E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > sat prep for $75 can I use XM????

04-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ordered blk s 330 sp, pr, cold

sat prep for $75 can I use XM????

If I get this can I use the set up w/XM instead of Sirius, plug and play?

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited by h_curtis; 04-03-2006 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
kdan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 coupe

lmao, i thought this was about the SAT exam bc of the thread title
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
NJjustin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330i W/Sport

Yes from what I have read. There is an XM adapter that works with sirius sat-prep cars.

I think this is compatible with the e90..not 100%

http://www.xmradio.com/xmdirect/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW only supports Sirius

Dont know about aftermarket non-BMW stuff
      04-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjustin
Yes from what I have read. There is an XM adapter that works with sirius sat-prep cars.

I think this is compatible with the e90..not 100%

http://www.xmradio.com/xmdirect/index.jsp
I use the XM Direct box to trick the Sirius sat-ready headunit in my e46 into thinking it's a Sirius receiver. Works great.
Unfortunately, they have not yet developed an XM Direct box for the e90.
      04-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Chuck_IV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
This is "supposed" to be the adapter that works with the new MOST bus: http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...5012&langId=-1

It's not out yet, however. The other issue is the system would need to be coded for this to work and the question arises as to whether the dealer can and/or will code it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, this sounds tough. I may be stuck with Sirius at this time? I have XM in my house and current car and like it. Not sure what I am going to do. I could try Sirius, I guess.

Thanks for the info so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

There's a lot to listen to on sirius
most will find something they like (even non stern fans)

they just added a couple comedy channels (they were weak on comedy)
they also just added the playboy channel (not sure why this even exists?? I can't SEE through radio)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If one of these XM adapters comes out, will you just be able to plug it in to the trunk. I really don't want to be ripping the dash out. If I went with Sirius I have read in a search on here that people are not happy with the reception and quality of sound. I am happy with XM in my TSX. Is there a way to make it better via after market set up by using the wires in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis
If one of these XM adapters comes out, will you just be able to plug it in to the trunk. I really don't want to be ripping the dash out. If I went with Sirius I have read in a search on here that people are not happy with the reception and quality of sound. I am happy with XM in my TSX. Is there a way to make it better via after market set up by using the wires in the trunk?
If (big "if" here) an XM Direct is indeed developed for the E90, it will very likely be a direct plug-in in the trunk (no dash removal). In the E46, you need a Blitzsafe adapter that plugs into the CD changer harness in the drivers' side wheel well cavity behind the liner, and then the XM direct plugs in to the Blitzsafe. You also need an XM antenna -- but perhaps the E90 application, if it is developed, will allow use of the sharkfin.
I am happy with XM in my E46. My wife is happy with Sirius in her E90. I'd be happy with Sirius in my E46 and she'd be happy with XM in her E90. Her reception is better than mine (in DC metro area). Her sound quality is at least as good as mine -- and mine is very good.
Get the Sirius -- it's a no-brainer if you're already a SAT Radio fan.
Mike
      04-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #11
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
Get the Sirius -- it's a no-brainer if you're already a SAT Radio fan.
Mike
Okay, I didn't order Sirius in the car as an option. What if I decide to get it? Do I have to pay the Dealer $595 to put the Sirius receiver in the car, or is there an after market or better option to get it? If I do something other than the dealer, I guess I wouldn't get Sirius for free for a year I guess?

Thanks for the replies?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #12
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone used the sat. prep for XM on here in their e90? I hope I am not the first.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone used the sat. prep for XM on here in their e90? I hope I am not the first.
The Sat Prep ($75?) simply runs the necessary cabling from the trunk to the dash. Without it, you MUST go with some sort of aftermarket system. Everyone who has the stock Sirius system installed must have Sat Prep -- for $75 this is also a no-brainer. In other words, Sat Prep is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the stock Sirius radio set-up in our cars. There are threads on this forum from people who are kicking themselves for not getting it, and now wanting Sirius.
If you can still change your order, have the factory install the Sirius receiver too ($500 or so?). They'll do it correctly. If not, the dealer can do it -- but some of them are idiots and will screw it up, pehaps temporarily, but still a pain in your a$$. You only get the free year if it is factory or dealer installed.
      04-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
Chuck_IV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
For now, I just went out and picked up a closeout Roady 2 from Comp USA for $15. I stuck(dbl sided tape) the antenna on the inside ledge, behind the rear seats(right behind the middle Latch system anchor) and ran the cable under the seat to the middle console/armrest, where I put the Roady 2. I use the Aux In for a connection. I may end up putting the Roady 2 in where the ashtray is, as it fits well right there.

It was a no brainer to spend the $15 for the Roady 2 until the adapter comes out. The antenna placement is very unnoticeable(I have a black interior) and it does a surprising good job holding a signal(I hardly have any dropouts at all).

Kimo,

I thought a read somewhere, that you could use the pre-installed sharkfin antenna on the E46 by just shaving the prongs off the inside of the antenna connection hole on the XM Direct.

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 04-05-2006 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
There are threads on this forum from people who are kicking themselves for not getting it, and now wanting Sirius.
If you can still change your order, have the factory install the Sirius receiver too ($500 or so?). They'll do it correctly. If not, the dealer can do it -- but some of them are idiots and will screw it up, pehaps temporarily, but still a pain in your a$$. You only get the free year if it is factory or dealer installed.
I am going to try and add it. I just read where people are getting it installed at the dealer and getting crushed. Hope they can let me add it. I just ordered the car yesterday, but the build date is Friday start I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #16
Chuck_IV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I am going to try and add it. I just read where people are getting it installed at the dealer and getting crushed. Hope they can let me add it. I just ordered the car yesterday, but the build date is Friday start I think.
The instruction sheet has a suggested install time of just 1 hr, which includes the time it take to code the vehicle for the new box. Knowing this, if the dealer tries to stick it to you, mention the document, or better yet, pull out a copy and remind him that it says only an hr. That should help keep the labor cost down.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
If I get this can I use the set up w/XM instead of Sirius, plug and play?

Thanks,
Curt

Switch to Sirius, do it for Howard
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
ScottiePP7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SG 325 xi

"hoo hoo, I invented Sat. radio in an e90.

Tell 'em Fred!"

I am actually waiting for an XM direct also. For now I am just using the cheap Roady2 plugged into my AUX-IN and having the antenna on the back shelf....unfortunately there are no repeaters in my area (Northeast PA) and my reception stinks not having it on the outside. But alas, I am an XM fan and I don't want to switch

I know people say they are the same service and its equal, but I am just an XM, O&A, Ron/Fez fan. I heart my e90 but I really want this adapter and I want it soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
steve40704
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

If you have sat prep you can easily hook your XM receiver into the "sirius" antenna housed in the shark fin. No need to rig a second XM antenna on the trunklid. Both companies use a standard SMB connector. Like many, I am waiting for the terk/audiovox solution. For now i run a cable out of the trunk and under the seats to my MyFi. Reception is great!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #20
ScottiePP7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Steve40704, I saw your post over at 411 also. This comes as great news to me and I think other people will be glad to hear this. I am ordering my extension right after I finish posting this. If I understand your posts correctly all I will need to do is shave down the adapter on the end of the extension cord so it will fit into the sirius connection that my sat. ready vehicle has?

Thanks in advance,
Scottie
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #21
steve40704
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

yep. read a lot of blogs and never saw that anyone had tried this. was shocked to find how easy it was. this is the next best thing for xm fans waiting for a unit that works w/ existing controls.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #22
ScottiePP7
Enlisted Member
Rep

I dont think you have any idea how happy you just made me.

For anyone following along, when I get the cable I will take pics of where everything hooks up and how it is done just in case someone cares.

XM through the sharkfin......I can't wait
Appreciate 0