BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Besh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M-sport 6MT

Sound Legit?!

Hi guys,

Situation: My car is for sale and I received that email today, and yeah, I don't know if I stress for nothing, but, there is something stange?

Copy/paste of the email

1. I was just thinking you might have had some other buyer's who are very much interested in buying the Vehicle from you so i think the best way to outbid them is by offering you an Additional $800.CAD to your own asking price on the Kijiji add, I won't be able come for the inspection of the Vehicle my self due to present Job But But i have a pick-up Agent who will be contacting you about where and when the picking of the Vehicle will taking place after have completed the payment transaction with you.

I'm actually purchasing the Vehicle for my Parent residing in Ontario . Please tell me a little more about the present mechanical condition and how often you do the service or if possible the history then we can take it from there.

I will wait to read from and if we come to a quick agreement i will proceed with the payment immediately..

2. Thank you for the details provided , Am very much interested in buying it from you now so you don't have to look around for any other buyer. Like i said in my previous email that am actually buying it for my Parents as a surprise but before i can send it sent it to them i really have to make sure that the vehicle is in a good condition and i hope you understand my point that there is no way i come to do the inspection of the Vehicle my self, the Car will be picked by an agent that will be coming over to pick the Vehicle and transport it to my Parents in Ontario, Whatever you tell me about the good and the bad aspect of the Vehicle is what i will believe and also inform the Pick-up agent

After have completed the payment the agent will contact you about where and when the pick up will take place and they will also be of assistance to do the change of ownership when they get there. but before i proceed with the Payment is there is any problem which you're yet to mention that i should know , please let me know now and please please remove the add online now till we complete the transaction

If you can please send me your PayPal Email now and i will make the Payment right away.

Ola Re

What do you guys think?

As usual, thank you in advance for your input !

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

too many typos. not legit

Just kidding. I'm not really sure how this works? How is he paying you? through paypal? I would maybe talk to a paypal agent or something. Would be crappy for him to do something like minute and paypal back him up or something.

I heard paypal usually screws over the seller...

edit: does this guy have a facebook or something you can identify with? At least to confirm he is a real human or something.
      07-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I heard paypal usually screws over the seller...
I have encountered this first hand.

Also, does not sound legit. Anything with an "agent" / "not able to come in person" are serious warning signs.
      07-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Sounds totally fake to me. Never mentions the car's make, model, etc. Only talks about processes and I bet you describe half the things he's asking for you to tell him about.

Classic fraud/scam. Pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Scam. Nobody spells that bad without it being a scam.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

I've had this type of thing before. I just start responding to them and say crazy stuff. Like ask where they live, then say they are in luck because you are going to be in their town next week on business and you can deliver it in person, but then ask them if they can help show you around because you are lonely and really would like to meet a new friend, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

http://www.419eater.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
drufe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Garage List
2011 135i Coupe  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
I've had this type of thing before. I just start responding to them and say crazy stuff. Like ask where they live, then say they are in luck because you are going to be in their town next week on business and you can deliver it in person, but then ask them if they can help show you around because you are lonely and really would like to meet a new friend, etc. etc.
LOL! +1
2011 135i m-sport dct | cobb ap | berk street axle back | tc kline sa coilovers, swift springs | dinan camber plates | lci blacklines | lux angel eyes | scopione cf front lip and rear diffuser | bmwp cf rear spoiler and side skirts, apex ec-7 18x8.5 et45; 18x9.5 et58 | hankook v12 245/35/18f, 265/35/18r w/5 mm spacers | apex stud conversion kit
coming soon: m3 control arms; er charge pipe; cobb fmic
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Scam +1000
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Scam. I get these messages from kijiji scammers all the time, for anything. I had wheels for sale, a blender, a cell phone, and all the same emails. From a phony email that is generic. They tell you they will pay more than asking and that they will send someone to pick up the car. If you follow through, they'll send you a bull plop email "from PayPal" saying that money is in your account and it will be released when the car is in their possession, but really it is a bogus email. Don't fall for it! It's notorious in Canada for some reason. I have the same scammers for everything I sell on kijiji.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

A guy was trying to scam me out of a PS2 a while back. Wanted me to send it to Nigeria, as a birthday gift for his daughter. I strung him along for DAYS, telling him I wanted to find the perfect gift wrap, then the perfect card. All the while, he's begging me to just send it already, but I keep telling him I want to do it right, so I just need one more day to find the right wrapping, then one more day to find the right card, etc. Finally, he says, "are you trying to scam me?" Oh, the irony!
      08-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Total scam.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
+1 for scam.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Seems legit.

But really, typically real people that are interested in the car will email short and simple questions and ask when they can come see it, not write elaborate stories. If you have to ask if its legit, almost every time its definitely not.

Another thing...., no one will "add" to your asking price, you'll more than likely get talked down if it were real. Also, take note of words scammers use capital letters on. "Car" "Parents" "Vehicle" "Payment", its a way of luring in weak minded people by triggering key words in the brain.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
scam scam totally a scam.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Scam. Basis: I grew up in NY.
      08-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
A guy was trying to scam me out of a PS2 a while back. Wanted me to send it to Nigeria, as a birthday gift for his daughter. I strung him along for DAYS, telling him I wanted to find the perfect gift wrap, then the perfect card. All the while, he's begging me to just send it already, but I keep telling him I want to do it right, so I just need one more day to find the right wrapping, then one more day to find the right card, etc. Finally, he says, "are you trying to scam me?" Oh, the irony!
^I need to start doing this. I sell on Craigslist/eBay too often and just disregard them. "I wanted to find the perfect gift wrap"

edit: but yeah OP, clearly a scam. I've heard all of that stuff before. Adding $ on top, "pick-up agents", it's the same thing every time. I feel terrible for people who fall for this stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Anything with an "agent" / "not able to come in person" are serious warning signs.
This.

How often would you expect to have a situation where someone wants to send an "agent" because they can't come themselves? Possible, but pretty rare, right? Yet on Kijiji it happens all the time, and to myself twice personally (once was actually on Autotrader). I don't know what their end-game is but totally bogus.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

lol 100% scam
      08-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

This has all the hallmarks of a well known scam using PayPal.
Google "used car Paypal scam" and you'll see numerous examples similar to the offer you received.

Last edited by bimmerfile; 08-01-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Tell them to bring cash!
      08-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besh View Post
Hi guys,

Situation: My car is for sale and I received that email today, and yeah, I don't know if I stress for nothing, but, there is something stange?

Copy/paste of the email

1. I was just thinking you might have had some other buyer's who are very much interested in buying the Vehicle from you so i think the best way to outbid them is by offering you an Additional $800.CAD to your own asking price on the Kijiji add, I won't be able come for the inspection of the Vehicle my self due to present Job But But i have a pick-up Agent who will be contacting you about where and when the picking of the Vehicle will taking place after have completed the payment transaction with you.

I'm actually purchasing the Vehicle for my Parent residing in Ontario . Please tell me a little more about the present mechanical condition and how often you do the service or if possible the history then we can take it from there.

I will wait to read from and if we come to a quick agreement i will proceed with the payment immediately..

2. Thank you for the details provided , Am very much interested in buying it from you now so you don't have to look around for any other buyer. Like i said in my previous email that am actually buying it for my Parents as a surprise but before i can send it sent it to them i really have to make sure that the vehicle is in a good condition and i hope you understand my point that there is no way i come to do the inspection of the Vehicle my self, the Car will be picked by an agent that will be coming over to pick the Vehicle and transport it to my Parents in Ontario, Whatever you tell me about the good and the bad aspect of the Vehicle is what i will believe and also inform the Pick-up agent

After have completed the payment the agent will contact you about where and when the pick up will take place and they will also be of assistance to do the change of ownership when they get there. but before i proceed with the Payment is there is any problem which you're yet to mention that i should know , please let me know now and please please remove the add online now till we complete the transaction

If you can please send me your PayPal Email now and i will make the Payment right away.

Ola Re

What do you guys think?

As usual, thank you in advance for your input !

-Eric

Misspelled and randomly capitalized words...not to mention the double period. This guy is trying to rip you off! I'll usually mess with them for a bit, but don't by any means think this is a legitimate buyer.
Appreciate 0