BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
128i Coupe - Took the plunge

Hi guys, as of last Thursday I am the proud owner of a CPO'd SGM 2008 128i Coupe.

Details:

128i Coupe
6spd manual
Sparkling Graphite
Premium Package
Sports Package
Comfort Package
USB Integration

Came with a front wheel alignment, "extra" oil change (sooner than the upcoming interval), four brand new Bridgestone Potenza RFT's and of course the additional 2 year or 160,000km certified pre-owned warranty.

Owning a small BMW with an inline 6 has been a dream of mine for some time. This is also my first manual transmission car...still getting used to driving a stick and unsure if I like it (sometimes when I feel "on" its fun, other times it seems a pain) but I will report back on that after I've had the car for a few weeks/months. I did find a nice windy road with lots of hills and a twists and turns parallel to a small river/ravine and I found the car handled extremely well when pushed at the edge. Very confidence inspiring.

I bought the car from Oscar Orellana at Parkview BMW. Oscar is a good guy and took the time to make sure I was comfortable with the car. If you are interested in purchasing a BMW soon I recommend you give him a shot at earning your business. Oscar's website is http://www.bmwclient.com/.

Another good sales person I came across was Andrew Mulder at BMW Durham. Although I did not buy from him I would have if he had the car I was looking for. Both Andrew and Oscar are recommended for a good sales experience.

Well...the fuel warning is coming on (200+ kms in four days) so I guess I better fill 'er up! Happy driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Yo, haven't spoken to ya in ages man. Congrats on the car! Finally an official 1er now eh :P

We should setup another potential 1er meet at some point in August or September
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

Congrats on the car man. I knew Oscar would treat you right. I found him to be the most down to earth out of all the other SAs i've met with.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
Congrats on the car man. I knew Oscar would treat you right. I found him to be the most down to earth out of all the other SAs i've met with.
Yep, it was your post recommending him that made me think of giving him a call. It was a good thing too because although I did not buy from him on the first visit we at least established a rapport that made it easier when I found out later down the road Parkview had a used 1er that I might like. What are the odds?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
Yo, haven't spoken to ya in ages man. Congrats on the car! Finally an official 1er now eh :P

We should setup another potential 1er meet at some point in August or September
Yeah man, been keeping busy! Had fun at the last meet, nice to see so many people enjoying their cars.

I'm down for another meet. Now I'll have something to finally show
In the mean time I'm usually good for a smaller Cars and Coffee meet on weekends if you or anybody else are interested. Just suggest a time and place.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Okay folks, just thought I'd give an update on my experience with the 128i has been.

First off now that I am used to driving a manual transmission I like it a lot. I get a sense of satisfaction with every shift that's properly executed. In some ways I feel in greater harmony with the car and the engine. I think the control that it offers is something that you don't realize having never driven one. Just gotta stay away from that rush hour traffic (driving stick in traffic is every bit as bad as everyone I've ever met in life has led me to believe).

That aside, I am really enjoying the car itself. It is the perfect size (although the trunk and the back seats are a little squished, fortunately I do not need them much). I won't go into every detail of what I like and I don't like as they've been repeated many times over on this forum but let's just say that this is definitely a driver's car and I feel good about myself on every on-ramp, every long highway trip, every precise shift, ever corner conquered, etc. The feeling I get when I grip that near perfectly sized steering wheel and the confidence I experience knowing that the car will react to every subtle input is a rewarding experience.

Perhaps I would say that the 128i could do with a little more power down low in the engine range but all in all for the price I paid I can't think of another small car that could reward the driver with such a terrific balance of luxury and sportiness. And I've still had a few white knuckle moments where I caught myself going too fast out of a corner or on a ramp so it's not exactly slow either.

No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Oh and I should add that the leatherette sport seats are incredibly comfortable. At first the side bolsters felt awkward but now that I am used to them I realize they are some of the most comfortable seats I've had the pleasure to drive in.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Thinking of modding your car yet lol?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Way to go!

Best of luck and enjoyment. Sport package is def an option not to be missed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Best of luck and enjoyment. Sport package is def an option not to be missed!
Your car is sick, man!!! Me like!! What kind of rims are those? They go perfect with the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Congrats....... enjoy that 1er..
Appreciate 0