BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

coilovers making clunking sounds

ok so i fixed the rubbing issue that i had on these coilovers (eibach multi-pro r2) but now there is a clunking sound that is coming off what seems to be the struts or the top mount on every single bump i encounter. i researched through the forums and couldnt find the exact problem i have with mine so i figured creating a new thread would bring out more responses.

so the mutli pro r2 kit comes with remote reservoirs on all four coils which i securely mounted to the car so it does not make sounds. therefor to me, theres only way there could be a clunking sound and that would be due to the installation of the top mount. i got the instructions from eibach and it says to just use the oem washer and the top mount right after that, so that is what i did. but after i put them in, all i hear is metal on metal from every bump in the road.

ive knocked it down to two possibilities, 1) some people say that the nut might not be on all the way allowing play from the top mount creating the sound or, 2) when i bought the coils used, there was what seems to be a spacer that was placed on the shock before the top mount gets secured on which was not mentioned in the set of instructions.

in response, i have to say 1) how do i know if the nut is not ALL the way on to secure the top mount on, and 2) when i removed the spacer to see what would happen, the top mount slid past the end of the threads creating some play room for the top mount to move up and down.

any suggestions? i know i should have posted some pics of the problem but as of now, my hands are dirty and im tired as hell. haha any advice would be a blast. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I've had what sounds to be the same problem with my KW V1's. It's a rattle that's most noticeable over abrupt jarring type bumps while traveling at sub 30mph type speeds. My mechanic located the problem and fixed it but it came back on one side. I've heard others complain about the same issue and it definitely has to do with installation and should be fixable. Sorry that I can't tell you what to tighten but at least now you know that others have the same issue.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I've had what sounds to be the same problem with my KW V1's. It's a rattle that's most noticeable over abrupt jarring type bumps while traveling at sub 30mph type speeds. My mechanic located the problem and fixed it but it came back on one side. I've heard others complain about the same issue and it definitely has to do with installation and should be fixable. Sorry that I can't tell you what to tighten but at least now you know that others have the same issue.
man that stinks. i guess ill have to work on it again later. thanks for the input buddy!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

i have the same sound from my PSS10's and i bought them new if that helps
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

I have just run into the same exact issue when my rear JIC's were installed! They say the mounts are tight but start to spin when tightening.

Another thing is my ABS Brake warning lights keep coming on. THey said they had to bend the abs brackets a little bit to clear. I sure hope that isn't going to be a problem over and over.

Anyone else have this issue???

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I had a clunking sound that was driving me crazy. I heard it over small imperfections in the road and it was more noticeable at low speeds. If it happens at low speeds, on uneven type roads, small bumps and humps, then maybe it is sway bar related. My end-links had loosened over time where the end-link bolts to the shock. Check this nut and make sure its tight. It may not be it, but its worth a look. Hope this helps.

Tim
      04-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

I'm with Tim on the sway bar making noises.

Your post starts off saying 'I fixed my rubbing, but now...". This leads me to believe that whatever you did to fix the rubbing caused the clunking to happen. If the clunking was not happening before you fixed the rubbing, then something you did caused it.

Check that the sway bar is on correctly and that the drop links and bushings are tight. It is possible to mount the sway bar upside down, and the result will be a clunking over bumps (ask me how I know).

HTH,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! I will have the tech double check the sway bar links today and report back. I'm not sure if he had to loosen the sway bar to install the shocks or not...

2008 135i AT, iDriveNAV, Remus quad exhaust, A.P. DP/MP/IC, Custom Oil Cooler, BMS JB4/Meth/DCI, JIC Cross Coilovers/Camber Plates/STB, BMWP rotors, EBC Track pads, Motul Fluid, CF Hood, BMWP Kidneys, black painted roof/mirrors, BMWP CF rear spoiler, Roof Spoiler. VMR V710 18" Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
cecilcohen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 Alpine White

I just purchased a 135 and have the same issue on my Multi R2's. Its coming from the drivers front. Sounds like a blown strut almost...jiggle type clunking over small bumps and loud smacks over big bumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
I have this too on my 128i. I think I have located the problem.

Open your hood, locate the top point of your suspension and remove the small black cap. Take a look at the nut that your screwed in when your placed the spring on the strut. If that looks to be un-threaded or close to popping out, there is your problem.

Just checked that out on my 128 and that was the issue. On Sunday I am going to tighten that down and return with some results.
      05-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
wildcat767676
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat767676 View Post
Thanks guys! I will have the tech double check the sway bar links today and report back. I'm not sure if he had to loosen the sway bar to install the shocks or not...
So I took the rear apart at my house and found the rear shocks were too long causing a preload to the shock. I shortened the length and the ride improved dramatically!! A lot of the clunking went away too but it's still there. I did notice the coil springs are metal to metal on the lower control arms.....are your guys that way??

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
i had the same clunking noise and it turned out to be one of the sway bar end link was loose, after I tighten it up, no more problems
Appreciate 0