BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #67
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye
Oh i love burbles, but i mean these are literally miniature explosions coming out of the exhaust. Enough to scare other drivers and pedestrians. I'll try to grab a clip of them one time, they specifically ONLY happen while decel from 3.5k down to 3k.

The other thing i really dislike about the resonator is if i'm decelling from above 5k it has this horrid raspyness that i really don't like. Safe to say i'll be having the stock resonator welded back on whenever i get the time to do so.
Quite sure even with your old setup (pre headers) there was some small explosions too. I'm currently running the 135i muffler with no resonator and when I blip the throttle at around 3k it makes a loud bang or a combination of fire cracker noises lol
I actually love them, scares the crap out of people
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #68
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook View Post
Quite sure even with your old setup (pre headers) there was some small explosions too. I'm currently running the 135i muffler with no resonator and when I blip the throttle at around 3k it makes a loud bang or a combination of fire cracker noises lol
I actually love them, scares the crap out of people
Before the delete of my primary cats my setup was perfect, Loud enough to enjoy without being heard miles away. since i deleted the primary cats it's like .22 rifle rounds being shot out of my exhaust at 3k LOL. I'll get some video tomorrow with my gopro since i need to go grab some parts for my dirt bike. I'll see if i can get a better 0-60 pull too.

Last edited by 631twentyeighteye; 03-25-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #69
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Before the delete of my primary cats my setup was perfect, Loud enough to enjoy without being heard miles away. since i deleted the primary cats it's like .22 rifle rounds being shot out of my exhaust at 3k LOL. I'll get some video tomorrow with my gopro since i need to go grab some parts for my dirt bike. I'll see if i can get a better 0-60 pull too.
This +1 and don't baby shift that shit either! Bang those gears lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #70
NA_Villhauser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT, sport pack

I will be adding the Supersprint muffler shortly as well. I recently installed the SS header already having the PE and the sound below 4k was awful and painfully loud! Above 4k the setup sounded great.

I looked like a real A-hole though making an insane racket just to match the pace of a granny in an old buick off a stoplight!

I threw the stock muffler back on after 3 days! In the process I did a quick test with no muffler. Guess what?! Not much different than PE with headers!! With the stock muffler back on the car is almost back to stock volume and I've lost my wonderful popping and burbling on the overrun.

I'm hoping Supersprint will be a middleground between the 2 setups.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #71
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA_Villhauser View Post
I will be adding the Supersprint muffler shortly as well. I recently installed the SS header already having the PE and the sound below 4k was awful and painfully loud! Above 4k the setup sounded great.

I looked like a real A-hole though making an insane racket just to match the pace of a granny in an old buick off a stoplight!

I threw the stock muffler back on after 3 days! In the process I did a quick test with no muffler. Guess what?! Not much different than PE with headers!! With the stock muffler back on the car is almost back to stock volume and I've lost my wonderful popping and burbling on the overrun.

As someone running it currently, I certainly think so. I should get a video up.
      03-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #72
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Quote:

Did you already sell the PE?

Last edited by cmcdonald; 03-29-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #73
NA_Villhauser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonald View Post
Did you already sell the PE?
Not yet. Are you interested? It has about 20k on it but the sound got better and better as time went on!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #74
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Quote:
Not yet. Are you interested? It has about 20k on it but the sound got better and better as time went on!
Yeah I might be. Shoot me a pm with your price. I'm located in Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #75
NA_Villhauser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
As someone running it currently, I certainly think so. I should get a video up.
Thats great to hear.

I should have my tuned file back from evolve tomorrow Your writeups really made my decision on ECU tuning easier!

I feel like it's Christmas morning now that I've bought the car off lease I can do everything I've been dreaming about for the past 3 years. CDV delete, headers, and DISA manifold all in the past couple weeks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #76
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thats great to hear.

I should have my tuned file back from evolve tomorrow Your writeups really made my decision on ECU tuning easier!

I feel like it's Christmas morning now that I've bought the car off lease I can do everything I've been dreaming about for the past 3 years. CDV delete, headers, and DISA manifold all in the past couple weeks!
Ha, that must be fun
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #77
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats great to hear.

Prepare for a transformed car!

Next stop, suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #78
NA_Villhauser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Prepare for a transformed car!

Next stop, suspension.
The car already pulls noticably harder even without the tune, which BTW, evolve did not deliver today as they had promised. Hopefully I will have it tomorrow. It sounds like they're swamped right now.

The header made a difference right off the bat, but the DISA manifold wasn't really noticable with no tune. Hopefully that should change soon

Suspension will probably happen sometime this summer. I'm trying not to drain my bank account all at once. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the TC Kline as thats probably my top pick at the moment along w/ m3 front control arms and rear subframe bushings if budget allows.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #79
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car already pulls noticably harder even without the tune, which BTW, evolve did not deliver today as they had promised. Hopefully I will have it tomorrow. It sounds like they're swamped right now.

The header made a difference right off the bat, but the DISA manifold wasn't really noticable with no tune. Hopefully that should change soon

Suspension will probably happen sometime this summer. I'm trying not to drain my bank account all at once. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the TC Kline as thats probably my top pick at the moment along w/ m3 front control arms and rear subframe bushings if budget allows.
I have nothing but good things to say about TCK. They have been in the suspension business for year, and focus on the strut first.

Good article on him and our lowly 128i:

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/101...machine?page=1
      04-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #80
NA_Villhauser
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have nothing but good things to say about TCK. They have been in the suspension business for year, and focus on the strut first.

Good article on him and our lowly 128i:

http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/101...machine?page=1
Thanks! I've read this. The upside of leasing for 3 years, and being limited in the mods I could make, is plenty of time to research!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #81
loco
Private
Rep
Drives: Grey 135i

Quote:
Next stop, suspension.
G'day TheSt|G. Greetings from Australia.

I'm about to slightly hijack this thread as it seems almost finished.

i recently obtained an E87 130i 6MT hatch for my daughter. She is 22 and prefers to drive a "stick shift". How good is that? We call it a "manual" by the way.
I don't believe this car was sold in the US but I may be wrong.

What I'm after is some info on how to improve the suspension to make it handle better because she plans to give it some time on the track. My problem of course is how to find out what bits to replace and where to get them since the E87 is not mentioned on sites such as Turner Motorsports, TC Kline etc.
Do other 1 series parts fit the E87 is another question.

Parts pretty well have to be obtained from the US in most instances as they are prohibitively expensive to purchase locally. Ordering the right part is obviously critical.
Which bits to replace? Front sway, rear sway, rear control arm (there appears to be only one), any other bushes, camber plates (which brand) leaving shocks etc to last. There appears any number of shocks springs and coil over choices.

Brakes she doesn't need at the moment as the front rotors and pads are new.
Braided lines would be good but again are they common across all cars.

Any info would be good and be very appreciated even if sent via pm to avoid further hijack.

Also, I picked you because after reading only scores of posts, your id keeps popping up.

I'd read more posts but not knowing the similarities between models, there doesn't seem much point.

To give an example of Australian retail thievery, a 2007 130i costs over $20,000
and our dollar roughly equals yours.

Thanks again for any help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #82
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
White line or nolathane or superpro bushings for the subframe are a great start for auzzies
Nolathane is cheapest

All options will be cheaper than Oem m3 subframe bushes

From there at the very least all shocks need to be replaced because they are made for Runflats.
A good budget spring shock kit is koni Str.t or the koni yellow sport kit. Others like hr cup kit or Bilstien b12

M3 front Arms or the trw m3 arms
Rears arms can work too (only 2 unless you change your shocks )

That should be enough for a basic suspention to get you thinking

Stig can talk about what coilovers are available

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #83
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

What's your budget and intended usage?
      08-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #84
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

foooooooooooooooooortune autoooooooooooooooo!

and KW
s are pretty decent as well...along with TC klines
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #85
loco
Private
Rep
Drives: Grey 135i

Not looking at shocks until we replace the bushes etc.
Appreciate 0