BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Someone hit my car : (((((

Ahhhh

I don't know what to do. All I know is that yesterday morning my car DID not look like this. The thing is, I have no idea who the culprit is!!! I left school(university) when it was already dark, so I didn't see anything because I never have anything in my trunk and I parked in reverse. The car behind me seemed parked fine as much as I can remember, but I got school at 8:30 am so it could have been anywhere from 8:30 am to 7 pm...

Also, last night, my neighbors were having a party, and there were a lot of cars parked. There was a FREAKING HUGE RV parked like 3 inches behind me. I have to park in front of my house because our garage only has 2 spots and we have 4 cars, and our garage is in the front(no alleyway).

The RV left early this morning before I even got up, so I don't know if it was them or not, but that is the only thing that hit me that I can assume so far : |.

Also, it had to be something square... as it left no scratches or paint damage.. just a dent.

I live in a new neighborhood and there are a ton of construction trucks and such because of new houses they are building, so it could be one of them as well : |

I didn't notice until now when I finished my class and went to my trunk to drop off books and saw it. As you can tell from the pic, I always leave good space behind me(our parking spots are big).

What do I do??
      04-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Call your insurance company and tell them what happened....most will cover it.

Also I would report a hit and run to the police. Make sure you tell your insurance company you are going to do this.
      04-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
Call your insurance company and tell them what happened....most will cover it.

Also I would report a hit and run to the police. Make sure you tell your insurance company you are going to do this.
ok I will. I am also going to talk to my neighbors first. They had the party, and I am sure they know who was driving the RV.
      04-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
ok I will. I am also going to talk to my neighbors first. They had the party, and I am sure they know who was driving the RV.
I wouldnt even bother...if the person was the type of person to smash into your car and drive away they are definitely the type of person to lie about it.

Chances are they have wiped off any evidence of red paint from their car or RV at this point. You will just cause yourself some unnecessary drama. Just let the insurance and police handle everything.

Also just take a breath...I know you are freaking out a bit about this...but it will all be fixed within the next month or so.

Last edited by Aries932; 04-22-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
TJ bmw135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Garage List
2008 135i Vert  [0.00]
+1. Work with the insurance and Police. Even aksing the neighbor will appear to be accusing them and it won't change the events to getting it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Nothin you really can do. My friends car was parked parallel and some car smashed in the drivers door and didn't leave anything... needless to say the car had to be towed b/c it was sealed shut and impossible to get in the seat.

Just call your insurance and let them know. The most that you will be paying is a deductible. Hopefully yours isn't too high!
      04-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

At least it is drivable! When the dealership or body shop gets the new bumper, or whatever you need then you can just bring it in for a quick swap. Maybe you can upgrade the bumper to a 135i bumper. I know some people do that. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Something similar happened to me recently (luckily it was only a Mazda 3)..

I made a police report, there were some witnesses and I was able to track down the person who hit my car, using the internet . Now the police are handling it entirely. They're going to bring the owner of the vehicle to court and I don't even need to show up.

If she doesn't show up to court, they'll release a warrant for her arrest.

So in my opinion it's worth talking to your neighbors. Just because they were THERE doesn't mean your neighbors aren't good people and aren't willing to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
hey man sorry to hear about that, I had a similar situation last year and all worked out well. So just calm down and in a few weeks it will look like new.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

1. Call police
2. Make Ins claim for uninsured motorist
3.Pay applicable deductible
4. Get car fixed, rate wont increase since this wont be an at-fault loss since you can file Uninsured motorist with the police report.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I'm sorry that happened but here is funny story about an "unlikely" collision. My car was parked in my State Farm insurance agents parking lot and the owner of that State Farm office backed into me with her SUV. Her hitch poked a nice square hole right through my bumper (not my BMW but my A3 when it was new). She fessed up but boy was she embarrassed. The point is, the most unlikely things do happen to cars at weird times and in weird places. I would never just drive away.

Last edited by Jayda; 04-25-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
DtE1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, MINI Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
I'm sorry that happened but here is funny story about an "unlikely" collision. My car was parked in my State Farm insurance agents parking lot and the owner of that State Farm office backed into me with her SUV. Her hitch poked a nice square hole right through my bumper (not my BMW but my A3 when it was new). She fessed up but boy was she embarrassed. The point is, the most unlikely things do happen to cars at weird times and in weird places. I would never just drive away.
A similar thing happened to me when parked on the street in front of my neighbor's house. She backed her Sequioa into my front bumper where her hitch put a square hole in the bumper. I suppose if I had a regular license plate holder, it would have mashed the plate. But I have tow hitch plate holder, so the only damage was to the bumper. They did not notify me of the damage and I did not notice the damage until four days later, but they paid for the replacement, no questions asked.

BTW, cost of replacing the bumper was within $50 of repairing it, so I went with replacement. Then had the clear bra reinstalled.

Wonder if your agent's premiums were increased due to the accident?