BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Advan performance, E82/E88 135i MT "Custom Cooling Solution"

Hey guys,

here are some pics of an intercooler, oil cooler, radiator upgrade we just completed on a E82 135i.

As you can see the installation of this hardware is not for the faint hearted, as removal of the plastic cowling behind the front bumper support is significant to say the least. However IMHO fit and finish of the entire kit (which some may consider a little extreme) is spot on, this is in no small part due to the many years of experience Advan has with the development and installation of similar kits on Skyline GT-R race cars.

This is the first time we have installed an intercooler with a core size of 400 x 400 x 102 mm into a N54 equipped vehicle, as such there may be some revisions made to future kits to accommodate owners who are not prepared to go to these lengths. But based on initial testing we are very happy with the results and the customer was indeed wrapped with the finished product.

As for inquiries regarding hardware and installation costs, at this stage any further Custom Cooling Solutions are P.O.A.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 07-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

Advan don't half bake their solutions!

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

That intercooler

Just

Wow

I'm incredibly interested in that o_o

Have you measured any negative effects on water temps especially with the oil cooler sandwiched there as well?

Room for a triple oil cooler setup now though... Haha

And do you have to cut up the BUMPER not just the bumper support, to accommodate it being so much thicker?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I take it this is for those Sahara desert track days?
      06-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
Advan don't half bake their solutions!
Ummm, yeah my thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
That intercooler

Just

Wow

I'm incredibly interested in that o_o

Have you measured any negative effects on water temps especially with the oil cooler sandwiched there as well?

Room for a triple oil cooler setup now though... Haha

And do you have to cut up the BUMPER not just the bumper support, to accommodate it being so much thicker?
So far so good with water temps, the radiator we used has the same core width and depth as the OEM 135i unit, but it's taller with an increased core/coolant volume as such and IIRC the FPI of the core has been increased too.

I do not think additional oil coolers will be required in this setup. We will soon be putting together a Dual core "Stage 3" Setrab kit for a US 135i customer, where OEM intercooler placement is maintained. The singular high volume core is obviously a different method of tackling the same oil temp problem, which may prove to be more effective than running a dual core setup, but the true test of the system will be at the race track.

The bumper support is definitely NOT cut, we would not advocate doing that. However the back side of the kidney grilles themselves required some trimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
I take it this is for those Sahara desert track days?
The customer was hitting oil temp induced limp modes at the track with a Dinan oil cooler installed, so it was a case of "go big or go home".
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Ummm, yeah my thoughts exactly.

So far so good with water temps, the radiator we used has the same core width and depth as the OEM 135i unit, but it's taller with an increased core/coolant volume as such and IIRC the FPI of the core has been increased too.

I do not think additional oil coolers will be required in this setup. We will soon be putting together a Dual core "Stage 3" Setrab kit for a US 135i customer, where OEM intercooler placement is maintained. The singular high volume core is obviously a different method of tackling the same oil temp problem, which may prove to be more effective than running a dual core setup, but the true test of the system will be at the race track.

The bumper support is definitely NOT cut, we would not advocate doing that. However the back side of the kidney grilles themselves required some trimming.

The customer was hitting oil temp induced limp modes at the track with a Dinan oil cooler installed, so it was a case of "go big or go home".
so the front of the intercooler isn't further forwards? (i was talking about the actual front bumper, forward of the FMIC)

so you just have to cut the surrounds etc.. like you do for most large intercoolers anyway?... yeah i can see some cut plastic in the bottom 3 pics or so .. that's sweet! (i wasn't suggesting structural stuff be cut!)

i'll be looking at a duel core kit myself

compared to a dual core kit, how large is this cooler? (say compare to the ER race twin cooler kit?), the ER competition kit being 288CI/4.77L of oil

and considering instead of ambient air going through, it'll be several degrees hotter due to the intercooler in front of it, which would have to be considered

i for one would be interested in a TOTALLY OVERKILL triple oil cooler setup possibly...:P

but otherwise, definitely interested in this, as that intercooler.. well it's bigger than i was even interested in going (somewhat around the big tom/cxracing size or slightly larger through bell).. and i need an N54 radiator anyway.

may i ask what core the intercooler is?

i mean... i don't normally like off-the-shelf kits because they're not as overkill as i''d like

but

DAMN haha

would you mind PMing me a tentative price?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

oh and one more question - pressure drop over the intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Pm me a price Justin. I've already have the Advan stage 2 oil cooler and meth tank
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

any lag issues?

-Elee
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Nice at last N54 with simple custom work and not over fu**ing priced parts...

Thank You ADVAN for doing that
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey guys,

as some of you would suspect I have quite a bit of info pertaining to the heat exchanging devices utilised in this setup, so I'll come back to answer individual questions shortly.

However please be aware that the hardware on display in this thread, is NOT a kit that will be available for purchase via supply only. As per my original thread title it was a "Custom Cooling Solution" for one particular customer.

The scope of fabrication and craftsmanship required to complete this installation is extensive to say the least. This is not something even the very competent back yard mechanic should be tackling and dare I say there would not be a lot of automotive workshops around, that would take on such an install without having every nut and bolt available to them in a nicely packaged "kit", which Peter has no interest in supplying.

We have most certainly designed and manufactured kits in the past and we will continue to do so where practicable, but the above cooling solution is not a saleable kit at this point in time.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey guys,

as some of you would suspect I have quite a bit of info pertaining to the heat exchanging devices utilised in this setup, so I'll come back to answer individual questions shortly.

However please be aware that the hardware on display in this thread, is NOT a kit that will be available for purchase via supply only. As per my original thread title it was a "Custom Cooling Solution" for one particular customer.

The scope of fabrication and craftsmanship required to complete this installation is extensive to say the least. This is not something even the very competent back yard mechanic should be tackling and dare I say there would not be a lot of automotive workshops around, that would take on such an install without having every nut and bolt available to them in a nicely packaged "kit", which Peter has no interest in supplying.

We have most certainly designed and manufactured kits in the past and we will continue to do so where practicable, but the above cooling solution is not a saleable kit at this point in time.

Cheers,

JD.
well that sucks, teasing us haha

looks like i'll have to get a custom setup - possibly sans oil cooler then, now knowing all that fits in >_<

why wouldn't it be possible for you to supply a kit of it? it's mostly in those support brackets isn't it?... and then just cutting the shrouding to make it fit?

more interested in what that FMIC is

and considering you already sell the PWR radiator as a cooling upgrade solution, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to sell this kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Justin I sent you a PM yesterday and also called Advan today with no luck. Can you reply to my PM when you get the chance. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Justin I sent you a PM yesterday and also called Advan today with no luck. Can you reply to my PM when you get the chance. Cheers
Hey Vinney,

sorry for the slow response, my 9-5 job has been keeping me somewhat busy at the moment.

PM sent!

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0