BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Carbon Buildup and cleaning

After looking through some threads regarding the N54 and the issues with how the DI system causes crap to build on the intake valves, I was quite horrified. Here's a recent example:

Before cleaning:

After cleaning:

Apparently meth injection and an oil catch can help reduce such nasties. However, I have neither of these things so I'm thinking my engine would look pretty bad by now.

Anyone know of a place in Sydney who can do the job of reliably cleaning the intake valves? I think the DIY is slightly beyond my ability.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
The car in this example had quite about 70,000 kilometers on it, and it's also worth bearing in mind the difference in fuels between the US/ Canada and here. That being said it'll be something to consider once your car is getting on a bit.

Best to link the thread for people to read full story methinks.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520035
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Seems like Aussies are more comfortable with ignoring the problem rather than finding a solution for it!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Found this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=520035&page=2
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
recce
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & 335i

During my days driving a WRX, it was recomended by Subaru that every 10,000km, the engine will need to be treated with subaru's "Top engine cleaner". Because all boxer engine will have carbon built up quickly, the "engine cleaner" will clean the scams and carbon built up within the intake manifold. It cost about $14 bucks from subaru and all you need is to spay it into the manifold via one of the vacum tube while the engine is running. You then stop the engine for about 10-15min and re-start agian. This time, take the car for a good blast and it will clear all scam and carbon built up in the intake manifold.

Not sure if BMW have such product on their shelf
      04-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce View Post
During my days driving a WRX, it was recomended by Subaru that every 10,000km, the engine will need to be treated with subaru's "Top engine cleaner". Because all boxer engine will have carbon built up quickly, the "engine cleaner" will clean the scams and carbon built up within the intake manifold. It cost about $14 bucks from subaru and all you need is to spay it into the manifold via one of the vacum tube while the engine is running. You then stop the engine for about 10-15min and re-start agian. This time, take the car for a good blast and it will clear all scam and carbon built up in the intake manifold.

Not sure if BMW have such product on their shelf
Might go and have a chat with my mates @ Subaru and see what they say.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Seems like Aussies are more comfortable with ignoring the problem rather than finding a solution for it!

No, and don't turn this into e90 where people are quick to flame. I was simply helping out by linking the OP you referenced to make sure people can read the full story.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post

No, and don't turn this into e90 where people are quick to flame. I was simply helping out by linking the OP you referenced to make sure people can read the full story.
Nah mate your reply was good, I was merely disappointed at the lack of response from other members. My car's 09 and is racking up kms, and this is becoming a concern.

Surely there are members here with 08 cars clocking over 50,000km who need to definitely look into this? Just wondering if there is a local solution to the problem, which currently does not seem to be the case.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Nah mate your reply was good, I was merely disappointed at the lack of response from other members. My car's 09 and is racking up kms, and this is becoming a concern.

Surely there are members here with 08 cars clocking over 50,000km who need to definitely look into this? Just wondering if there is a local solution to the problem, which currently does not seem to be the case.
OIC. Apologies.

From what I can see (and boiling it down a bit) it's a case of opening up the engine, grabbing a scrubbing brush and some cleaning agents and then going to work on it for a few hours. Not sure if the "upper engine cleaner" used by the Subaru crowd would do any good but it'd be nice to find out.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
recce
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & 335i

Guys,

I got this off subaru's website:

Q: My Subaru’s maintenance schedule includes an Upper Engine Cleaner to be performed, what is this?
A:
Engine power output is created by the burning of fuel in a vehicle’s cylinders. As petrol is a hydrocarbon fuel, made up of hydrogen and carbon, after combustion it leaves carbon as a by-product or deposit. Over a relatively short period of time the carbon deposits on the walls of the combustion chamber, the piston crown (top surface), and on the valves, can result in the deterioration of engine efficiency. This may lead to poor fuel economy, reduced power and harder starting.

To overcome this situation, the factory has formulated ‘Upper Engine Cleaner (SA459)’, which is a concentrated combustion chamber and induction system cleaner. This product helps clean and purge gum, varnish, and carbon deposits. Using this solvent during scheduled servicing has proven to be a valuable form of preventative maintenance.

If your vehicle were subjected to regular stop/start driving, short trips, or poor fuel quality, the build up of gum, varnish, and carbon deposits would be far more rapid. In addition to ‘Upper Engine Cleaner (SA459)’, we suggest the use of ‘SA718 Fuel Additive’ to maximise your engine’s protection against such concerns.

Both products have been specially formulated by Fuji Heavy Industries, the manufacturer of your Subaru vehicle, to be compatible with the Subaru horizontally opposed engine and it’s technically advanced electronics. These products are available through all authorised Subaru Dealers.
      04-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

The Upper Engine Cleaner is AWESOME!

When i had my workshop a couple of years ago, i would use this as part of a service on many jap model cars. i did some research back in the day while a mate was a tech at Subaru and it doesn't hurt to use it on any engine.

pump it into the intake manifold vac line and let it sit for a while then turn the car on rev it up and all the crap goes through the exhaust!

I'm new with the 135 (coming from an all jap garage) so don't quote me if theres something in place thats different to any non bmw engine!

Only cost $25 from memory
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Fuel additive does not work on the N54 since it is direction injection, so the fuel never ever touches the intake valves.

The engine cleaner sounds more promising since it is injected via the vac line, but I'm not sure how useful it is as something other than preventative maintenance. The guys at E90 post had to do some hard scrubbing to get the gunk off.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack135 View Post
The Upper Engine Cleaner is AWESOME!

When i had my workshop a couple of years ago, i would use this as part of a service on many jap model cars. i did some research back in the day while a mate was a tech at Subaru and it doesn't hurt to use it on any engine.

pump it into the intake manifold vac line and let it sit for a while then turn the car on rev it up and all the crap goes through the exhaust!

I'm new with the 135 (coming from an all jap garage) so don't quote me if theres something in place thats different to any non bmw engine!

Only cost $25 from memory
I am not sure if it was the thread that I posted if not it would be in one of the other threads - someone done some test it doesn't work for the intake valve build up.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just out of curiosity if I was to buy a walnut blaster through bmw to do a DIY walnut blast myself, would anyone else here be interested in 'hiring' it for a fee?

BMW - part 81 29 2 208 034

http://www.minitechinfo.com/tsb/atta...ing_Manual.pdf

Using the walnut method is much quicker and more effective then using a wire bush. One may also think that this would be a safer option as the walnut shell blasting media would simply oxidise upon combustion if it was to enter the chamber, whereas stainless wires from a wire brush could cause engine damage.

This is just a concept at this stage, but please let me know if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

How much does that cost?

I know there is a site, harbour something I think, that sells the walnut blasting machines and walnut shells pretty cheap. Almost too cheap. I think it was like <$50 for a machine and a large packet of shells was also really cheap.
      05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
How much does that cost?

I know there is a site, harbour something I think, that sells the walnut blasting machines and walnut shells pretty cheap. Almost too cheap. I think it was like <$50 for a machine and a large packet of shells was also really cheap.
I believe its around $800-1000 for the unit alone which is expensive, but damn they do a great job in literally seconds as opposed to hours picking away at the carbon buildup by hand with a wire brush and chemicals.

It isn't really all that cost effective to buy this unit solely for myself, so I was thinking if I could find five guys willing to hire it for say $100 it would make the purchase price a tad easier to swallow.

I presume you're referring to the us franchise harbor freight? They supply cheap tools in the USA, and whilst I haven't used any of their products it would be interesting to see what their walnut blaster is like.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Found the item you were referring to:

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-37025.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-...dia-92150.html

Thread with member using this equipment:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645616
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Nick135i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

drjekl and others,

I have a unit that is similar to this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANDBLAST...-/150625831024

it is near new and I have a 20kg bag of walnut shells. I originally bought it with the intention of cleaning the inlet manifold of my car. However I have subsequently sold the car.

The walnut media is available for $28 + gst.

I have never actually used it for cleaning the inlet valves (just used it to sandblast car parts) - but I can't imagine why it would not be perfect for cleaning inlet valves with walnut shells.

I am not using it and I am open to offers. It would be way way cheaper than the figures quoted above.

I can post some pictures of my unit on Saturday.

Nick
      05-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick135i View Post
drjekl and others,

I have a unit that is similar to this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANDBLAST...-/150625831024

it is near new and I have a 20kg bag of walnut shells. I originally bought it with the intention of cleaning the inlet manifold of my car. However I have subsequently sold the car.

The walnut media is available for $28 + gst.

I have never actually used it for cleaning the inlet valves (just used it to sandblast car parts) - but I can't imagine why it would not be perfect for cleaning inlet valves with walnut shells.

I am not using it and I am open to offers. It would be way way cheaper than the figures quoted above.

I can post some pictures of my unit on Saturday.

Nick
Would $300 be in the ball park?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

Re Jeef Beefs Post-I've got an '08 with over 100,000k on it.
Had carbon build up at 45,000k's and again at 95,000k's.
Do a reasonable amount of stop start driving but also do at least 3-4 freeway trips around an hour (or more) a fortnight. Cost about $550-600 from memory at the dealers to get done.
Had a noticeable drop in power and a slight hesitation under acceleration which caused me to put the car into the dealers where it was diagnosed and fixed and I was shown before and after pics. Anyone who thinks they dont have too worry about this once they get over 40,000k's is in for a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

wonder if theres anywhere in Sydney that do it cheap. I'll have a chat to my mechanic in Manlyvale, rather than taking it to a stealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #22
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

I guess those of us with N52 motors don't have to worry about this, but I remember reading that sludge build-up can be a problem with the NA motors. The place where I get my car serviced (BMTS in Brendale, Brisbane) does a motor flush at every oil change, which I have done every 12.5-13k km. Is this part of dealer servicing?
Appreciate 0