BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #4225
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Man, that SUCKS! Any chance you bought the road hazard insurance thing for them? If so, they may just give you new ones.

I gotta think though if you had runflats on there, it'd be even WORSE and would have destroyed your rims, too. Make sure you get them spun and checked to make sure they aren't bent subtly, too. I feel your pain.
It was suppose to come with road hazard but for some odd reason, it did not. I did a phone order and there must have been a communication malfunction. I am now asking them to good will the tires to me. I am sure they will come through for me, tirerack is a great company.

I disagree, if I were on a highway the run flats would have saved me. I would be able to hobble home. The rims wont get damaged on flat runflats. I know, I've actually blown tires before on my X3 runflats and let me tell ya, was sure glad to have them cause I was far from home, on a dark rainy highway and with my kids.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #4226
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner
Boys, the unthinkable happened.

I hit a pothole trying to avoid another pot hole and cut the side walls on my brand new MPSS front and rear passenger side. Not one but two tires. I'm pissed. Good thing, I was 10 blocks from the house. Walked home, got my snow tires, brought them back and swapped out the destroyed MPSS's. No amount of fix a flat glue was going to patch these sidewall cuts.

I can only imagine the pain I would be enduring if I wasn't able to walk home and fetch my snow tires.

I am now rethinking the runflats. I might just put them back on.
Contact the town. I'm not sure if the rule is done based on individual town but I know several people who have had the town pay for tire and wheel replacement based on pictures from the scene and the pothole as it is the town/states responsibility to fix them especially if they can be considered dangerous.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #4227
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
I disagree, if I were on a highway the run flats would have saved me. I would be able to hobble home. The rims wont get damaged on flat runflats. I know, I've actually blown tires before on my X3 runflats and let me tell ya, was sure glad to have them cause I was far from home, on a dark rainy highway and with my kids.
This! Nice to know.

Chun, sorry about your tires.
      10-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #4228
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:

I hit a pothole trying to avoid another pot hole and cut the side walls on my brand new MPSS front and rear passenger side. Not one but two tires. I'm pissed. Good thing, I was 10 blocks from the house. Walked home, got my snow tires, brought them back and swapped out the destroyed MPSS's. No amount of fix a flat glue was going to patch these sidewall cuts.

I can only imagine the pain I would be enduring if I wasn't able to walk home and fetch my snow tires.

That sucks man. Not sure is rft would've survived, best case it would help you get to where you need to but the tire might've still had to be replaced. I blew out 2 run flats (once on each of my cars) and the potholes weren't that big.

If you do go back, let me know if you're interested in selling or trading those PSS.
      10-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #4229
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Figured I'd post this since I don't know anyone else who's gone with Dinan springs but here's a comparison of the rear M-sport spring vs Dinan

Edit: I believe Chunner went with Dinan suspenson!
      10-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #4230
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Which springs are which? Dinan = blue?

I'm thinking of doing Dinan S3 suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #4231
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Which springs are which? Dinan = blue?

I'm thinking of doing Dinan S3 suspension.
Yea Dinan is blue (shorter), stock is the longer black ones
      10-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #4232
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Figured I'd post this since I don't know anyone else who's gone with Dinan springs but here's a comparison of the rear M-sport spring vs Dinan

Edit: I believe Chunner went with Dinan suspenson!
Interesting that they're blue and dare I say, almost lemansian? Maybe deep sea, but cool that they kinda match your car's color as well. I never got to do a comparison of the yellow PS springs compared to stock, though I suppose they probably look similar, or I think 0.1" longer than the Dinan ones if the Dinan ones are saying a 0.5" drop.

When's it all going on?!?! This weekend? Or this morning?

Also, I don't think Chunner has changed his shocks or springs yet. Think he has one dinan suspension part, the name of which eludes me at this time - maybe tie rods, end links, i don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #4233
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:

You know, every time I hit a bad pothole (which happens all the time - Boston area roads are terrible), I am grateful for my runflats and it makes me rethink my plan to swap to MPSS. I have never experienced a blowout or flat with the runflats, but I have hit some horrendous potholes where I was sure I was going to get a flat and didn't. I can't say with any confidence that a non-runflat would have survived some of the impacts.
I definitely plan to keep running runflats in the winter, as potholes are even worse then, but stories like this make me question the wisdom of switching my summers.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #4234
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I got a flat in my runflat last year and it took me all the way to the tire store to buy another one. Just like they're supposed to do.
      10-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #4235
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

On the Runflat vs Non-Runflat debate here recently:

I think the first recent post that started this discussion said that the sidewall was shredded.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way runflats work is that they have an extra stiff, or extra thick sidewall.
That being said, if the sidewall of a runflat tire gets punctured, or slashed or whatever it may be, to a certain degree the tire may hold up a bit better. But, if the cut is really that bad, don't you all think that the sidewall of the runflat would also get shredded and thus also render the runflat useless?

The purpose and design of the runflat from my understanding is that if you get a flat due to a nail or other puncture on the tread area, then the stiff sidewalls can give enough support to the tire that it can be driven on.

Again, I'm not an expert so correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #4236
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

I think the first recent post that started this discussion said that the sidewall was shredded.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way runflats work is that they have an extra stiff, or extra thick sidewall.
That being said, if the sidewall of a runflat tire gets punctured, or slashed or whatever it may be, to a certain degree the tire may hold up a bit better. But, if the cut is really that bad, don't you all think that the sidewall of the runflat would also get shredded and thus also render the runflat useless?

The purpose and design of the runflat from my understanding is that if you get a flat due to a nail or other puncture on the tread area, then the stiff sidewalls can give enough support to the tire that it can be driven on.

Makes sense to me.
      10-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #4237
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting that they're blue and dare I say, almost lemansian? Maybe deep sea, but cool that they kinda match your car's color as well. I never got to do a comparison of the yellow PS springs compared to stock, though I suppose they probably look similar, or I think 0.1" longer than the Dinan ones if the Dinan ones are saying a 0.5" drop.

When's it all going on?!?! This weekend? Or this morning?

Also, I don't think Chunner has changed his shocks or springs yet. Think he has one dinan suspension part, the name of which eludes me at this time - maybe tie rods, end links, i don't know.
Review posted under General section
      10-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #4238
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
See below.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #4239
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
You know, every time I hit a bad pothole (which happens all the time - Boston area roads are terrible), I am grateful for my runflats and it makes me rethink my plan to swap to MPSS. I have never experienced a blowout or flat with the runflats, but I have hit some horrendous potholes where I was sure I was going to get a flat and didn't. I can't say with any confidence that a non-runflat would have survived some of the impacts.
I definitely plan to keep running runflats in the winter, as potholes are even worse then, but stories like this make me question the wisdom of switching my summers.
if it means anything. my winter tires are runflats...

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #4240
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

No, this was not a run flat vs non run flat discussion. My MPSS were not shredded. The road I was traveling on was recently prepped for new asphalt. Therefore the road elevation was about 3 inches below the top of sewer caps. I am guessing that as I swerved to avoid a pot hole, I scraped and punctured the side walls of my front and rear passenger MPSS. The gash was about 3/4 of an inch on both tires. If I had run flats, I am sure I would have been able to continue driving. In fact, with that type of incident, perhaps the run flats would not have even been punctured because of the additional steel on the sidewall.

I am reconsidering going back to the run flats for two reasons. First, the ability to continue driving with a punctured tire or tires. Second, I have M3 rear axle subframe bushings and monoball joints in the front. The combination of the OEM runflats with these upgraded suspension components, IMO creates a drive that I like better then with the softer MPSS. My 2 cents. That's all.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #4241
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
No, this was not a run flat vs non run flat discussion. My MPSS were not shredded. The road I was traveling on was recently prepped for new asphalt. Therefore the road elevation was about 3 inches below the top of sewer caps. I am guessing that as I swerved to avoid a pot hole, I scraped and punctured the side walls of my front and rear passenger MPSS. The gash was about 3/4 of an inch on both tires. If I had run flats, I am sure I would have been able to continue driving. In fact, with that type of incident, perhaps the run flats would not have even been punctured because of the additional steel on the sidewall.

I am reconsidering going back to the run flats for two reasons. First, the ability to continue driving with a punctured tire or tires. Second, I have M3 rear axle subframe bushings and monoball joints in the front. The combination of the OEM runflats with these upgraded suspension components, IMO creates a drive that I like better then with the softer MPSS. My 2 cents. That's all.
I'm sorry to hear about your tires! For lots of the reasons you mentioned, I decided to go with the runflat version of the PA3s when I bought winter tires/wheels last year. Last thing I wanted was to be stuck on a busy road at night in heavy traffic during winter weather temperatures and conditions.

With the stock Sport suspension, I found that winter tire/wheel combination to ride much harsher than the PSSs on 313s, and even harsher than the factory runflats that came with the car. Since reinstalling the 313/PSS combination in the spring, I installed a set of Whiteline rear subframe inserts, then the Performance Suspension kit and springs. I don't know what to expect when I put the PA3s back on in a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping the ride isn't something I need to "settle" for. The biggest issue I had last winter was the extra rattles and squeaks induced by the runflat winter setup.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension

Last edited by CAVU; 10-31-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #4242
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Sorta off-topic but us IS folks really need to plan a mini track day or something lol.
      10-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #4243
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Last week I discovered another 135is in my parking lot at work. It is a LMB w/6MT. He bought the car in early 2013 with 150 miles on the odometer... it had been returned to the dealer by the original purchaser who didn't like the car. It sure is a small world!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #4244
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

that SUCKS man....i was left stranded on the Long Island Expressway in Queens for over 3 hours a few months ago.....as some of you may remember.

when my 1M ran over a shiv/knife and punctured immediately. I had to be flatbedded OFF the freeway....then towed again to my house. The whole ordeal took 5 hours in the middle of a friday night and i got home at 2 am. it SUCKED.

Now i carry an extra tire in my trunk. For this winter, i am getting a 5th wheel and tire to carry in the trunk as well.

you were lucky you could walk home! well played to puncture near home.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #4245
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Sorry Chunner, I did not mean that you started that debate, only that the conversation was going in the direction of a debate and thought I would give my two cents from a Civil/Mechanical Engineer's perspective (more my way of logic and reasoning really than anything to really do with engineering, although I do have a buddy that works at a tire testing facility).

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #4246
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
that SUCKS man....i was left stranded on the Long Island Expressway in Queens for over 3 hours a few months ago.....as some of you may remember.

when my 1M ran over a shiv/knife and punctured immediately. I had to be flatbedded OFF the freeway....then towed again to my house. The whole ordeal took 5 hours in the middle of a friday night and i got home at 2 am. it SUCKED.

Now i carry an extra tire in my trunk. For this winter, i am getting a 5th wheel and tire to carry in the trunk as well.

you were lucky you could walk home! well played to puncture near home.
I remember your incident. It was no knife! It was a scalpel. What do you do for a living again?... lol.. how creepy is that.

Appreciate 0