BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #45
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Good review ! .. I'd like to try to drive one sometime and compare against my manual .. I just have to find a store and by a dress or skirt before I do that ...

Crowley
Good comment. I agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 08:41 AM   #46
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Have you heard what the exhaust sounds like when you change gears on an auto??? lol it sounds like crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #47
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndprssr View Post
Why would you want it to hold the gear at redline? The 135's hp numbers start dropping off at around 5700 RPMs, well before the 7000 redline. You should really never have any reason to hold it in or at redline. This is, of course, coming from a technical POV and racing background so you may have your reasons...

I would like to know as well actually.

If I'm coming up to corner in second gear I might be accelerating hard coming up to the corner - maybe taking it to redline. I want to be sure that the car does not change to 3rd for me coming into the corner as i want to stay in 2nd throught the corner... Does that make sense?

Or maybe you're going through a corner at high speeed and want to hold the car at the redline so as not to change gear id corner and unsettle the car....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #48
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

OK this thread is a joke. Its just a rationalization in disguise for a non-performance oriented transmission choice. It has absolutely nothing to do with technology.

The steptronic transmission in 135i is an excellent option, but its a compromise. The driving experience with a step is nothing like driving a true manual transmission.

The F1 shifter reference is cute, but poorly constructed. The 135i step is nothing like a gearbox in an Enzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
I wasn't trying to start a flamewar with my post, but it's so funny to see some of the diehard manual guys posts.

It kinda reminds me of the old audiofiles who hate technology and say "You kids and your digital iPod-a-majigs don't know anything about music. Real music is heard through a record player!"

I've been a serious gearhead since I was 5 years old and one thing I know is certain about modern automobiles is...manual trannys are going to go the way of the record player in the future.

The next time you look into the cockpit of a new Lambo or Ferrari, try to find the "stick". Most high-end auto makers are switching to F1 styled, computer controlled gearboxes. It's real simple, computers shift far faster and more effeciently than any human can or ever will. You keep fooling yourself into thinking your manual is better and ask yourself why there is no "Stick" in an Enzo.

I suspect there will always be some simblance of a "stick" transmission, but my guess is in the future it will actually be a digitally controlled gearbox, with the "feel" of a manual.

To clear up one point on the Step in manual mode, you CAN downshift if you want to. You can drive it just like a regular manual tranny. It also shifts much smoother than many would have you believe.

My post was intended to help those who are caught between choosing Step or Manual. All I'm saying is the Step is a great way to go. :respekt:
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #49
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I would like to know as well actually.

If I'm coming up to corner in second gear I might be accelerating hard coming up to the corner - maybe taking it to redline. I want to be sure that the car does not change to 3rd for me coming into the corner as i want to stay in 2nd throught the corner... Does that make sense?

Or maybe you're going through a corner at high speeed and want to hold the car at the redline so as not to change gear id corner and unsettle the car....
I see what you're saying, I would not be too happy with an unexpected gear change in the middle of a curve. In a situation like that you would have to have some practice with the particular car, in general, in curves. I usually let off the gas a little before the curve and then get back on it after the apex which holds the gear, but I have not really tried too much with the 135 yet since we literally just got through the break-in period. The STEP in DS and manual modes hold the gear pretty well, better than pretty much anything else (auto) I've driven.

The only thing you really have to worry about when getting into redline, aside from excessive heat, is valve float which is something that may or may not happen depending on your luck and how long you keep the RPMs excessive. Only valve train that does not permit valve float at all is the Desmodromic system, but I think that is only found in Ducatis...
      05-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #50
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Umm the guy was saying how he really like the ZF auto. Not that it was better than a manual or that everyone should buy the auto and manual driver's are posers so WTH. Just stating it was cool and he like various features. Smae as someone going on about how tehy might really like the sport package.

I've driven for 3 hours at a clip in 5-10mph bumper to bumper 495/DC traffic with a manual, a light one too and it sucks, it sucks bad. Luckily for me this a once or twice a year issue so I can enjoy my 3 pedals, if it was even once a week I'd have an automated manual (DSG/SMG) or a very good torque converter auto without looking back.

Glad you like your choice OP don't worry about want any of these other's say.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #51
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
......The 135i step is nothing like a gearbox in an Enzo.
OTOH, the 135i is nothing like an Enzo. :wink:
      05-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #52
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Heh, funny thread - I wonder how many less orders there would be right now if 6MT was the only transmission available.
      05-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #53
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
Have you heard what the exhaust sounds like when you change gears on an auto??? lol it sounds like crap.
Yes. An F1, Le Mans, and WRC car sound very excellent for an auto. Much better than any manual car I've heard. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #54
Matt60158
///M
Rep
Drives:

I don't really consider the F1 gearboxes automatics since the lack a torque converter. I think of them more as a glorified evolution of the manual transmission. As far as I know you are still solely responsible for the shifts.
      05-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #55
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndprssr View Post
Why would you want it to hold the gear at redline? The 135's hp numbers start dropping off at around 5700 RPMs, well before the 7000 redline. You should really never have any reason to hold it in or at redline. This is, of course, coming from a technical POV and racing background so you may have your reasons...

I can see down the road with different mods / tunes that allow you to keep gaining as you get closer to redline .. that would be one thought in regards to why you would want to go to redline (if it is kept at the stock setting).

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #56
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

If your A/F ratio is set properly you should really not get that much closer to redline. Although you can move your main powerband around a little, theoretically the engine will stop making power at or very little after redline. It's not just a made up number set by the manufacturer, it's figured by (Avg. Piston Spd. x 6)/Stroke (weight of parts, displacement, etc. comes into play as well, but I'm not getting into all that here). When you exceed it, you are passing the range where the engine can effectively make power. It is possible to build the engine up to make it higher reving, but then you have just pushed the redline higher.

This is what I was taught when I went for my DynoJet certification, in several engine building workshops, and from personal experience so while I could be way off base here, I'm really hoping I'm not. BTW, nice Ultraman avatar, I used to watch the tv show when I was younger...