BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #23
Allencic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

While my 2011 128i convert was getting routine service and having the battery cable recall done I had a new 328 as a loaner for the day. Here are a few impressions.

1) The turbo 4 cyl was very strong. Especially at passing speeds. The auto stop-start was just clunky and annoying. I went thru the drive thru window for a cup of coffee and up close against the building the four at idle sounded like a cheap diesel tractor.

2) The electric power steering was dead and too low in effort. Felt like driving an old Cadillac with no steering feel.

3) The iDrive for the radio, etc. was simply distracting and annoying. How about going back to simple buttons and knobs for the radio.

4) The interior with Boston leather had a really cheap feel to it. The leather does a good imitation of leatherette. The plastic/aluminum trim on the dash looked like it had been painted with a spray can from Ace Hardware.

Overall it was a disappointment. Definitely not worth the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
The 3 cyl has a lot more character than the 4 cyl
this! it actually sounds like a proper mw engine. to me the 3 cyl will be much more of a joy.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Are you serious? That statement goes against everything the BMW brand is about...

Last time I checked, their tagline wasn't BMW: THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE (only if you buy a top end model)
It's always been true. It's just that in the U.S. we don't see/get many of the low hanging fruit (iirc the 318 of the 90's was the last one) the euros get.
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
This^^^

The new turbo 4 is a peach of an engine, so what if it sounds like a diesel?? It's hauls azz with the 8 speed tranny while returning 30+mpg on the highway. I had the chance to drive one and thought it was the best 4 cylinder I've ever driven. Leave it in sport plus and it will do just right, lots of linear power and speed. If I get an F30 it will be the 328i, i have a hard time as it is using all of my current 320hp in my 1er. However the steering is a real disappointment.
Is that the bar we've set? If it "hauls azz", the rest of the experience is moot? Sorry, but they've got their work cut out for them making the N20 in to something that I'd want to drive. When I'm driving around on the streets, I don't always get to enjoy 300 HP, but I do get to roll the windows down and enjoy the sound of the engine. It's a major contributor to the character of the car.

Direct injection is what makes the N20 sound like a diesel. I don't know how they're going to work around that. Maybe drown it out with engine noise played over the stereo speakers? That seems to be the solution these days.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
CBRacerX
Rep
Drives: 2008 135iC

We test drove a new X1 with the 4 banger and 3.5 adults. I did a few "freeway merge" sessions and it comported itself just fine. More economy and decent power is welcome in my next car.

Of course, we ended up buying a 135i convert...

Last edited by CBRacerX; 05-17-2013 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: X1 not X3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Best of luck to BMW in the future. I won't be buying anything newer than my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Firing up the straight six in the morning when I go to work (sounds even better when cold) and playing it with that fine gearstick during my commute (country side roads with mountain views), revving it close to 7000rpm when I merge on the highway is one of my daily pleasures. I always loved the fact that I can play with that car without the risk to go to jail, close to my regretted Miata in this regard...
      05-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
WillisW555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is

I have been eyeing a 1-series for a while. Finally bit the bullet and then there are bunches of articles about the last great drivers BMW in various magazines. it kind of confirmed my feelings. I agree with others have said, this felt like the "last" of a certain breed of car from BMW.

Now hurry up and put my car on the boat
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #31
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I actual prefer the new turbo 4 to the old engine, that thing is sweet.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #32
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
2 series is just a renamed 1 series. Making room for a yet-to-be-announced FWD 1 series in the future (2015).

Additionally, might want to adjust your macro'nomic outlook. And that "the government" is us... we the people. We get the cars we get, because they are the ones "we" want.

Do you buy stuff u don't want?
You got to be kidding! There is no way I can change the "government" and their way of thinking. And I vote! In my 46 years of driving, I'm 62, I have seen so much bullshit they have done! Remember speedometer that only went up to 85, the 5 mph bumper, the 3rd brake light. Air pumps, hoses and all the stuff on engines. Trust me, those in charged, would to ban performance cars and motorcycles in a heart beat! I know I have been there! So the question is "Do I buy stuff I don't want?" I am forced to, damn it!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #33
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomnad View Post
You got to be kidding! There is no way I can change the "government" and their way of thinking. And I vote! In my 46 years of driving, I'm 62, I have seen so much bullshit they have done! Remember speedometer that only went up to 85, the 5 mph bumper, the 3rd brake light. Air pumps, hoses and all the stuff on engines. Trust me, those in charged, would to ban performance cars and motorcycles in a heart beat! I know I have been there! So the question is "Do I buy stuff I don't want?" I am forced to, damn it!
With all due respect, the government is not entirely to blame for the era of lackluster performance you're ranting about. Detroit didn't believe the feds would enact the fuel economy standards they did. Detroit dug their heels in and refused to innovate. They wanted to keep churning out 7 MPG barges. They threatened that they couldn't possibly meet the new standards (without even trying), and claimed that passage would be the downfall of the American auto-industry.

They were right about some of those claims -- it was the beginning of the downfall of the American auto industry -- but they were wrong that it wasn't possible. The downfall didn't occur because the fuel economy standards were impossible. The downfall occurred because American automakers refused to innovate, and other manufacturers forged ahead with their own set of competitive advantages; albeit aided by the new fuel economy standards.

I'm no fan of big government, but if you're looking at history objectively, Washington doesn't bear sole responsibility for the clusterfuck that was the 70s era automobile (air pumps, etc). There's no denying Washington's hand in it, but the American auto-industry is equally culpable.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #34
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
With all due respect, the government is not entirely to blame for the era of lackluster performance you're ranting about. Detroit didn't believe the feds would enact the fuel economy standards they did. Detroit dug their heels in and refused to innovate. They wanted to keep churning out 7 MPG barges. They threatened that they couldn't possibly meet the new standards (without even trying), and claimed that passage would be the downfall of the American auto-industry.

They were right about some of those claims -- it was the beginning of the downfall of the American auto industry -- but they were wrong that it wasn't possible. The downfall didn't occur because the fuel economy standards were impossible. The downfall occurred because American automakers refused to innovate, and other manufacturers forged ahead with their own set of competitive advantages; albeit aided by the new fuel economy standards.

I'm no fan of big government, but if you're looking at history objectively, Washington doesn't bear sole responsibility for the clusterfuck that was the 70s era automobile (air pumps, etc). There's no denying Washington's hand in it, but the American auto-industry is equally culpable.
I agree about Anerican auto industry. Not everything from Wahington was bad. Cleaner running cars, a lot better mpg, air bags are good things. BUT I make my living in the motorcycle industry and I see it first hand. The "Joan Claybrook's" are still in Washington and they are no friends of us!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #35
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
Those are entry level cars with a focus on fuel economy and putting around town. If people want a better drivers car than they'll buy diff car. Asking the lowest of the low to perform isn't practical.
Are you serious? That statement goes against everything the BMW brand is about...

Last time I checked, their tagline wasn't BMW: THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE (only if you buy a top end model)
That ultimate driving machine statement has been a bit of a joke for years.
      05-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #36
inthemovie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2012 Lotus Evora, x1

I got a 2014 X1 4 banger as loaner and I so impressed I bought one on the spot when I got back to the dealer. I like the way it sounds when you step on it. The 8 speed trans is fantastic. It sounds like a diesel on first start up in the morning for about 30 sec. The steering on 2014 feels great.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #37
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
I thought the M235i will still have a 6cyl turbo.
Yes, it will share the M135i's N55 inline 6 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomnad View Post
I thought the new 2 is front wheel drive?
It's RWD.

For more 2 series info follow: http://www.bimmerpost.com/2-series/
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #38
Paneristi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i vert.

The new generations will always be oblivious to whats good.....

This new direction most car manufacturers are going in (ie/ electric video game style steering) reminds me of the current music industry.

Try explaining to the new generation that has grown up only knowing 'awesome' artists like Niki Minaj, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, how good the Rolling Stones, U2, Led Zeppelin are in comparison. One group represent all things real about music, the other represents a digital manufactured abortion that has zero staying power, or ability to become a classic in years to come.

Jumping back to cars, i doubt people will be lusting over a 2012 3 series in 10, 15, 20 years from now as a classic. Or at least until the industry develops the new tech in such a way to simulate the analog 'feel'. But then i would argue, why not just have the classic?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #39
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

This must be the week of year-old thread revivals.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #40
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

so who is the first dumb ass to pay $50k for an over priced Carola?
becuase that's how it feels when you drive the thing!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #41
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

Wait, before they had the 318, then the 323... What about the 525? Were those ultimate driving machines? There were always cars in those lackluster categories.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #42
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I, too, wasn't a fan of the steering in the 328i loaner I had. Two things I disliked about my two previous Audi's: weight dist. and the overboosted electric steering. The BMW felt JUST like an A4/A6/A8/etc. in the steering dept. I forgive Audi because they've never really been anything different than what they are in the steering dept. I can't forgive BMW. The steering perfection in "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is\was what they are\were known for. I don't agree with those that excuse this by stating the general model line of BMW outside //M cars is not beholden to that moniker. Bullshit. Yes, they have been/are still. What a shame. I couldn't wait to get my 135i back and my "real" BMW steering.

I don't agree with the engine performance detractors here. Then again, I came from modded Audi 2.0T's, so it wouldn't bother me (I like it, actually). I much prefer turbo boosted 2 liter and above 4 cyl.'s to low-powered V6's like that in the 128i, etc. Yeah, they sound like diesel engines...ALL direct injected 2.0T's do. That fuel delivery system is a diesel-like design anyway...what do you expect? Haters of this engine should start looking into what they're capable of performance wise for not a whole lot of money. Face it, folks, turbo's are what's here and what' coming for the sake of overall fleet fuel economy. That's life. Embrace it or buy ever-aging used cars.

I will say that Start\Stop feature annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. It works as designed and very well. If you don't like it, you can turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
Paneristi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i vert.

Auto On/Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I, too, wasn't a fan of the steering in the 328i loaner I had. Two things I disliked about my two previous Audi's: weight dist. and the overboosted electric steering. The BMW felt JUST like an A4/A6/A8/etc. in the steering dept. I forgive Audi because they've never really been anything different than what they are in the steering dept. I can't forgive BMW. The steering perfection in "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is\was what they are\were known for. I don't agree with those that excuse this by stating the general model line of BMW outside //M cars is not beholden to that moniker. Bullshit. Yes, they have been/are still. What a shame. I couldn't wait to get my 135i back and my "real" BMW steering.

I don't agree with the engine performance detractors here. Then again, I came from modded Audi 2.0T's, so it wouldn't bother me (I like it, actually). I much prefer turbo boosted 2 liter and above 4 cyl.'s to low-powered V6's like that in the 128i, etc. Yeah, they sound like diesel engines...ALL direct injected 2.0T's do. That fuel delivery system is a diesel-like design anyway...what do you expect? Haters of this engine should start looking into what they're capable of performance wise for not a whole lot of money. Face it, folks, turbo's are what's here and what' coming for the sake of overall fleet fuel economy. That's life. Embrace it or buy ever-aging used cars.

I will say that Start\Stop feature annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. It works as designed and very well. If you don't like it, you can turn it off.

Everyone that i know who has the auto on/off feature in their vehicle, really do hate it with a passion. Oddly enough however, i find this as an amazing feature, especially while driving in traffic. Plus for a cruiser type of vehicle like my wifes x3, saves a ton on gas every month/year.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #44
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I don't know why people are saying you have to buy an 'expensive' model to get the UDM. In the past you didn't have to. There are a few key parts that make a BMW a the Ultimate Driving Machine: great engine, great steering, great transmission, RWD, well-sorted suspension. We had it all in the 128i (the most entry level BMW of the E chassis). Okay, maybe the suspension wasn't perfect . . . but I can live with that (for now lol).

The replacement entry level 228i loses two fundamental characteristics; the steering and the engine. What is the point of buying a BMW if you don't get a good engine, and the steering feels like crap?

BTW, I've heard BMW is going to sell a 228i X-Drive convertible soon; What the hell is the point of that thing?! The brand is truly marketing to everyone on the earth right now.

This is what happens when shareholders solely run a company unfortunately.
Appreciate 0