BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Sport Mode on/off

Any problems with, when entering traffic, hitting the Sport mode button and after getting into driving lane turning Sport mode off? From what I gather you can push sport button, move lever to the left and select sport or manual anytime moving or standing still. I believe the computer will not allow a change that would damage any part of the car.

All comments are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

You can switch sport mode on and off any time, and you can switch transmission modes any time as well.

You won't get any more power by the sport button on, you will just get a sharper throttle response. So the same effect as accelerating 50% with sport mode on can be accelerating 60 or 70% with sport mode off.

As for the transmission, putting it into sport mode will just shift later, and a little bit faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
dwagner003
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Hope not.. I can't remember the last time I drove without the Sport button on..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i View Post
You can switch sport mode on and off any time, and you can switch transmission modes any time as well.

You won't get any more power by the sport button on, you will just get a sharper throttle response. So the same effect as accelerating 50% with sport mode on can be accelerating 60 or 70% with sport mode off.

As for the transmission, putting it into sport mode will just shift later, and a little bit faster.
I think I understand your second sentence. I will not get any more power but with the "Sport" button OFF I will get more acceleration? My objective is to get into traffic fast. Sometime entering I am around 35MPH and need to get to 75MPH quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Harper55987
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Then just step on the gas...

No "mode" is going to magically accelerate your car. You have to do that as a human. Those modes are for different feedback & response to the driver.
Agreed. I wouldn't think you have a problem either way... Torque and power have always been more then enough to merge without even trying.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your inputs. I guess then I would ask would I get to 60MPH faster using the "Sport" button mode or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks again. I will stop beating a dead horse. I do love the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
socal135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochermit View Post
I think I understand your second sentence. I will not get any more power but with the "Sport" button OFF I will get more acceleration? My objective is to get into traffic fast. Sometime entering I am around 35MPH and need to get to 75MPH quickly.
Don't listen to these people. You do get more power with the sport button on. It turns on a hidden third turbo that isn't in the factory manuals.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I played around with the different settings the other day and found that moving the gear shift to S and pressing the Sport button certainly does give me a very, or should I say, extremely quick engine/transmission response. And that is just going down to the pressure point. I have yet to go to the floor. Not used to all this power and have to take it one step at a time.

Thanks to all for your responses. So much info, so little time.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

One thing that does not seem to have been mentioned yet is downshifting. In both normal drive and Sport you can still downshift with the paddle and get more umph. This is what is going to put you in the power band instead of giving you sharper throttle response in a cruising rev range. After a few seconds of relaxed driving the computer will automatically go back to drive if that is what you are driving in. Basically, if you want to pass you should downshift. It is also easier on the engine to accelerate in the "power band" than from lower in the rev range as the "power band" is directly correlated to engine effency.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
One thing that does not seem to have been mentioned yet is downshifting. In both normal drive and Sport you can still downshift with the paddle and get more umph. This is what is going to put you in the power band instead of giving you sharper throttle response in a cruising rev range. After a few seconds of relaxed driving the computer will automatically go back to drive if that is what you are driving in. Basically, if you want to pass you should downshift. It is also easier on the engine to accelerate in the "power band" than from lower in the rev range as the "power band" is directly correlated to engine effency.
This does bring up another point and I will start a new thread on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

Quote:
What...?

With an automatic, when u step on the pedal, the car DOWNSHIFTS automatically and without driver input, the car will find it's own efficient mean of accelerating you (ie: staying in the powerband).

That is why it is called an "automatic" transmission.
And at any time you can even bypass that and downshift directly to the lowest gear possible by flooring the pedal past the click point. And that's in any mode, M S or D.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

You need to floor the gas peddle to hit the kick down switch and then wait for the response. You are better off doing it yourself and controlling the throttle instead of just flooring it. Also, if you are dropping into second gear with the kick down you will just set off the traction control and loose the power you are looking for. Do it yourself, you have the option and you know the result opposed to just flooring it and wishing it does what you want. A lot of people went with the DCT transmission because they want auto shifting and the ability to select the gear they want. If you just want to floor it then go ahead but I am going to be in control.

Quote:
What...?

With an automatic, when u step on the pedal, the car DOWNSHIFTS automatically and without driver input, the car will find it's own efficient mean of accelerating you (ie: staying in the powerband).

That is why it is called an "automatic" transmission.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0