BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Big1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

Shops in Toronto

Hey guys,

Did a quick search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Maybe we can get a list of shops who specializes in BMW and have it stickied. I think it'd be great to have a list of options on where to take our cars to after warranty is up.

Maybe a quick summary, reason for taking your car in, service, price, overall experience, etc. and probably a rating system of 5 stars kind of thing.

I've heard places like bimmex, bimmersport, but also heard stories here and there that some have good and bad experience.

Just a quick thought, cause I'm looking for a place to get my brakes done.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

Try RMP.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
bimmersport is overpriced i went there once never going back
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Lakeside Motors BMW

A friend recommended Lakeside Motors. That's where he's been taking his E39 540i for the past couple of years. I haven't taken my car there yet (thinking about it for changing the manual transmission oil in my car) because its out of my way but let's see what recommendations people have on this thread.

I think this is their website:
http://www.lakesidemotors.ca/en/index.php

I did e-mail Mike (see his e-mail in the about section) for some service and price related questions and he responded promptly.

For me the most important thing is knowing an indie shop has at alot of experience with the E90 platform. I'm sure there are shops that know the older Bimmers well but I'd just feel more comfortable with one that sees alot of high mileage E90's. Doubt any indie will have a lot of experience with the 1er / E82 so having experience with the E90 is the next best thing I think. My gut tells me even the E90 is too new for most shops to have done serious post-warranty work to gain the experience but that's just my gut.

The same friend who recommended me this shop also found that buying the parts online (group buys, etc) and bringing them to Lakeside Motors to replace etc saved him money. That was his advice for servicing your Bimmer after warranty; try to get the parts yourself and bring it to the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
dcb
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

I have no experience other than seeing Bimmers there all the time. There is a shop on Woodbine north of Hwy 7 (south of Applecreek) on the west side...they share a parking lot with Home Hardware. Never been and don't know anyone who has but I have never seen anything but a BMW there...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Kuni1987
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Agreed with dcb. I'm a Markham fellow myself. I have driven passed the place your talking about and have never seen anything but a bmw infront. That being said I have been in the city for 10 years now and they have always been there, so I can only assume they do some what of a decent Job.

I recently just picked up my 1er. It hit 100k so I took it for its respective service to Sam's garage. They read the codes... (no faults), did an inspection, full oil change, and changed both the cabin and engine air filter. Cost me $355 parts and tax in. So no too bad, but not great either.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Big1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

After picking up my brother at Humber after work, I quickly visited RMP Motors. Couldn't remember the name of the fellow I was talking to but first impression was positive. Asked for a quote on brakes, gave him my contact, and awaiting on his call. They had 3 bmws parked outside when I was there, plus an alpha romeo. Their shop was clean, looked orderly, and overall appearance of the place was welcoming.

Going to visit Bimmex, Europa Motors down in Markham, and Lakeside Motors up in Scarborough in the next couple days and try to make my comparisons upon my visit.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Big1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I have no experience other than seeing Bimmers there all the time. There is a shop on Woodbine north of Hwy 7 (south of Applecreek) on the west side...they share a parking lot with Home Hardware. Never been and don't know anyone who has but I have never seen anything but a BMW there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuni1987 View Post
Agreed with dcb. I'm a Markham fellow myself. I have driven passed the place your talking about and have never seen anything but a bmw infront. That being said I have been in the city for 10 years now and they have always been there, so I can only assume they do some what of a decent Job.

I recently just picked up my 1er. It hit 100k so I took it for its respective service to Sam's garage. They read the codes... (no faults), did an inspection, full oil change, and changed both the cabin and engine air filter. Cost me $355 parts and tax in. So no too bad, but not great either.

Just my 2 cents
You guys are talking about Europa Motors.

I went there last night, and asked for a quote for brakes. They said roughly $1,100 for all four OEM replacements, taxes and labor in. I asked if they can source out any aftermarket parts, and they said no and that they only do OEM because they include a 2 year warranty on their parts and labor.

Now, RMP Motors got back to me and their figures were $1,200 for all four, which included EBC greenstuff, Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors, 2 sensors, and labor. Not sure if that's pricey or even a competitive number, can anyone ring in on this?

Anyways, going to check out Lakeside pretty soon.

On a sidenote, my friend who works at a wholesale dealership (buddy who actually found me my 1er) said that he can source out parts for any car. So, I asked him to find me parts. Will let you guys know what he can get. Supposedly he can get them at cost.

Updates soon to be posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm getting closer to needing brakes, got a quote from BMW and it was $1250 all in. With only $150 (10%) separating the 2 might be worth it to just get it from BMW... they'll be more likely to support you. Also, if you negotiate a bit it could likely come down even more?

Good to know about other shops though in case something pricey comes up! keep up posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Big1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_ride View Post
I'm getting closer to needing brakes, got a quote from BMW and it was $1250 all in. With only $150 (10%) separating the 2 might be worth it to just get it from BMW... they'll be more likely to support you. Also, if you negotiate a bit it could likely come down even more?

Good to know about other shops though in case something pricey comes up! keep up posted.
That's the thing, I was quoted on after market parts by rmp. Its still like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

I heard that BMW performance rotors, drilled I believe, would have set me back a couple more hundred. RMP did an OEM quote for just the fronts, and the figures were roughly $450 compared to $650 the dealership was offering.

Last edited by Big1; 02-10-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
R0n1n
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
That's the thing, I was quoted on after market parts by rmp. Its still like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

I heard that BMW performance rotors, drilled I believe, would have set me back a couple more hundred. RMP did an OEM quote for just the fronts, and the figures were roughly $450 compared to $650 the dealership was offering.
That sounds like a good discount, I'm looking for pads and rotors soon as well but want to upgrade while at it. Let me know what you find out on the other shops.
      02-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikijack View Post
Try RMP.
+1^