BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Are you getting -2 without camber plates?
One way to get there without plates is to lower your car about 1.25" on the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetey View Post
Oz for what it's worth, your translation is correct

Be advised though that most manufacturers set the suspension of the car they hand over for testing to a more agressive setup. Since testing is done on the Nordschleife I'd wager that the posted values for camber at least are NOT stock values.
Thanks for that. You might be right on it, though there were no remarks in the printed issue. That is why the factory suggested range of settings is more important than a particular car's measured value.

By the way, Supertest takes the car to two tracks: Hockenheim Short and Nordschleife and most measurement (like acceleration, braking etc.) takes place on Hockenheim. Even though most manufacturers may set their cars to their best setting before Sport Auto receive them, I kind of doubt that BMW took the risk of making that 1M "too right" and maybe step on the toes of a M3 with an official time going too far. The result was a convenient 10 sec. difference in favor of M3 (von Saurma driving both), 1M was quicker on the shorter Hockenheim track. Interesting to note that test driver von Saurma was not comfortable at all regarding the suspension and rear end of the 1M
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-14-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

UPDATE with new camber plates

After receiving my Vorshlag camber plates some time ago I installed them and made an alignment which did not go as great as I wished for, it was mostly good but I figured there is something not very right and I needed a re-alignment, which I did a few days ago.

This is a street driven car on stock suspension, stock ride height and stock size Michelin PSS tires; so I dialed this time the following numbers:

- 1.7 left and right camber (front)
0.04 toe (pretty minimum, I believe equals to 1/16") left and right (front)
stock caster (the machine showed 7.2 for one side and a bit less than 7 for the other side)

Rear was untouched, both camber and toe.

I just couldn't be happier. The difference with fully stock car is sensational and totally positive even if it is limited just to "street" (read: not track but aggressive whenever possible) driving. It turns willingly, feels very agile but also stable both going straight at high speeds (up to 240 km/h I tested) and it is really comfortable and feels very safe in traffic at low speeds too. I found this as a sweet spot and I will keep it as it is for sometime, so much so that now I start wondering if larger than stock tires are really necessary for a car which doesn't see track days or competition.

I feel that anything else as an eventual third step can be more camber still, maybe up to -2.0 but first I need to get bored of existing set up and find some understeer or laziness on the street.

If there is anyone on the fence thinking that they don't track so why need a camber plate, or instead of camber plates one should just go for a full suspension upgrade, I sincerely suggest try the camber plates first and search for your "best" alignment, this may be one of the very best mods that all 1Ms should try and enjoy.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
After receiving my Vorshlag camber plates some time ago I installed them and made an alignment which did not go as great as I wished for, it was mostly good but I figured there is something not very right and I needed a re-alignment, which I did a few days ago.

This is a street driven car on stock suspension, stock ride height and stock size Michelin PSS tires; so I dialed this time the following numbers:

- 1.7 left and right camber (front)
0.04 toe (pretty minimum, I believe equals to 1/16") left and right (front)
stock caster (the machine showed 7.2 for one side and a bit less than 7 for the other side)

Rear was untouched, both camber and toe.

I just couldn't be happier. The difference with fully stock car is sensational and totally positive even if it is limited just to "street" (read: not track but aggressive whenever possible) driving. It turns willingly, feels very agile but also stable both going straight at high speeds (up to 240 km/h I tested) and it is really comfortable and feels very safe in traffic at low speeds too. I found this as a sweet spot and I will keep it as it is for sometime, so much so that now I start wondering if larger than stock tires are really necessary for a car which doesn't see track days or competition.

I feel that anything else as an eventual third step can be more camber still, maybe up to -2.0 but first I need to get bored of existing set up and find some understeer or laziness on the street.

If there is anyone on the fence thinking that they don't track so why need a camber plate, or instead of camber plates one should just go for a full suspension upgrade, I sincerely suggest try the camber plates first and search for your "best" alignment, this may be one of the very best mods that all 1Ms should try and enjoy.
Oz - any sense of what stock front camber was?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Oz - any sense of what stock front camber was?
Sorry but no, not exactly. It was hectic time first time we put the car ready for alignment, store was waiting to be closed and everyone was late because of the longer than expected install of Vorshlag plates. I was paying atention to something else and did not catch what appeared on the monitor about stock camber value before the technican started playing with it. At the time, this kind of bothered me too but I wouldn't take it as absolute anyway, so not that important for me anymore.

From the remarks of difference between stock and what we did at that day, I believe it was something at - 1.20s but I can't say it for sure.
Appreciate 0