BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fitting Michelin SuperSports

My rear tyres are getting slightly low on the old markers now, so I've ordered a full set of SuperSports for my car.

I've gone for stock sizes (245/35/19 Front and 265/35/19 Rear) and will put a few extra PSI in them as suggested on here.

However, how long have people found it takes to "run these tyres in"? By this I mean, how long until they stop feeling slippery and start feeling grippy?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

~400 kms.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Well going from worn PS2's to PSS - I never thought the new PSS's felt slick!

Jump on a freeway for ~40 miles, then have fun. At 100 miles go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Well going from worn PS2's to PSS - I never thought the new PSS's felt slick!

Jump on a freeway for ~40 miles, then have fun. At 100 miles go for it.
If you put it like that then maybe you are right. I passed from practically brand new 550 kms. PS2 to PSS and did not feel they were perfect for a minimum 300 kms. especially for braking. However, even at first few meters I could tell the overall grip was better than those new PS2s.

Chris, just go for a long ride, you will feel when they are more than enough for you to push
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I know how you can break in the rears the same day.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
how long until they stop feeling slippery and start feeling grippy?
Ha, the "soapbox" feeling, especially if all four tires are still new and max greasy.

My rule of thumb: one fuel tank (regardless low-range spirited driving or high-range Prius style driving).

Name:  SoapBoxDerbyRacer.jpg
Views: 6324
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  SoapBoxRacing.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  47.4 KB
      11-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

After reading the great reviews online, I decided to upgrade the tyres on my car and fit the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Although the fronts were fine, I don't like mixing tyres so opted to change all four tyres. A full four wheel alignment was also carried out as it they needed adjustment.

The results are quite staggering if I'm honest. The Super Sports have lot more grip, even though I've got to "scrub them in" over the next couple of hundred miles and its wet and greasy out there at the moment. The ride is also softer, the car doesn't rebound over bumps and it just feels super sticky around the corners

I'm looking forward to running them in properly and then having a good drive in the dry, but early impressions are very good and I'm impressed with them!

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

PSS is definitely a great road tyre, however, the feeling of it being softer is probably due to the new thread depth vs your relatively worn *PS2s. Also, once you wear them in over a couple thousand miles, you may notice the PSS makes a bit more road noise and will feel a tiny bit harsher over sharp bumps due to the stiffer construction vs similarly worn *PS2. Great tyres nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
PSS is definitely a great road tyre, however, the feeling of it being softer is probably due to the new thread depth vs your relatively worn *PS2s. Also, once you wear them in over a couple thousand miles, you may notice the PSS makes a bit more road noise and will feel a tiny bit harsher over sharp bumps due to the stiffer construction vs similarly worn *PS2. Great tyres nonetheless.
Thanks, it's good to know how they might change. To be honest as long as the grip is as good (or improves when they're scrubbed in) then I don't mind about the rest. So far I'm impressed at how they tackle the current wet greasy roads with such ability. Grip feels huge (not that I've pushed it) and I can't imagine what they'll be like in the dry!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why you really got that impression. Knowing how precise and objective you are in your posts I am sure that's what really happened to you, so I sincerely wonder why. Which car did you experience this and was it a full apples to apples swap between PS2 to PSS? Because I got my PSS set, stock size, just after 550 km. of my new 1M, the car was bone stock before and after, PSS being the sole difference; and all I got from first few meters was a better ride mated with better handling, balance and most of all, better traction. I admit it was not night and day difference but on any surface PSS was and after a few thousand kms. still is better (read softer, more comfortable) tire. I am not sure about the noise level, they both feel the same to me, great for such high performance tires. Maybe one day I'll put back my practically new PS2 set on again for a week or two just to see what I'll feel about them.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I don't know why you really got that impression. Knowing how precise and objective you are in your posts I am sure that's what really happened to you, so I sincerely wonder why. Which car did you experience this and was it a full apples to apples swap between PS2 to PSS? Because I got my PSS set, stock size, just after 550 km. of my new 1M, the car was bone stock before and after, PSS being the sole difference; and all I got from first few meters was a better ride mated with better handling, balance and most of all, better traction. I admit it was not night and day difference but on any surface PSS was and after a few thousand kms. still is better (read softer, more comfortable) tire. I am not sure about the noise level, they both feel the same to me, great for such high performance tires. Maybe one day I'll put back my practically new PS2 set on again for a week or two just to see what I'll feel about them.
Yes, full apples to apples on my M3 ZCP, I run both ZCP 359M wheels with *PS2s and the 18" 219M wheel which had brand new *PS2s and now running PSSs 3-4k miles. Ride quality difference is minuscule though, but definitely slightly noisier in terms of resonance "humming" (Michelin does state that the PSS has a slightly higher decibel level than the *PS2). But my experience is with 18" OEM sizes, where the PSS is a stiffer tyre than the *PS2s, which is evident in the specification differences. Perhaps things may be different with the 19". These are minor things in the end of the day. They are about the best road tyre out there at the moment. Will be changing my 359Ms to PSSs soon, so will be interesting to see what the differences are compared to 18 inch *PS2 to PSS.

Last edited by mlhj83; 11-17-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Do the Super Sports 265/35/19 Rears look as "Stretched" on the rear rims as the OEM Michelin PS2's?

Last edited by Zuzu; 11-17-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Do the Super Sports 265/35/19 Rears look as "Stretched" on the rear rims as the OEM Michelin PS2's?
Nope, the PSSs have a "squarer" shoulder than the *PS2s. Have seen this in person and you can see it in the above photos.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Nope, the PSSs have a "squarer" shoulder than the *PS2s. Have seen this in person and you can see it in the above photos.
+1. They don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
+1. They don't.
Thanks..

Wanted to go with the SuperSports 255/35 front and 275/35 rear setup..

Bit concerned now with 255 fronts as some have posted that the 245's rub, and my car has the H & R lowered springs setup.

1.2 inch lowered at front and 1/2 inch lowered at the rear..

Might just go with the SuperSports 245/35 fronts and 275/35 rears..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Thanks..

Wanted to go with the SuperSports 255/35 front and 275/35 rear setup..

Bit concerned now with 255 fronts as some have posted that the 245's rub, and my car has the H & R lowered springs setup.

1.2 inch lowered at front and 1/2 inch lowered at the rear..

Might just go with the SuperSports 245/35 fronts and 275/35 rears..
Generally, if you are going to upsize, it is safer to do so proportionally in a balanced manner. To do the rears and not the fronts is potentially a can of worms; it may work, it may not. More importantly is when the car is pushed to the limit e.g. in a high speed emergency manoeuvre, whether that slight amount of imbalance makes a difference to the outcome. Our DSC system is calibrated to OEM tyre sizes as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #18
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

That's why I stuck to the stock sizes. I can confirm that I've had no rubbing either with stock side PSS
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #19
Chris ABP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

I have the 275/35x19 SuperSports on the rear and they look great (I really didn't like the stretch effect look of the 265 PS2) but need to decide on the front size as tempted to fit 255 in place of the 245's.....

But I now have 3 months to decide as just fitted my 18" Winters with Michelin Alpins!

Now that was an interesting drive home with new Winters on a damp surface

My 19's have now been polished, weights removed ready to re-balance with some recently sourced black stick on weights which will look loads better on my gloss black 1M rims come next Spring!

Chris
      11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ABP View Post
I have the 275/35x19 SuperSports on the rear and they look great (I really didn't like the stretch effect look of the 265 PS2) but need to decide on the front size as tempted to fit 255 in place of the 245's.....
I'm in the same boat as you. 265 for the rears are stretched even for the PSS. 285/30 is probably the optimum size.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0