BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Lots of cars, including E92 M3s, with carbon fiber roofs, and no indication whatsover that they pose additional risks.

I don't believe there is any safety-related concern.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
You're not removing the structural pieces that hold the cars frame together, you're just removing the sheet of roof skin and replacing it with cf.
+1 similar reason why an E82 with sunroof opening in the roof is not considered less safe
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Everyone assumes their own level of personal risk. I'm a lot more confident trusting the PhD-level BMW engineers who have crashed and tuned the car for safety than some guy in a body shop with no degree and a glue gun.
Luckily I am one of those high level automotive engineers, granted I work for Honda/Acura in their body development group, but still.

The M3 uses the exact same style roof that is offered by Revozport and IND, and its attached in the same way. The headliner would protect the occupants from any loose shrapnel entering the cabin, and honestly if you crash bad enough to send large sharp shards of carbon fiber towards the passenger area, you've probably got bigger concerns.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

never even realised these roofs existed!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Luckily I am one of those high level automotive engineers, granted I work for Honda/Acura in their body development group, but still.

The M3 uses the exact same style roof that is offered by Revozport and IND, and its attached in the same way. The headliner would protect the occupants from any loose shrapnel entering the cabin, and honestly if you crash bad enough to send large sharp shards of carbon fiber towards the passenger area, you've probably got bigger concerns.
Good to have some real-world input! Powerbeast put a CF roof on his 1M, but I understand it was a huge PITA to do and obviously it's going to a very expensive way to shave a few pounds. Much more cost effective to add power if all you're looking to do is improve power to weight ratio.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Good to have some real-world input! Powerbeast put a CF roof on his 1M, but I understand it was a huge PITA to do and obviously it's going to a very expensive way to shave a few pounds. Much more cost effective to add power if all you're looking to do is improve power to weight ratio.
True, but it also lowers the center of gravity pretty significantly by taking a large sum of weight off of the highest point of the car, while only slightly decreasing traction with an increase in acceleration due to the weight loss. As opposed to a horsepower increase which will much more significantly reduce the rear wheel grip during low speed acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
I would avoid this at all costs. My original 1M was rolled and I very much doubt the driver (not me) would have walked away if it had some aftermarket CF roof. Given the state of the roof after the accident, I'd say the driver would probably be dead now.

There is NO good reason to do a CF roof. Not only will you dramatically lower the value of your 1M, you will put your life in danger. I'll be happy to send you photos of the wreck.
As someone mentioned before CF just replace the sheet metal - all structure component are intack. Also, if the CF roof was designed properly it should splinter after it exceeds its spec - there is no sharp shards flying anyway, and given the nature of most roll overs, it would be very unlikely. This actually dissipate more energy than a deformed roof. I can't say it for every manufacturer, but I have a few contacts that is how they are done.

Quote:
The purpose of the carbon roof is not about shedding total weight. It is about shedding weight at the top of the car which change the rolling characteristics to improve its handling. You will probably found that people who are looking at CF roof has already done other power mods, as they are definitely much cheaper if you just want a faster car.
Appreciate 0