BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
eywflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is DSB 6MT 269/613

135is order - internet price

My 135is order (DSB, Black leather/blue stitch, 6MT, Premium, HK) is now at the dealer awaiting pickup this weekend. I was just looking on their website and was surprised to see my ordered vehicle listed in their inventory, with an "internet price" significantly lower than what I had agreed on with the dealer at time of order. The internet price appears to be even below invoice as shown by bmwconfig.

This is definitely my order as the VINs and all specs/options match. I printed out a screen capture of this and will be taking it with me when I go to pickup the car this weekend.

Anyone ever encounter this situation before? They have a $1000 deposit from me so I can't walk away without any cost, but I'm thinking they need to honor the internet price. At the moment I feel ripped off. Partially my own fault for not negotiating a better deal up front, but still...

What do you guys think?

Last edited by eywflyer; 03-13-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Never heard of this but I sure as hell would try for that lower internet price!
      03-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
eywflyer
Private
Rep

I'm thinking that I'll check on their website right before going into the dealer, and hopefully find that the car is still listed there. Then I'll go in and say that I saw my car listed for sale on their website at the much lower internet price, and that's the price I will pay. If they deny it is listed, I'll show it to them online. If they have removed the listing before I go in to pick it up, I'll still have the print outs from today when it was listed.

If they admit that the car is or was listed but refuse to honor the internet price, I'll threaten to report them to the Florida Division of Motor Vehicles and the Better Business Bureau for failing to honor an advertised price.

My guess is that they will try to say that the internet price doesn't include taxes/fees/dealer prep etc. But my quote sheet from when I ordered the car in January clearly shows that the agreed-upon much higher price did not include taxes/fees/prep either, so apples to apples the internet price is still much lower.

I wonder if they are using my order as a bait and switch, to get people on the lot with what appears to be a really good deal on a hard to find 135is, then tell them that the car is already sold.

I think it will turn out to be an interesting day at the dealership on Friday.

Last edited by eywflyer; 03-13-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Wow. Never heard of anything like this. Very interested to see what they say. But Im guessing they will probobly say it was listed by mistake by the internet sales dept. That they didnt realize this car was a pre order or something. Also if you have ale already signed the purchase agreement with your specified agreed up on price will you really have much of a leg to stand on? thats basically a contract that says what you both agreed up on for a price. Its not really the same as if the car showed up with an xtra option you clearly did not have added on your spec sheet and so you refuse to pay for it. But I hope they will give you the better price. Best of luck my friend
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
eywflyer
Private
Rep

The only thing I signed was a "quote" that was also signed by the sales manager. Fine print at the bottom says valid only that day (Jan 10). So I don't think I have signed anything binding at this point. That said, I'm sure they will throw everything in the book at me as to why they can't give me the Internet price. I guess at the end of the day I need to be prepared to walk away and file complaints with Florida DMV and BBB if they absolutely refuse to give in. I'd hate to do that but paying $4000 more than a random person off the street for the same car would really bother me.

Thanks for the good luck wishes - I expect this to be a nasty fight at the dealer which will go on for hours.

Last edited by eywflyer; 03-13-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Hey eywflyer,

I think there are a few things at play, so will offer my advice. I think the first part is their horrible computer system lists the cars in their inventory even if sold cars. I know this cause I went to two dealers to look at 135is's based on their online inventory and when I got there, they were like, no sorry those were customer sold/ordered cars, so you can LOOK at it, but that's it. Heck, a month later, it's still showing that white 135is in their inventory. I also think they entered some formula to display the "internet" price.

So, I wouldn't read too much into that, though I know you're paranoid they're going to sell YOUR car.

Secondly, don't know how it is in FL, but in CA at least, the deposit on the order is ALWAYS refundable, because what if the car shows up and is damaged or not correct, etc. So, I don't think you're committed to anything until you've seen the car, inspected it, etc.

So, what I would do is go in there and demand the lower price. You can say, things have changed, money is tighter, the 135 I now know is going to be obsolete in a few months, etc. etc. and say that prices have come down, so this is the new price I want. I think in the end, they will go for it and so you should demand and get the "internet price" they are listing on their website.

I'm also curious as my 135is is finishing production tomorrow, how much their internet price is? My order is about $4,000 off MSRP on a loaded "is" coupe, so for my own interest and knowledge, curious if it's more or less off of that.

Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine, they won't sell your car to someone else and you'll get the now lower price, too. Keep us posted, save some money, then post tons of pics for us "is" waiters out here.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
eywflyer
Private
Rep

Gregthegr8, the Internet price for my 135is order is about $5400 below MSRP and is about $1000 below what BMW config shows as invoice. Sounds like you negotiated a good deal for your order. Clearly I did not. The price I agreed on back in January was only about $1500 below MSRP.

Hopefully things will work out. Will definitely be posting pics on the 135is and Deep Sea Blue threads!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Wow. Maybe though it is likely stressing you out NOW, it is a blessing in disguise and means you can take that in and get it for $5400 off MSRP and save yourself almost an additional 4 grand.

I think you'll be fine in the end and be able to take advantage of a lower price. Man, now I want an additional $1400 off!

DSB with the blue stitching will look great, too, and a unique "is" color, as will be my mineral grey.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
eywflyer
Private
Rep

Yea I'm excited about the DSB and blue stitch - always have loved blue cars. Like the idea of having a config that will be uncommon too.

Another idea if they won't budge on price because they claim I had already agreed to pay the higher price is to forfeit my $1000 deposit, walk out the door, then turn around and walk back in and say "I want to buy this 135is that is advertised on your website at the advertised price." I would still come out ahead by a few thousand dollars.

Hopefully things will work out - I'll post what happened sometime Friday evening.

Last edited by eywflyer; 03-14-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep

It is true that your car will show up on the inventory list at the dealer. I ran into that when I did a search and saw there were plenty of 135's around without ordering.
Then when I got to the dealer they were already sold to customers and they automatically show up on the net until the car is driven off the lot.

I never saw a sold one with a bargain internet price though. I'll be interested to see what the say when you pick the car up.

I would pretend to be another customer and send them an email inquiring about the car that you saw online. Tell them you've been looking all over and thats a good price and are VERY interersted and see what they say.
      03-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Tj Hunter
S54 Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
I would pretend to be another customer and send them an email inquiring about the car that you saw online. Tell them you've been looking all over and thats a good price and are VERY interersted and see what they say.
Now your talking, such a great idea, be someone looking for that exact color combo and options list etc etc and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Let us know how this goes. I got mine for close to or at that internet pricing based on the discount you mentioned (below invoice), so it can be done. They're going to tell you some story about how the price is impossible, but it's BS. They make $ at invoice, too.

This thread is more proof of how much room BMW has to move on these cars' prices.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
socal135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 135is

Good luck with negotiating a better price. I got mine $5000 below MSRP, so there is definitely wiggle room.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Let us know how this goes. I got mine for close to or at that internet pricing based on the discount you mentioned (below invoice), so it can be done. They're going to tell you some story about how the price is impossible, but it's BS. They make $ at invoice, too.

This thread is more proof of how much room BMW has to move on these cars' prices.
Certainly is proof. I bought mine Through the military sales program overseas and its an automatic 6k off the top and then a few other discounts depending on options and packages and tax free. And the milittary sales dealer and BMW are still making money off the sale. So that tells ya they can build em for a whole lot less than what they sell em for.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
eywflyer
Private
Rep

At the dealer now, DSC light on during test drive so they are sending it to service. About to bring up the Internet price. Thanks for all of the replies.

Update - hard ball so far. They are refusing to budge from the previously agreed price saying the website price was an error. They are going to show me when they supposedly have in the car with PDI etc. I'm sure some junk fees will be included.

Last edited by eywflyer; 03-15-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Tell them you've changed your mind and don't want to do business with them. They should make some goodwill effort toward that advertised price to make you a happy customer.... Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Tj Hunter
S54 Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Tell them you've changed your mind and don't want to do business with them. They should make some goodwill effort toward that advertised price to make you a happy customer.... Good luck!
+1 there are more out there, if they are not willing to help there will be someone that is!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
eywflyer
Private
Rep

Consumer reports guaranteed pricing comes up with $46954. Truecar average paid $46758. I do need gap coverage so may negotiate there. I'd prefer not to walk as this exact car would then take another 3 months to get here ordered from another dealer. Previously agreed price was $47161. Their invoice sheet claims $45552 in the car right now.

They say the DSC light is "cleared up". Getting details of exactly what was wrong now then we are going for longer test drive to make sure that light stays off.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Good luck! Why won't they give you the internet price? Perhaps say you are disconcerted with the DSC light being on and it making you weary, though secretly you just hope it's a tiny nothing thing that'll never happen again.

Also, if I remember correctly, when you lease through BMWFS, THEY provide gap coverage. Tell them you want that internet price, say you're going to leave and think about whatever their last offer is and I bet they won't even let you get to the car. The reality is probably nobody is showing up on a Friday mid day to buy that exact car, take an hour or two and think about it.

For reference as well, at least in my area, truecar dealers in the area were showing about $3k off sticker as I optioned it out ($49k MSRP), but when I submitted my contact info and the dealers started e-mailing me, their offers to ME were then $3500 - $4000 off sticker.

You'll be fine. We know you'll be taking her home today, only a question of how much can you get them to come down. Battle of wills at the OK Corral.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
eywflyer
Private
Rep

Truecar in my area (South Florida) showing only about $1400 off MSRP except South BMW which shows about $2400 off. I don't want to deal with them though as they are a terrible dealer in my experience.

Looks like this is going to end up a few hundred lower than what I agreed on back in January but nowhere near that Internet price which they continue to claim was an error. I might be able to save another $1000 by threatening to walk or starting over with a new order at another dealer, but I don't really want to do that. Gonna drive it home and be happy I got a great car! Pics on those threads soon.

Oh and the Internet listing of my car has now been changed to show an Internet price of MSRP. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep

This is exactly what everyone said would happy; they would claim it was an error and charge you the original price.

That's why I would have loved to have seen what would have happened if a new buyer came into the picture.
      03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Invoice is generally MSRP minus 7%. Work from that price point.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0