BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2015, 02:40 AM   #1
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 e82 128i

Steptronic Fluid Replacement

I imagine there are a million more 6MT's out there than Steptronic's and if it had been available when I purchased my 1, I would have MUCH rather had one but alas, I am rockin the auto and am curious about a fluid change. Now anything I've ever read about replacing automatic transmission fluid after 100,000 miles of use if not done regularly over that mileage ends with huge issues and I am wondering that again in this case. My transmission still operates flawlessly(ALWAYS DRIVE IN MANUAL MODE!!!) but just hitting 100,000 miles I am curious what others' outcomes have been when changing out fluid. All the horror stories regarding less than stellar vehicle's transmissions have been along the lines of "replaced my fluid after 100,000 miles and now it's slipping" or "just not right" can definitely scare someone away from ever doing it. BMW does state that it is lifetime fluid I believe but being into wanting to drive my car for another 100,000..200,000 and so on miles, I would like to do everything I can to take care of it, transmission included. It may be manufactured by GM but remember, to BMW's standards and in France nonetheless(at least it's Europe.) Any thoughts from other Steptronic owners or anyone...I know everyone on here is very fluid conscience so let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710 View Post
I imagine there are a million more 6MT's out there than Steptronic's and if it had been available when I purchased my 1, I would have MUCH rather had one but alas, I am rockin the auto and am curious about a fluid change. Now anything I've ever read about replacing automatic transmission fluid after 100,000 miles of use if not done regularly over that mileage ends with huge issues and I am wondering that again in this case. My transmission still operates flawlessly(ALWAYS DRIVE IN MANUAL MODE!!!) but just hitting 100,000 miles I am curious what others' outcomes have been when changing out fluid. All the horror stories regarding less than stellar vehicle's transmissions have been along the lines of "replaced my fluid after 100,000 miles and now it's slipping" or "just not right" can definitely scare someone away from ever doing it. BMW does state that it is lifetime fluid I believe but being into wanting to drive my car for another 100,000..200,000 and so on miles, I would like to do everything I can to take care of it, transmission included. It may be manufactured by GM but remember, to BMW's standards and in France nonetheless(at least it's Europe.) Any thoughts from other Steptronic owners or anyone...I know everyone on here is very fluid conscience so let me know.
There is a DIY on here about someone changing there own auto fluid and doing a UOA on it. At 100,000, I would definitely be changing your fluid, since it is most likely near the end of its life.

The GM auto does have a built in filter, but at your mileage, it is most likely spent. Issues with changing transmission fluid on autos are most likely related to "flushing" the tranny, that did not have a filter. You should just drain and fill, replace the filter and gasket. ECS can sell you an entire kit to do the job. Bavauto also might have a DIY video as well, but I'm not sure on that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
Quote:
There is a DIY on here about someone changing there own auto fluid and doing a UOA on it. At 100,000, I would definitely be changing your fluid, since it is most likely near the end of its life.

The GM auto does have a built in filter, but at your mileage, it is most likely spent. Issues with changing transmission fluid on autos are most likely related to "flushing" the tranny, that did not have a filter. You should just drain and fill, replace the filter and gasket. ECS can sell you an entire kit to do the job. Bavauto also might have a DIY video as well, but I'm not sure on that.
Just really concerns me, there's no going back if it creates any problems...expensive fix.
      03-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Could you kindly explain what flushing actually entails and why it might be the reason behind issues with other less than stellar vehicle makes and models....is the difference solely that ours have filters? Does that make the situation a bit more like an oil change? Never known the difference.
      03-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #5
Jim621
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just draining the gearbox only drains the oils in the sump pan (not in the torque converter), whereas flushing cycles clean oil through the box and dilutes the old stuff with new stuff which includes the oil in the torque converter. You use twice or three times as much oil to flush the box, but supposedly you end up with less old oil left in the box.
You could do the same by just draining and refilling the box with fresh oil, taking the car for a drive and then draining again and filling with more fresh oil. Same end result in my mind without the need to use an expensive flushing machine (so you can diy)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim621
Just draining the gearbox only drains the oils in the sump pan (not in the torque converter), whereas flushing cycles clean oil through the box and dilutes the old stuff with new stuff which includes the oil in the torque converter. You use twice or three times as much oil to flush the box, but supposedly you end up with less old oil left in the box.
You could do the same by just draining and refilling the box with fresh oil, taking the car for a drive and then draining again and filling with more fresh oil. Same end result in my mind without the need to use an expensive flushing machine (so you can diy)
The 135 DIY for the DCT has many comments from many seasoned veterans including Dackel stating that once you have drained and filled, plug it and start the car and run it through all gears and add more fluid with the car in gear and wheels spinning if possible and then drive around a bit and repeat the drain/fill/start car and shift through gears several times to get all old oil out if that's what you want to do. Does this constitute a flush or is this still not involving the torque converter therefore safer? Also, I read someone had dealership quote them $1100.00 for a drain and fill which is so ridiculous it makes me want to create a major complaint with BMWNA so totally want to perform this one on my own.
      03-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 135 DIY for the DCT has many comments from many seasoned veterans including Dackel stating that once you have drained and filled, plug it and start the car and run it through all gears and add more fluid with the car in gear and wheels spinning if possible and then drive around a bit and repeat the drain/fill/start car and shift through gears several times to get all old oil out if that's what you want to do. Does this constitute a flush or is this still not involving the torque converter therefore safer? Also, I read someone had dealership quote them $1100.00 for a drain and fill which is so ridiculous it makes me want to create a major complaint with BMWNA so totally want to perform this one on my own.
"Flushing" involves a machine forcing the new fluid through your tranny and "pushing" out the old. Theory is that forcing the new fluid through will dislodge chunks of metal garbage built up in your engine, that subsequently cause your tranny to fail. Your GM auto tranny does have a filter and magnet to collect most metal wear, so build up should be minimal (outside of the filter and magnet that is).

Changing the fluid properly in an old transmission will not destroy it and most likely the tranny was already gone at the point people changed the fluid (especially if the old fluid was black/burnt). Doing a drain and fill should not harm your tranny. Since you have to drop the pan to change your fluid, a large percentage will be replaced with one simple drain and fill. I would send a sample of your old fluid to Blackstone for an analysis. I've seen several examples of tranny fluid from the GM tranny at 90-100,000 miles, and while it was time for a fluid change, they were not that bad.

By the way "lifetime" to BMW for a fluid is 100,000 miles.

Last edited by Iron Man; 03-27-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"Flushing" involves a machine forcing the new fluid through your tranny and "pushing" out the old. Theory is that forcing the new fluid through will dislodge chunks of metal garbage built up in your engine, that subsequently cause your tranny to fail. Your GM auto tranny does have a filter and magnet to collect most metal wear, so build up should be minimal (outside of the filter and magnet that is).

Changing the fluid properly in an old transmission will not destroy it and most likely the tranny was already gone at the point people changed the fluid (especially if the old fluid was black/burnt). Doing a drain and fill should not harm your tranny. Since you have to drop the pan to change your fluid, a large percentage will be replaced with one simple drain and fill. I would send a sample of your old fluid to Blackstone for an analysis. I've seen several examples of tranny fluid from the GM tranny at 90-100,000 miles, and while it was time for a fluid change, they were not that bad.

By the way "lifetime" to BMW for a fluid is 100,000 miles.
Interesting to know and I kind of figure most of the things or even all rated "lifetime" in these cars would be probably 100,000 miles...probably a good idea to think about coolant as well considering the "lifetime" situation it is part of as well.
      03-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting to know and I kind of figure most of the things or even all rated "lifetime" in these cars would be probably 100,000 miles...probably a good idea to think about coolant as well considering the "lifetime" situation it is part of as well.
If you want to run it until 200,000 miles or more, I would change the coolant as well at 100,000 miles. Might want to think about pre-emptively changing the water pump/t-stat at the same time.

PS: Check out the DIY by member "Rated-M3" in June 2014. He has a detailed fluid change of the Steptronic tranny, plus a UOA of the fluid at ~50,000 miles.

Last edited by Iron Man; 03-27-2015 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
If you want to run it until 200,000 miles or more, I would change the coolant as well at 100,000 miles. Might want to think about pre-emptively changing the water pump/t-stat at the same time.

PS: Check out the DIY by member "Rated-M3" in June 2014. He has a detailed fluid change of the Steptronic tranny, plus a UOA of the fluid at ~50,000 miles.
BAVAUTO has a great DIY video replacing the water pump and thermostat...makes anyone look as though they could do it. Only thing that might make it a little easier would be having a lift available to get under there rather than having such a small amount of room on the ground under the car. I would imagine that BMW charges a fortune to do the water pump/t-stat even if I were to provide the two. I may end up looking for someone to do it for me for a little under the table job with me present making sure it's done and done correctly.
      04-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This. Just changed my 09' trans fluid and filter at 50k. Could have waited but I'm usually conservative given the BMW Lifetime interval..

Probably one of the more complicated things to do on your car if you don't have the right equipment such as a lift and a pump. BMW sure doesn't make it easy! Next on my list is water pump/thermostat/spark plugs around 75-100k