am looking forward to buying a different car...

The Evo X! In all honesty I was pleasntly surprised. In photos this car looks exteremely ugly but when I saw it in person the MR just shined and the front styling was amazing. Mitsu stepped it up on the MR interior too. I was lucky enough to sit in both the MR and the GSR version (they were both locked but since I knew someone there they opened them both). The MR intereior is clean and upgraded with its navi system and control features integrated seamlessly into the steering wheel. The paint of the car was greatly improved (no more cheap thin paint). In all honesty I'm going to purchase the MR asap.

Ironic how pictures do not do justice.

Most stunning cars of Auto Show:
Exotics:
1. Audi R8 (Pure sexyness)
2. F430 Scuderia (Yummm)
3. Nissan GT-R (Sexy and affordable)
4. Porsche GT-2
1000. Lambo Reventon *Nasty* Lines do not flow and exagerated body kit w/ only 10hp more

Econo Sports:
1. Mitsu Evo X:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
2. Lexus IS F
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #47
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Interesting how folks with different predispositions generated from viewing photos are reacting in widely varied ways when seeing the real car... looking forward to comparing the Evo to the 135 at the Toronto show. Hopefully by that point they will be letting attendees actually sit in the cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #48
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

^^
Totally, I think the line is divided by preassumptions. Those who wants an exterior with clear intent will be disappointed. When I see an EVO on the road I immediately associate its driver with the word hooligan and expect the person to rev on me. The 135i is more discrete and I enjoy the sleeper appeal.

I love that rear I would totally tap it
      11-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #49
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

That Dark Gray Rear Diffuser Just Doesn't Match with ANY Color!

I appreciate that last photo, with the close-up view of the rear diffuser, highlighting the dissonance between the metallic red and matte gray of the diffuser. Unfortunately, no body color really goes well with it. It's almost as if though BMW were trying to make an in-your-face point like: "gee look folks, we've added a sport-looking and functional aerodynamic diffuser feature in the rear of this little car too". I wonder how many months it will take before BMW decides to simply paint it in the car's exterior color, or at least give customers the option to match its color. This color dissonance reminds me of the early E36 coupé models, which also had a dark gray bottom all along the perimeter, on all four sides; or of the carbon fiber side air scoops of the Audi R8. I think if BMW had introduced the 135i in Alpine White and with a painted diffuser, of course, we wouldn't be reading as many reports in this thread of guys who were disappointed by the real thing at the LA show. My opinion is that this was a tactical blunder by the marketing folks -- along with their decision not to feature this new coupé at the introduction of BMW Welt. Indeed, Alpine White isn't even a legitimate option yet for this model on the BMW car configurator, at their German web site.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #50
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Interesting how folks with different predispositions generated from viewing photos are reacting in widely varied ways when seeing the real car...
Yes! And the best thing about this thread is the divergence of views.
And I'm glad to see a real difference in opinions without anyone else going ape-shit.

The real test is when the 1er is off the dealer lots and on the roads.
That's when you finally get a real feeling for the car- whether your driving it or seeing it pass by...
the real-world comparison is the ultimate test instead of these artificial automobile beauty contests.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #51
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I love that rear I would totally tap it
The chick or the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #52
cuban135i
Rep
Drives:

I already booked my flight for Detroit's show. Do you guys think the 135i will be open to crawl inside and take some good pictures?
BTW, thanks for the review and pictures, MPower.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #53
AW09M3
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Yes! And the best thing about this thread is the divergence of views.
And I'm glad to see a real difference in opinions without anyone else going ape-shit.

The real test is when the 1er is off the dealer lots and on the roads.
That's when you finally get a real feeling for the car- whether your driving it or seeing it pass by...
the real-world comparison is the ultimate test instead of these artificial automobile beauty contests.

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #54
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post

Econo Sports:
2. Lexus IS F

You like the IS-F, you got to be crazy.

The consensus is the IS-F is ugly, proportions are all wrong. Especially those hideous tail pipes, UGLY.

Yes the Evo X is nice, but the interior materials aren't that great. The only thing going for the interior is the Recaro seats, but the fabrics, materials, etc... are low quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #55
Topmounter
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I'm certainly glad BMW didn't go down the STI/EVO styling route with any of their cars. I'm looking for a well-constructed, stealthy performance car, not a raucous cop-magnet with boy-racer styling.

Regardless, I'll need a couple long test drives with the 135i before making any sort of decision.

*edit* Wow, what is Lexus thinking? That IS-F monstrosity looks perfectly awful.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #56
C4talyst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
gay, u gotta like all the turds that put deposit's down. This car won't move the meter with the masses. In fact, the masses will say, wtf is that stupid car? :iono:
That's why they are the masses...80% of the intelligence is held by 20% of the population.

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #57
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I was a strong follower of the 1er but my dreams have gone down the drain. I was looking forward to buying the car but now... I am looking forward to buying a different car...

The Evo X!
i can't really see the outside of the car when i'm driving... anyone who will change their mind before driving this car (or any car) doesn't really value the car for what it does.

my $0.02!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #58
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ~ View Post
The chick or the car?
Both, but I take the chick before the car.
      11-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #59
Drace1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
You like the IS-F, you got to be crazy.

The consensus is the IS-F is ugly, proportions are all wrong. Especially those hideous tail pipes, UGLY.

Yes the Evo X is nice, but the interior materials aren't that great. The only thing going for the interior is the Recaro seats, but the fabrics, materials, etc... are low quality.

THE CONSENSUS.. I follow a thing called my Brain. I have an Evo 8 and 9 and previously e46 M3 and M-Coupe. The look of the 1er is surpisingly low quality. The interior looked pretty cheap-o from the outside and the styling looked cheesey. I sat in the Evo X (both models) and I can say the interior is a definite step up, especially in the MR.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #60
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
I appreciate that last photo, with the close-up view of the rear diffuser, highlighting the dissonance between the metallic red and matte gray of the diffuser. Unfortunately, no body color really goes well with it. It's almost as if though BMW were trying to make an in-your-face point like: "gee look folks, we've added a sport-looking and functional aerodynamic diffuser feature in the rear of this little car too". I wonder how many months it will take before BMW decides to simply paint it in the car's exterior color, or at least give customers the option to match its color. This color dissonance reminds me of the early E36 coupé models, which also had a dark gray bottom all along the perimeter, on all four sides; or of the carbon fiber side air scoops of the Audi R8. I think if BMW had introduced the 135i in Alpine White and with a painted diffuser, of course, we wouldn't be reading as many reports in this thread of guys who were disappointed by the real thing at the LA show. My opinion is that this was a tactical blunder by the marketing folks -- along with their decision not to feature this new coupé at the introduction of BMW Welt. Indeed, Alpine White isn't even a legitimate option yet for this model on the BMW car configurator, at their German web site.
I actually like this. It gives the rear end a more aggressive appearance IMO. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #61
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
THE CONSENSUS.. I follow a thing called my Brain. I have an Evo 8 and 9 and previously e46 M3 and M-Coupe. The look of the 1er is surpisingly low quality. The interior looked pretty cheap-o from the outside and the styling looked cheesey. I sat in the Evo X (both models) and I can say the interior is a definite step up, especially in the MR.
Well I will check out the Evo interior really good next week at the show and let you know. I am going by the pics I have seen and previous Evos. The 135i with prem pack and sport pack, has the same exact materials as a E90 or E92. My buddies E92 black leather on black wood looks very very nice.

And it still doesn't change the fact the IS-F is FUGLY! RS4, M3, C63 all look way better. Not the ricer IS-F.

Evo is way better than the IS-F, because its not trying to pass as a luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #62
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Most stunning cars of Auto Show:
Exotics:
1. Audi R8 (Pure sexyness)
2. F430 Scuderia (Yummm)
3. Nissan GT-R (Sexy and affordable)
4. Porsche GT-2
1000. Lambo Reventon *Nasty* Lines do not flow and exagerated body kit w/ only 10hp more

Econo Sports:
2. Lexus IS F

Dude, you were making some good points there, but lost ALL credibility when you said the GTR looks good.

And, can anyone find out if the oil cooler is standard or only with Sport?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 02:25 AM   #63
Robert
Major General
Rep

Congrats, M POWER you made Edbmw.com

http://www.edbmw.com/blog/2007/11/17...s-user-review/
      11-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #64
Brookside
Major
Rep

GAYWHEELS.com chooses Top 5 at LA Auto Show

I’m on a Google Alerts for anything about the 1-er. This is from today’s online edition of
GayWheels.com....thought it’s very interesting to see what made their top 5....some very good choices and a coupla’ woofies.
To see the 1-er on their list isn't really surprising- but the blurb on the cab re-inforces stereotype.
Note the discrepancy on the release date.

GayWheels.com picks Top 5 From the LA Auto Show

In its second year taking place in November, the Los Angeles International Auto show is establishing itself as a important event for the industry. We forced ourselves to go to all the parties and fabulous events in the city of Angels. The result? Our picks for the Top 5 notable introductions from gay-friendly manufacturers.

BMW 1-Series
2008 BMW 1 Series

Legions of gay boys and girls will rejoice for two reasons: BMW will be on our gay-friendly list as of January 1, 2008 and there is a now a more affordable way to join the spinning propeller club. The 1-Series is the spiritual successor to the infamous 2002 from 40 years ago and will carry on that lineage by offering stellar performance and seating for four at a more affordable price point than the 3-series. Available as a 128 Coupe or a 135 Coupe it goes on sale in Spring 2008. Worry not, a convertible is on its way as well.

Honorable Mention - MINI Clubman
2008 MINI Clubman
MINI showed it first in Frankfurt but the new MINI Clubman had its North American debut at Los Angeles. The Clubman offers more room and and extra door to the iconic MINI Cooper and the result is a more versatile pocket rocket. Favorite features: barn-door access to the rear cargo area and small rear door to ease ingress and egress. The Clubman goes on sale February 16th, 2008 as both a Cooper and a Cooper S model. The MINI Cooper Clubman will be offerd with a MSRP of $20,600, while the MINI Cooper S Clubman will come with a MSRP of $24,100.

In the top 5 are
1) 2009 Nissan Murano
2) 2008 GM Hybrid Truck/SUV’s
3) 2009 Lincoln MKS
4) 2008 Subaru WRX STI
5) BMW 1-series

and hon.mention to the Clubman
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #65
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Congrats, M POWER you made Edbmw.com

http://www.edbmw.com/blog/2007/11/17...s-user-review/
Finally someone understands that my views reign supreme! :biggrin:

(Yes, totally kidding. Like I said in my original post, your views will understandably differ.)

And I will probably be in the minority view that the IS-F looks stupid. It probably did not help any that the bimbo-girl they had on the stand was so dreadfully annoying but I think it just looks gimmicky. And when you compare it to the M3s, there is no way in hell I would consider an IS-F. But that is just me...

On the other hand, the R8 and 430 Scuderia were absolutely stunning. I even thought that the new S5 looked brilliant. And, amazingly, I was not that impressed with the Maserati GranTurismo. It looked good but black is definitely not the color to get in.
      11-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #66
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Finally someone understands that my views reign supreme! :biggrin:

(Yes, totally kidding. Like I said in my original post, your views will understandably differ.)

And I will probably be in the minority view that the IS-F looks stupid. It probably did not help any that the bimbo-girl they had on the stand was so dreadfully annoying but I think it just looks gimmicky. And when you compare it to the M3s, there is no way in hell I would consider an IS-F. But that is just me...

On the other hand, the R8 and 430 Scuderia were absolutely stunning. I even thought that the new S5 looked brilliant. And, amazingly, I was not that impressed with the Maserati GranTurismo. It looked good but black is definitely not the color to get in.
No worries MPower...I've got your number. You and I are WELL OVERDUE....its been weeks man.