BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

A couple basic autocross questions. DSC on/off? Extra helmets for passengers?

I'm a total noob at this. I have my first event in three days.

1) Traction Control - On or off? Why? What do most drivers do? (Note: My car is a 135i with the stock runflats).

2) Helmets for Passengers - I have my own helmet (an open face Snell) but I was planning on bringing a friend to the event. She doesn't have a helmet. Is it usually possible to rent or borrow a helmet at the event? I realize this is an event-specific question, but what's your experience? Do people usually bring extras? Do event organizers usually have a rack of helmets for rental?

Thanks in advance everyone!
~ Jeremy
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Well the tc slows the car down, so I dont use it. Turn it off, and start off slowly the first times so you learn to handle the car.
On some trackdays i sometimes just push the dtc button once (Dont hold it for 3sec) if its alot of rain and my R tires have litle or no tread left. (if I dont want to go wiiide.)
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Helmets:

It really depends on the club. Some have loaner helmets, others do not. I would suggest calling or emailing the coordinator to ask.

DSC/DTC:

Both off. Even in the rain, both off. It'll take some more skill on your part, but it will give you faster times overall. If this is your first time, you might get a little bit better times with just the DTC showing, but you should be trying to learn to drive without it, on course at least
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post

DSC/DTC:

Both off. Even in the rain, both off. It'll take some more skill on your part, but it will give you faster times overall. If this is your first time, you might get a little bit better times with just the DTC showing, but you should be trying to learn to drive without it, on course at least

120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
mr.foo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
2) Helmets for Passengers - I have my own helmet (an open face Snell) but I was planning on bringing a friend to the event. She doesn't have a helmet. Is it usually possible to rent or borrow a helmet at the event? I realize this is an event-specific question, but what's your experience? Do people usually bring extras? Do event organizers usually have a rack of helmets for rental?
Most events I've been to in the Virginia / DC area offer free loaner helmets. The clubs want new people to be able to easily participate so loaners are common. Best to contact the club hosting the event you'll be attending. Also, if loaners aren't available, make a new friend by asking to borrow one from someone who isn't running the same time as you. Hope your friend enjoys it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

The helmet may not be the ultimate issue. You may not be able to carry a passenger that is not also registered as a driver for that event. Find that out first...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
The helmet may not be the ultimate issue. You may not be able to carry a passenger that is not also registered as a driver for that event. Find that out first...
That is a very good point. Man, that would be seriously lame!
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
If this is your first time, you might get a little bit better times with just the DTC showing, but you should be trying to learn to drive without it, on course at least
Wait, I thought DTC was a more aggressive type of DSC. I read the manual and it sounded like you only engage DTC when you're in snow, mud, rain etc because it's more likely to cut the power to wheels that are slipping. Did I misunderstand that?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
gyrfalcon
Ninja
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Wait, I thought DTC was a more aggressive type of DSC. I read the manual and it sounded like you only engage DTC when you're in snow, mud, rain etc because it's more likely to cut the power to wheels that are slipping. Did I misunderstand that?
You've got it backwards. Read the manual more carefully. One press DTC allows more wheel slip in order to get you moving in low traction conditions such as snow. Press and Hold = TIM YOYO mode.
      06-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe I'll try a few laps with DTC before I go no DSC/DTC.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The Boston Chapter requires instructors for all novices for at least 4 runs. If this really is your first event, and they offer instructors, make good use of them. There's nothing worse than seeing novices go off course over and over, get fed up because they are 20 seconds slower than their buddy (and cannot understand why), or continually hit the same cones over and over, just because they do not utilize the instruction made available.

Agree with others regarding the helmets. We have 6 loaner helmets, but they've been used by many people over the past few seasons. I wouldn't want to use them.

Btw, you'll learn the most about car control if you hold the traction control button for 5 seconds, to disable as many of the nannies as possible. Any autox school will tell you to disable everything you can (except ABS).

Btw, congrats for actually signing up for an event, and have a blast!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My vote also goes to disabling any and all driver aids. For most, Solo2 isn't as much about winning as it is a personal challenge of doing your best and having a good time. Quite frankly, traction and stability control (and ABS in some cases) do not equate to fun.

Give your local chapter a call about the helmets, they most likely have a loaner program at each event.
Appreciate 0