BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Question Exhaust Mod(s) w/o power loss?

Hey guys, I would like a little less restriction from the exhaust area, and was wondering what the best mod is for something like this. I want absolutely NO power loss. I would like power to be the same or better. If this can NOT be done, I will simply leave my exhaust alone.

But if there is something on there that will only benefit from being removed/ cut. What is it? I had my cats removed on my last car and replaced with test piping. When I had this done I had the JB+ installed. Now when I was catless and stock I fealt as if I heard more but feel like I lost low end power. Is that possible or in my head, to lose power? This is why I am asking questions...

Please explain yourself when proposing ideas, it is very much appreciated.
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

if your last car was a bmw that was normally aspirated, for the most part the motors are designed to have a certain amount of backpressure... so... yes.. you will get more noise but less backpressure, less torque.. and less power.... In essence.. just because it works on a american car.... doesn't mean that a less restrictive exhaust is the key for a BMW.

a simple trip to the dyno likely would have confirmed your concerns on your previous car.

I would recommend going to a dyno now and get a baseline..... and then you will know in the future if your mods are helping or hurting..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

No pump is ever designed to specifically engineer backpressure in the exhaust system for better performance. Anything you can do to decrease backpressure is good, especially on turbocharged applications. Decreasing backpressure while maintaining exhaust gas velocity is a little more tricky on naturally aspirated cars.

BMW knew that velocity and flow were very important with our pea-shooter sized turbos which is why they went with dual 60mm tubing instead of a much less costly single tube exhaust like what you would see on many other larger displacement 6cyl turbo applications.

We have an cat delete midpipe setup for the 1M that will free up the exhaust system, give you better flow, remove two cats, and give you a little more spice in the sound department. HP has been running our setup on his car for some time now.

https://www.berktechnology.com/store...mw-1m-exhaust/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I have the Berk midpipes. Love them.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Do these mid pipes throw any codes? Any vids that demonstrate the sound diff?

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Midpipes will never ever throw codes. Talk to Harold @ HPA for his first hand account of midpipes only on the stock axleback for the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Some user submitted videos of a midpipe only swap on a 135i. The 1M is different but similar enough to draw some useful comparisons on how it will sound on the two cars.

Quote:
"I had a BMW 135i 2010.

I wanted exhaust note louder than stock, but not too much.

So I looked for BMW PE, but it's too pricey..... about 1500$ and only 3 hp more.

I decided to bought Berk Midpipe. 600$ and 10-15 hp more to the wheels. (http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/1-Se...duct_info.html)

And, I think downpipe are too lood for me...

So , I lift my car with Jacks and install the midpipes.

It was not easy and not hard, but took to me about 2-3 hours with one beer break... I don't have a lot of sapace to work and nuts are difficult to unscrew.

Berk Midpipes fit perfectly and all you need come in the box. They seems to be very solid and well made. They are also more lightweight than stock midpipe.

Installation was succesful and I record one video with sound before and two more after.

This is the perfect thing to give a looder sound than stock, but not too much. I keep my stock downpipe and my stock exhaust.

Sound is very close to stock when at idle. But, when you start accelerating, the exhaust note is beautiful, but not too much. It's not like a fucking Honda Civic exhaust pipe. It's a V6 sound. Just enought and not intoxicating. You can heard it in the cabin. It's like my friend's G37 exhaust, but louder in hard accelerating.

Shipping was fast and service very good....

If you want more sound but not too louder, go with this upgrade."
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Here is a link with more details of the mid-pipe with sound clips.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=mid-pipe
Appreciate 0