BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
i am leasing - so for now may stick to the premium system - thanks
You will be fine with the Premium... if you do not have any intention to upgrade it with aftermarket amps/processors later on.

And for clarification, the base/standard audio system is named "HiFi", the Premium/Logic7 is "Top-HiFi". This could make this thread less confusing, as talking about the HiFi is not the same as talking about the Premium/Logic7.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
And for clarification, the base/standard audio system is named "HiFi", the Premium/Logic7 is "Top-HiFi". This could make this thread less confusing, as talking about the HiFi is not the same as talking about the Premium/Logic7.
Good call!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

The differences are not that big.
The headunits are the same. Contrary to what anyone will tell you, they are the same.
The difference is in the speakers and the amp.
The Hifi option gives you 10 speakers with paper cones and an amp in the trunk.
The amp is getting 4ch balanced inputs from the headunit.

The Top-Hifi option gives you 10 speakers also, but with larger magnets, cones made of stronger material and therefore can handle more power.
The amp receives a pure digital signal from the head unit and does the logic 7 processing on-board.

In terms of sound quality, the amps should sound about the same. Any pro-audio who knows his head from his ass will tell you than balanced audio is near perfect. As for digital, well who knows what kind of processing happens within the radio and the amp circuitry.
The difference is when you crank up the volume, then the lack of power in the Hi-Fi amp and cheaper speakers is apparent.

Best bet is getting a better amp AND upgrading the speakers. To do this, DO NOT GET the Top-HiFi system since its digital thus forcing you to keep the OEM amp in the loop. A huge no-no for sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #26
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
You will be fine with the Premium... if you do not have any intention to upgrade it with aftermarket amps/processors later on.

Actually, this off the bmwusa and edmunds sites for the 135i:

677 Premium Hi-Fi System
Includes Premium Hi-Fi anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio with upgraded speakers (including 2 subwoofers), Digital Sound Processing (DSP), Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store and 3-channel FM diversity antenna; displays mp3 song title and artist.

This is the $875 option. For those who say they dont hear much difference over stock, its hard to imagine those twin subwoofers cant be heard!! Maybe its the type of music youre listening to. And I dont think the price is bad at all. I paid almost twice that back in 2000 for Kenwood Excelon system, separate amps subs, tuner, speakers, etc... The 677 system sounds like a bargain for what you get.
      07-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #27
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post

677 Premium Hi-Fi System
Includes Premium Hi-Fi anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio with upgraded speakers (including 2 subwoofers), Digital Sound Processing (DSP), Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store and 3-channel FM diversity antenna; displays mp3 song title and artist.

This is the $875 option. For those who say they dont hear much difference over stock, its hard to imagine those twin subwoofers cant be heard!! Maybe its the type of music youre listening to. And I dont think the price is bad at all. I paid almost twice that back in 2000 for Kenwood Excelon system, separate amps subs, tuner, speakers, etc... The 677 system sounds like a bargain for what you get.
The base system in the US also includes the twin subwoofers, although the cone material and magnet may be different in the premium version, and of course there is less power for the standard version.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #28
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Hi Fi vs logic 7 comparison

I put in my order for a Lemans Blue 128 m-sport today. My last decision point was the sound system. I am coming from the Audi S4 Bose system. I did back to back comparisons of the three at the dealership, using the Mars disk from Stadium Arcadium. As a reference point, I would say compared to most audiophiles, I am not one, but compared to your average listener, I am probably a relative audiophile. Here are my unscientific results/opinions. I made sure all the units were set to flat eq response.
Base HI-Fi - listened to first. More than acceptable for me. Good dynamic range, and general overall presentation of music. Good spatial separation. A fine system for listening to generally anything coming out of an ipod.
Bose System (Audi S4) - bigger sound - better spatial projection. Deeper and clearer bass; clearer highs. Made the base system sound a bit muddy by comparison
Logic 7 - all DSP gimmics turned off (actually sounded best that way). Clearly the richest and cleanest sound. More spatial depth and separation. Closer to home component sound. Memories of the base system even muddier.

I decided to go with the Logic 7. (I will likely need to figure out how to store the highest quality sounds on my ipod.) Base hi-fi system will likely suit most people, and I would personally have only minor regrets with it. Had I not had the opportunity to listen to the premium system, I would have been quite happy
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry View Post
I have the premium system in my 135i and also have the HD radio. The sound of the HD radio on a local oldies HD station is as good as playing a CD on my home Bose Wave system. Playing a CD, in particular a high quality CD like a Telarc in the car is even better. Worth the money.
That's something I should have considered more, HD radio.
BMW HU reception is pretty poor. Even a strong signal like one of the more popular Chicago stations, comes in with light static from time to time.
It did this in my 325i too. Other than the new subs and more amp power, the sound of the base HU isn't much better than it was in 2003.
It's pretty pathetic really.
No one should have to pay nearly $900 just to get something "acceptable".
Acceptable should be standard and included.

BTW, I don't like nor get the idea of fake DSP sound environments, like "stadium" or "arean", "club", etc...
Musicians and audio engineers work hard to get the sound they intended as artists. If they wanted more echo or a cave like sound, they would have recorded it that way.
I like the idea of better eq control, but the fake sound stages is pointless to me.

Here's an idea, spend that money on giving the basic audio system a better STEREO sound, BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #30
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Here's an idea, spend that money on giving the basic audio system a better STEREO sound, BMW.
I could not agree more.

Also, please use standard sized speakers that don't have only 3 mounting points.

How about using 6.5" drivers everywhere and a DIN sized radio. Wait, that would be way too difficult!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #31
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

677 Premium Hi-Fi System

Premium HiFi = Top HiFi

HiFi in BMW Corporate lingo (not BMWNA lingo) means OEM amp, and there are 2 levels of the OEM amp in the 1-Series and three levels in the 3-Series. Thus the HiFi and the Top HiFi distinctions.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:

For the US market, the base system is just called the "base system. The term "hiFi" is neither on BMWUSA.com, nor on edmunds.com, two good sources for info.
The base system in the US is just the "base" system.
"Premium hi-fi" is the only upgrade available, so many people just call it "hi-fi" or just "premium". Also, the "premium hi-fi" here in the US, is not the same as the Logic 7, which is an upgrade option from the base system in the 3 series.

I think it's pretty clear, I mean, there are only 2 systems in the US 1 series that you can get, base or premium.
The Euro market has a much broader audio option list with different names too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I put in my order for a Lemans Blue 128 m-sport today. My last decision point was the sound system. I am coming from the Audi S4 Bose system. I did back to back comparisons of the three at the dealership, using the Mars disk from Stadium Arcadium. As a reference point, I would say compared to most audiophiles, I am not one, but compared to your average listener, I am probably a relative audiophile. Here are my unscientific results/opinions. I made sure all the units were set to flat eq response.
Base HI-Fi - listened to first. More than acceptable for me. Good dynamic range, and general overall presentation of music. Good spatial separation. A fine system for listening to generally anything coming out of an ipod.
Bose System (Audi S4) - bigger sound - better spatial projection. Deeper and clearer bass; clearer highs. Made the base system sound a bit muddy by comparison
Logic 7 - all DSP gimmics turned off (actually sounded best that way). Clearly the richest and cleanest sound. More spatial depth and separation. Closer to home component sound. Memories of the base system even muddier.

I decided to go with the Logic 7. (I will likely need to figure out how to store the highest quality sounds on my ipod.) Base hi-fi system will likely suit most people, and I would personally have only minor regrets with it. Had I not had the opportunity to listen to the premium system, I would have been quite happy
Unless you're not in the US, I'm guessing you're listening tests were done in a 1 series, and not the 3?
If you compared the L7 in the 3 series, you won't get that system or sound in the 1 series.
There isn't a Logic 7 option available for the 1 series.
There is a "premium hi-fi" upgrade from the base system, which is the one you got if you went for the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #34
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Unless you're not in the US, I'm guessing you're listening tests were done in a 1 series, and not the 3?
If you compared the L7 in the 3 series, you won't get that system or sound in the 1 series.
There is a "premium hi-fi" upgrade from the base system, which is the one you got if you went for the upgrade.
I have the Logic7 system. My car is US spec.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #35
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

My wife have a 125i Base, and I have the 135i Premium. For the money you pay, it's not much more than what you would spend on an equivalent aftermarket upgrade, and that's with full integration. It is well balanced - the settings do need to be played with a bit, especially trying to balance the base. It is $2000 here in Aus, and I had a $3600 system before - the HK system is probably about 85-90% of that. The resolution and detail could be better, but only if you are comparing with $2000 home speakers.

Not as good as the B&W Zeppelin in terms of resolution and detail (that's a desktop speaker that is so cheap for what you get), but it has good clarity and staging.

The 125i (128i) base system sounded awful last time when I just jumped from one car to the other.

I would say it would be about on par with something about $1200-$1500 with our money, but I would be happy to pay the premium for integration.

I have yet to fully test both out back to back, but I would be intending to do a review soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #36
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The 1 series has a logic 7 simulation as it doesnt' have central speakers like the 3er.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #37
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

And you would have regretted not getting the system, especially you appreciate the bose in the S4. Bose is not even on audiophil standard . You get that from Bose, but the most disappointed system is the Lexus Mark Levison upgrade - don't get me wrong, it is great for the money, but I don't think that's up to Mark Levison's standard.

I thought it was brilliant when i first listen to it, but now that I have heard the HK on the 1er - the Mark Levison is not much better.

The bottom line is - the new HK system with BMWs are quite close to the HK home systems. While the Mark Levison car system is really there just in name. It might still be the best out of the lot, but it's not like Mark Levison, if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #38
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
For the US market, the base system is just called the "base system. The term "hiFi" is neither on BMWUSA.com, nor on edmunds.com, two good sources for info.
The base system in the US is just the "base" system.
"Premium hi-fi" is the only upgrade available, so many people just call it "hi-fi" or just "premium". Also, the "premium hi-fi" here in the US, is not the same as the Logic 7, which is an upgrade option from the base system in the 3 series.

I think it's pretty clear, I mean, there are only 2 systems in the US 1 series that you can get, base or premium.
The Euro market has a much broader audio option list with different names too.
The only good source is the source...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 HiFi.pdf (191.5 KB, 156 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #39
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Lets be crystal clear here.

The one series has 3 system options for sound.

Stereo, Hifi, Top-Hifi.
What the brochure calls them is irrelevant. The technical documentation from BMW calls it the above.
In North America we get the Hifi by default with no option for the cheaper "stereo".
The only option is the Top-Hifi which DOES have logic 7 processing where the (missing) center channel is simply mapped to the front left/right speakers.

These two systems have the same number of speakers, and both are amplified.
However, they have completely different hardware with the exception of the head unit which is the same on all systems (non-idrive).
The speakers incl. tweeters and amp are different and are connected differently.

If you want to stay stock, then go top-hifi or logic7 or HK or whatever you want to call it. If you plan on upgrading, do not get that system, it'll give you even worse results than if you go with standard hifi.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #40
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Considering I often have road noise, engine hum, a girlfriend yakkin' in my ear, cars honking, expansion joints going bump, loud engines going by, the premium sound is perfectly fine for me.

When I want critical listening, I will go into my studio, sit in my chair, fire up my computer, and play music from there.
      07-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #41
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Does the top HI FI have a usb port for flashdrive? Or does one still need to order the separate ipod/usb option on top of the Top HI FI?
      07-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #42
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Does the top HI FI have a usb port for flashdrive? Or does one still need to order the separate ipod/usb option on top of the Top HI FI?
The USB/iPod adapter is a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #43
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The USB/iPod adapter is a stand alone option.
I know it is.. My question was, do I need the separate USB/IPOD option to play the mp3 folders on my flash drive if I get the Premium HI FI system, or, does the Premium HI FI system have facilities, both in software and in hardware to accomplish the same WITHOUT requiring the purchase of the separate USB/IPOD option.
      07-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #44
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I know it is.. My question was, do I need the separate USB/IPOD option to play the mp3 folders on my flash drive if I get the Premium HI FI system, or, does the Premium HI FI system have facilities, both in software and in hardware to accomplish the same WITHOUT requiring the purchase of the separate USB/IPOD option.
The USB/iPod adapter and the audio system upgrade are two separate and individual options in the 1 Series. One is not included/required with the other.

Now, if you got the MY2009 iDrive Navigation system then you do have an USB port in the glovebox that will allow you to download music from your flashdrive into the HDD. This particular USB port will not allow to play music directly from the flashdrive, it is only for up/downloading music/map data.
Appreciate 0