BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
E82.Love
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i AW

Back-up camera installation

I recently thought about putting a backup camera on my 128. I have the iDrive but I don't have the backup camera. I think it's rare for a 1er to have them (if I'm not mistaking).

Has anyone tried it? I'm looking at the CCD backup camera. There has to be a reprogramming to the iDrive and I'm not sure if I should still go through with it. Need some advice!

Thanks
      01-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82.Love View Post
I recently thought about putting a backup camera on my 128. I have the iDrive but I don't have the backup camera. I think it's rare for a 1er to have them (if I'm not mistaking).

Has anyone tried it? I'm looking at the CCD backup camera. There has to be a reprogramming to the iDrive and I'm not sure if I should still go through with it. Need some advice!

Thanks
Seems like a waste of money to me. Not sure why you would need one on a car this small and with such good outward visibility in all directions.

On my 4Runner, the backup cam is definitely helpful, especially when parallel parking on tight city streets. But in almost 5 years of 1er ownership, I have never once found myself wishing for a backup camera. YMMV, of course.
      01-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82.Love View Post

Thanks
Seems like a waste of money to me. Not sure why you would need one on a car this small and with such good outward visibility in all directions.

On my 4Runner, the backup cam is definitely helpful, especially when parallel parking on tight city streets. But in almost 5 years of 1er ownership, I have never once found myself wishing for a backup camera. YMMV, of course.
Agreed. I would spend the $$ on a polish or go-fast parts instead. If it was a 360 degree camera like the newer BMWs have, could be useful but like bob said, our cars aren't exactly big. I have back up sensors on my winter SUV and I'm glad it has that but I've never found myself wishing I had a backup camera on that

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
E82.Love
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
Agreed. I would spend the $$ on a polish or go-fast parts instead. If it was a 360 degree camera like the newer BMWs have, could be useful but like bob said, our cars aren't exactly big. I have back up sensors on my winter SUV and I'm glad it has that but I've never found myself wishing I had a backup camera on that
I guess you two are right since yeah it's a small car and all. I was doing it mostly becuase of the looks lol. I mean I don't know it kinda looks nice with a camera in the back to me. But I mean if it looks off because the 1 is such a small car and people do think "why does a small car like that come with a camera" I would understand.

It's like putting a backup camera on a smart car.
      01-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82.Love
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
I guess you two are right since yeah it's a small car and all. I was doing it mostly becuase of the looks lol. I mean I don't know it kinda looks nice with a camera in the back to me. But I mean if it looks off because the 1 is such a small car and people do think "why does a small car like that come with a camera" I would understand.

It's like putting a backup camera on a smart car.
Haha well ultimately it's up to you bud. The cost to benefit ratio isn't something I see as being worth it for my 1er but if you like the look and want the feature then go for it!

I wasn't aware any had a back up cam from factory?

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
E82.Love
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think they have it on the 1ers. I haven't seen any :
      01-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

BMW didn't make and they never offered a backup camera for our cars. bimmer-tech has probably the best designed aftermarket one though that looks and acts pretty seamless with the idrive and backup sensors.

I will say it would have some use, at least in LA when parked in a parking lot and giant SUVs are surrounding you as you try to back out but can't see if anything is coming down the aisle. It's times like that that I kinda wish I had one so I could see what's coming around the corner.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
I installed one on mine when I upgraded to a new head unit with a 7 inch display. I put the camera in the bottom valance.

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
E82.Love
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135droptop View Post
I installed one on mine when I upgraded to a new head unit with a 7 inch display. I put the camera in the bottom valance.
Was it helpful?
      01-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
I think so. I have one in my jeep I installed too.
Appreciate 0