BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Upgraded FMIC Efficiency Questions

I looked all over and maybe my searching skills are horrible, but I do have a few questions in regards to upgraded intercoolers for our cars.

I currently run BMS Intakes, VRSF Downpipes, an ETS intercooler, and a COBB AP with a daily tune of Stage 2 + and once in a while the E30 mapping.

While I think the car is much faster, and feels much better daily driving, I cant help to think that even the aftermarket intercoolers are still not keeping the cooling down that much. I am in no way refering to ETS, but in general.

The intercoolers are not "tall", but yet the do flow more and are larger width wise. Would our cars not benefit a huge amount more from a much taller intercooler traditionally found on many other cars? (for instance, the ETS intercooler for the EVOS, SUPRAS, etc)

I only ask this because I live in Florida, and even though the car pulls hard, still heat soaks REALLY bad in the daytime after a few pulls back to back and with summer coming up im not too thrilled...

Are there any reasons why they are all making short intercoolers? Is is a clearance issue? Would a 7 inch core make THAT much difference over the 5 inch ETS that I have?

I am not a fan of Water/Meth and have never used it and dont plan on it. Is that my next step/option if I want to control the cooling even more or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
I looked all over and maybe my searching skills are horrible, but I do have a few questions in regards to upgraded intercoolers for our cars.

I currently run BMS Intakes, VRSF Downpipes, an ETS intercooler, and a COBB AP with a daily tune of Stage 2 + and once in a while the E30 mapping.

While I think the car is much faster, and feels much better daily driving, I cant help to think that even the aftermarket intercoolers are still not keeping the cooling down that much. I am in no way refering to ETS, but in general.

The intercoolers are not "tall", but yet the do flow more and are larger width wise. Would our cars not benefit a huge amount more from a much taller intercooler traditionally found on many other cars? (for instance, the ETS intercooler for the EVOS, SUPRAS, etc)

I only ask this because I live in Florida, and even though the car pulls hard, still heat soaks REALLY bad in the daytime after a few pulls back to back and with summer coming up im not too thrilled...

Are there any reasons why they are all making short intercoolers? Is is a clearance issue? Would a 7 inch core make THAT much difference over the 5 inch ETS that I have?

I am not a fan of Water/Meth and have never used it and dont plan on it. Is that my next step/option if I want to control the cooling even more or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for the help everyone.

There are TALL intercoolers, AA tuning, Big Tom (ebay) and I believe Stett. The reason why most shops make smaller fmic is because most bmw owners dont want to cut or make permanent changes to their cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
There are TALL intercoolers, AA tuning, Big Tom (ebay) and I believe Stett. The reason why most shops make smaller fmic is because most bmw owners dont want to cut or make permanent changes to their cars.
I guess what I am asking is this:

Cutting the bumper aside, does the companies with the taller intercoolers for OUR cars make a huge difference in cooling over the 5 inch ETS intercooler that I have? ETS makes a ton of intercoolers, with AMAZING quality, why didnt they make they optional TALL version?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Yes a taller narrow intercooler should be more efficient, but with our car design the taller section would be behind the front bumper, with restricted air flow, so it's possible a deeper FMIC works just as we'll.
Damn, won't know without buying and testing both. Sounds like a good excuse for some hard driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Yes a taller narrow intercooler should be more efficient, but with our car design the taller section would be behind the front bumper, with restricted air flow, so it's possible a deeper FMIC works just as we'll.
Damn, won't know without buying and testing both. Sounds like a good excuse for some hard driving.
That's what I was thinking as well. That the intercooler is large enough to not be blocked off by the bumper and still pretty beefy, but thought maybe the taller intercooler (blocked off and all) would still allow for more air to cooler quicker. Maybe my train of though on this is off. I wanted to take the corn cobb looking grill out of th front this weekend but the ETS intercooler would look so tiny in there.... hmmm....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

The ETS intercooler's attribute is that it requires no permanent modifications other than removal of a passenger-side clamp.

However, given that its based on a 5" core, it has its limitations. Just the way it is. The Forge offering is only marginally better for the same reasons. The "best" intercooler really comes down to the personal preference of the owner. If you're willing to cut (trim is not the word I would use), your performance ceiling will be higher. That said, I'd be careful about choosing a 7" core-based FMIC. From what I've heard, responsiveness is compromised.

FWIW, I chose ER.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The ETS intercooler's attribute is that it requires no permanent modifications other than removal of a passenger-side clamp.

However, given that its based on a 5" core, it has its limitations. Just the way it is. The Forge offering is only marginally better for the same reasons. The "best" intercooler really comes down to the personal preference of the owner. If you're willing to cut (trim is not the word I would use), your performance ceiling will be higher. That said, I'd be careful about choosing a 7" core-based FMIC. From what I've heard, responsiveness is compromised.

FWIW, I chose ER.
Yea, I know what you mean. In all honesty, I believe that after installing both downpipes and the intercooler that I have MORE lag, not less. I am getting ready for some track days and it makes me not even want to go with the heat soak issues. Maybe its time to get a better car that can handle the extra power...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
AWCR1MC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Coming from an Evo I've always wondered the same thing. Here's a link to a thread comparing the Big Tom to the ETS FMIC http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438549
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

About turbo lag from the increased FMIC volume, I tried to look at the slope of the boost curve under full throttle and could not see a difference, from stock to my aftermarket FMIC, thankfully. This worried me because of the increased compressed system air volume that is lost every time you shift gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Thanks. I dont feel so bad about the ETS anymore. Not a HUGE difference as previous thought. I think I will have to start to look into some meth injection or find a better track car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
About turbo lag from the increased FMIC volume, I tried to look at the slope of the boost curve under full throttle and could not see a difference, from stock to my aftermarket FMIC, thankfully. This worried me because of the increased compressed system air volume that is lost every time you shift gears.
I have steptronic, plus with the traction control off and in sport mode my car dosnt "shift", per se'. lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

With a 6mt, when I shift while hauling ass, say 2nd to 3rd, I see boost drop to about 6 psi during the shift from data logs.
Before I made a change to my car I bought the GoPoint OBDII cable and DashCommand software for my IPad, great for data logging and clearing thrown codes. I have used it on many friends and family's cars.

Last edited by Suds; 05-24-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

For my build, the goal has been to achieve normally aspirated responsiveness from an N54. I feel I've come as close as possible with Akra downpipes and mids, aFe DCI, ER charge pipe with Tial BOV, and GIAC stage 2+. The only real lag I feel is due to the 1M power delivery. GIAC apparently retains some form of over boost....

Any lag I feel was not the result of exhaust and/or FMIC mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Schmoops135i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive - Sport line

If a car is stock, would an upgraded FMIC deliver better performance? I'm noticing that my car heat soaks after a few hard pulls.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoops135i View Post
If a car is stock, would an upgraded FMIC deliver better performance? I'm noticing that my car heat soaks after a few hard pulls.
I'd say so, the stock FMIC really isnt that great and after a couple hard pulls ya notice it. Even a stock car would benefit from a good FMIC. Talking to the guys at BMS and Cobb, while ppl love to claim DPs are the best mod besides a tune, most of the guys there think a upgraded FMIC is the best mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoops135i View Post
Yes. Your car wont "gain" any performance, per se, but it wont heat soak as quickly which will result in you being able to beat on it for much longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
Schmoops135i
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive - Sport line

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
I'd say so, the stock FMIC really isnt that great and after a couple hard pulls ya notice it. Even a stock car would benefit from a good FMIC. Talking to the guys at BMS and Cobb, while ppl love to claim DPs are the best mod besides a tune, most of the guys there think a upgraded FMIC is the best mod.
Appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0