BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #23
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexx View Post
Hi Jus / Jeef Beef,

just look at Tischer website at www.getbmwparts.com
i just paid that. it went up recently to $1280 or something but when i ordered last month, it was $1175.

Shipping only $35 as it was USPS not UPS or FEDex. Risky I know, but Tischer's always done that for my ohter parts adn they've always arrived nice and packed with bubble wrapped etc.

Customs all up add $280 (GST 10% + Duty 5% + general customs admin BS fees, plus i used a $55 customs broker so i didn't have to risk lodging wrong forms and getting BS fees multiple times)

Cheers
Trev
Hey Trev,

thanks for the info, at the moment it would appear to be $1,285 from Tischer.

I know I can get it for a bit less than that, especially so if I can twist David's arm in lieu of a small group buy, hehe.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #24
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
I may be wrong, but I understand that with AU/USA trade agreement there is no duty payable on auto parts. I recently ordered wheels for around $1500 and there was zero duty.
Pot luck... Duty applies to imports over $1000 AUD inclusive of postage. Auto parts dont have an exemption. Just a mis-sight on customs point of view i guess.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...sbypostfaq.pdf

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #25
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

"Duty applies to imports over $1000 AUD inclusive of postage".

I believe the $999.00 threshold is EXCLUSIVE of postage.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #26
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah, customs duty is paid on value of items up to $1000, not postage.... BUT... GST is payable on the total calculated amount including postage and handling charges...

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Hi Jus / Jeef Beef,

just look at Tischer website at www.getbmwparts.com
i just paid that. it went up recently to $1280 or something but when i ordered last month, it was $1175.

Shipping only $35 as it was USPS not UPS or FEDex. Risky I know, but Tischer's always done that for my ohter parts adn they've always arrived nice and packed with bubble wrapped etc.

Customs all up add $280 (GST 10% + Duty 5% + general customs admin BS fees, plus i used a $55 customs broker so i didn't have to risk lodging wrong forms and getting BS fees multiple times)

Cheers
Trev
Cheers mate. Customs + BS fees really suck though

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i / AW M2

Yes customs and BS fees is what it is I suppose. the important thing is it is still a silly amount cheaper than buying locally at the dealer.

i just bought the rear boot spoiler as well. What the hell. AUD won't stay at 1.03 forever.

no doubt i will have to trawl through the DIY threads here when it arrives. i'm sure my experience with building gundams and zakus won't help me glue something that big.

cheers
Trev
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I understand that with AU/USA trade agreement there is no duty payable on auto parts. I recently ordered wheels for around $1500 and there was zero duty.
re this, when I imported tyres from tirerack, customs said it's place of manufacture not place of export that determines eligibility. so the french made michelins were not exempt... but if i'd picked a US made tyre it may be exempt but customs being customs they have some BS formula to apportion bits and pieces for inclusion. i'm sure if you challenge them you may win at the end of the day but meanwhile, your tyres are incurring demurrage (ie, storage at arsereaming rates) at Australia Post's warehouse, within 31 days, they have the right to send your box back to the sender...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #30
SparklingRed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i -> M135i -> M2C

Quote:
Did u have to fill in a special form or something?
      04-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #31
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingRed View Post
Did u have to fill in a special form or something?

comes down to what goods code and tariff exemption codes in the customs import form... that's why i just paid $55 to the broker to sort it out. some people i know have done it themselves but there are pages of forms and lists to run through and having to pick the right ones, prove your ID etc etc... $55 money well spent with my lazy approach.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #32
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
i just bought the rear boot spoiler as well. What the hell. AUD won't stay at 1.03 forever.

no doubt i will have to trawl through the DIY threads here when it arrives. i'm sure my experience with building gundams and zakus won't help me glue something that big.

cheers
Trev
Dunno what your experience is with that kind of stuff but beware it aint quite as simple as its made out to be IMO. In the end i took to the local BMW panel shop who installed it and did a fantasic job for $100.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #33
SparklingRed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
comes down to what goods code and tariff exemption codes in the customs import form... that's why i just paid $55 to the broker to sort it out. some people i know have done it themselves but there are pages of forms and lists to run through and having to pick the right ones, prove your ID etc etc... $55 money well spent with my lazy approach.
Sounds good to me. When do you actually engage the broker? As far as I know, you can get your wheels shipped to the door or to the airport from the vendor. I assume you had then sent to the airport?
      04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #34
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingRed View Post
Sounds good to me. When do you actually engage the broker? As far as I know, you can get your wheels shipped to the door or to the airport from the vendor. I assume you had then sent to the airport?
HI Sparkling Red(!oops!), the only way i found out all these things is by doing it a few times and watching it play out and rolling with the punches. I never opted for airport pick up. i've always gone ship to door. however, customs intervenes whether it is at post office or at the airport. if something is <$1k, it has just arrived at my door. With with tires, i just did all 4, and clearly >$1000, i expected to get a call from Customs but because tirerack uses FedEx which does their own customs clearing service (ie, has their own customs broking service on the ground), you just get a call from FedEx instead of Customs. Fedex phones and tells you how much GST/DUTY/BSfees. You pay them (phone/cash whatever - credit card over phone was what i did) and next day FEDex comes to your door with the tyres.

Wiht the diffuser, Tischer used USPS (ie, US version of Australia Post) - when it arrives here at Australia Post, the goods go into customs for checking (border security and quarantine, and of course valuation for duties). if it's <$1k, it goes through subject to quarantine stuff of course. if it's over $1k (and it did'nt slip through under the radar), then you get a letter from Australia Post (or a phone call if you're lucky but not for me). The letter is called a "First Notice" and has all the references to your parcel stating that customs has detained this until clearance - with a reason given (for the diffuser it was "duties owing". i'm sure if it's a samurai sword it will be "contraband"). Anyway. at this point, the First Notice clearly tells you what you need to do, ie, 1. do it yourself, or 2. get a customs broker to do it for you. Either way you pay BS fees, and either way you pay GST and Duties. doing it yourself just means you have to pick all the right codes etc, and obviousyl you don't have to pay $55 for the broker. i know some brokers charge more, but i just used the cheapest one i could find - google - and took a punt. worked well. they were great in that they gauged the goods and filled out all the codes for you (and you trust them that they will pick the one that gives the least duties) and it was cleared in 48 hours. if you wanted instant clearance, you just pay higher broker fees. that's separate to customs duties/GST - just what you pay the broker. i think the beauty of the broker is they are all alreayd set up to submit things to customs electronically via their systems so it's very quick turnaround. none of this 4-7 buisnesss days BS if you do it yourself. Anyway, within 48 hours, the broker calls you and says it's cleared. then your parcel is back in Australia Post's delivery lists and you just wait... and wait... and wait...

3 days for the diffuser to come from Chicago to Sydney. 1.5 weeks for it to arrive at the door.

I'm lazy though - i'm sure some people have done it themselves and it wasn't hard. it just sounded messy and easy to cock up.

Regards
Trev
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #35
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
Dunno what your experience is with that kind of stuff but beware it aint quite as simple as its made out to be IMO. In the end i took to the local BMW panel shop who installed it and did a fantasic job for $100.
Thanks for this!!! probably very sound advice... and knowing me, i think i will follow your lead!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #36
SparklingRed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the info mate!! It's much clear now~

Quote:
HI Sparkling Red(!oops!), the only way i found out all these things is by doing it a few times and watching it play out and rolling with the punches. I never opted for airport pick up. i've always gone ship to door. however, customs intervenes whether it is at post office or at the airport. if something is <$1k, it has just arrived at my door. With with tires, i just did all 4, and clearly >$1000, i expected to get a call from Customs but because tirerack uses FedEx which does their own customs clearing service (ie, has their own customs broking service on the ground), you just get a call from FedEx instead of Customs. Fedex phones and tells you how much GST/DUTY/BSfees. You pay them (phone/cash whatever - credit card over phone was what i did) and next day FEDex comes to your door with the tyres.

Wiht the diffuser, Tischer used USPS (ie, US version of Australia Post) - when it arrives here at Australia Post, the goods go into customs for checking (border security and quarantine, and of course valuation for duties). if it's <$1k, it goes through subject to quarantine stuff of course. if it's over $1k (and it did'nt slip through under the radar), then you get a letter from Australia Post (or a phone call if you're lucky but not for me). The letter is called a "First Notice" and has all the references to your parcel stating that customs has detained this until clearance - with a reason given (for the diffuser it was "duties owing". i'm sure if it's a samurai sword it will be "contraband"). Anyway. at this point, the First Notice clearly tells you what you need to do, ie, 1. do it yourself, or 2. get a customs broker to do it for you. Either way you pay BS fees, and either way you pay GST and Duties. doing it yourself just means you have to pick all the right codes etc, and obviousyl you don't have to pay $55 for the broker. i know some brokers charge more, but i just used the cheapest one i could find - google - and took a punt. worked well. they were great in that they gauged the goods and filled out all the codes for you (and you trust them that they will pick the one that gives the least duties) and it was cleared in 48 hours. if you wanted instant clearance, you just pay higher broker fees. that's separate to customs duties/GST - just what you pay the broker. i think the beauty of the broker is they are all alreayd set up to submit things to customs electronically via their systems so it's very quick turnaround. none of this 4-7 buisnesss days BS if you do it yourself. Anyway, within 48 hours, the broker calls you and says it's cleared. then your parcel is back in Australia Post's delivery lists and you just wait... and wait... and wait...

3 days for the diffuser to come from Chicago to Sydney. 1.5 weeks for it to arrive at the door.

I'm lazy though - i'm sure some people have done it themselves and it wasn't hard. it just sounded messy and easy to cock up.

Regards
Trev
      04-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #37
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
It actually really is as simple as it's made out to be! I went the route of 3m double sided tape, took me a few mins to cut the tape up to the shape of the spoiler and align it but thats about it. And it's held on extremely well with no sign of fatigue for the past 2 and a half years.
I saw a spoiler which had been glued on by a dealer and they had done a terrible job, could see the dried glue that had oozed out the edges, but that was prob an exception.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #38
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
It actually really is as simple as it's made out to be! I went the route of 3m double sided tape, took me a few mins to cut the tape up to the shape of the spoiler and align it but thats about it. And it's held on extremely well with no sign of fatigue for the past 2 and a half years.
I saw a spoiler which had been glued on by a dealer and they had done a terrible job, could see the dried glue that had oozed out the edges, but that was prob an exception.
I see. Thanks for this. Maybe I will give it a go... Was just imagining how tough it would be to align and hold down such a long curved piece of cf.
Also wounding if the old spoiler will come off and clean off as easily as the DIY threads say...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #39
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
I see. Thanks for this. Maybe I will give it a go... Was just imagining how tough it would be to align and hold down such a long curved piece of cf.
Also wounding if the old spoiler will come off and clean off as easily as the DIY threads say...
Here's a link showing how I put the tape on http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217253 . As with the alignment from memory it wasn't too hard as it's a very good fit, I think I just had to concentrate it was centered and equal distance from the edges.
Re the preexisting spoiler I can't comment as I have a 125 which doesn't have it. But I've read all you need is some fishing wire.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #40
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks jksgoh... i will give it a try!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #41
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

I glued my CF spoiler on myself too. I've seen many that the dealers etc have done, and they just don't take the care if it's your own car. Very messy using glue (windscreen sealant), but fits better than tape IMHO. 125 also, so no need to remove standard spoiler.
      04-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #42
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

That looks really nice.
Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #43
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post

Here's a link showing how I put the tape on http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217253 . As with the alignment from memory it wasn't too hard as it's a very good fit, I think I just had to concentrate it was centered and equal distance from the edges.
Re the preexisting spoiler I can't comment as I have a 125 which doesn't have it. But I've read all you need is some fishing wire.
Ok, diffuser is on. And the existing boot spoiler is off. Dental flossing and microfibre cloth took 2mins. It then took me another 2 hours (including soaking time) to WD40 and car polish off the adhesive residue. Halfway through it the thought entered my head that it would have been cheap to pay someone to do it... But I overcame my fundamental laziness and got it done. Not the funnest way to spend a public holiday but at least rewarding once done. Will try to tape on the CF spoiler tomorrow. Rainy today so car all wet and filthy so not ideal conditions to work in the cold wet garage.

Removing the old spoiler glue. That was hard work.

Shipped another diffuser in for my friend. Exchange rate BETTER than mine, AND it slipped thru customs just as AussieRacer experienced! A real taste of Aussie customs hit rate.
No fair!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #44
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Cool! Pix?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0