BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m2c

Car pulling left after alignment

I got an alignment about a week ago and I've noticed the car pulls slightly to the left when going above 55mph. So to go straight i have to have the steering wheel slightly to the right. The car did not do this with my winter wheels. And its not only annoying but under acceleration, the car at times temporary loses control, its pretty scary as i never fully know what is going to happen when i accelerate. I don't know much about the numbers involved withan aalignment. I have posted pictures of the printout they gave me. Think this is a problem that can be fixed? Lastly, will the current camber specs be okay for even tire wear? I am on stock suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Well imho the alignment sheet looks good. I'd say you likely have a problem in your suspension on the left front of the car. Maybe a bushing or wheel bearing or tie rod. I'm sure some smarter folks would have a better idea but I'd say to take the car to get the suspension looked at and take your alignment sheet and tell them what's occurring.
From your description it could be a safety concern so I'd get it diagnosed asap.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Maybe your steering wheel is off center? I've had this happen before. My wheel was about off center so straight for me was having the steering wheel turned to the right about 1-2 degrees. However, once in that position, the car would track perfectly straight. If you're car still wants to move around even after you point it straight then it may be something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Every thing looks good. Minus worn steering or suspension components, i don't see alot wrong here. The passenger side front, and rear toe in, is more aggressive than the driver side, but are within spec. I'd have the front suspension and steering system checked for issues.
      04-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

A pull is usually caused by the tires and not alignment related.

Try swapping the front tires left to right and see if the pull changes direction.

Although, is it just the steering wheel off center? At highway speeds, if you let go of the wheel does it ALWAYS pull to one side. Try left, middle and right lanes on the highway.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Good advice above... Sorry i forgot about that....
      04-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Also, if the summer tires were put on not at a dealer, check your tire pressures. A lot of aftermarket garages just put all tires at 32#, which is not even close for our cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
stubey
Rep
Drives: 135i 6mt

I have the same issue. ALWAYS pulls left. Got car aligned, then realigned. Rotated front wheels and it then pulled right. Dude said I probably have a radial pull. So I replaced front tires. Still pulled left. No apparent damage to anything, car only has 45k miles. Let me know if you figure something out cause i'm all out of ideas.

2009 135i w/kw v1 coilovers, alufelgen cs7, hankook v12
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #9
tony3series
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 35i M-Sport

I know this is an old thread but my car is doing the same thing. I have an X1. Only has 26k miles on it. Bought it at 24k miles. Car pulled left on highway pretty much right off the bat. Had alignment done and front tires swapped. Still pulls left. Next I'm going to take apart front brakes and replace rotors/pads/grease up calipers etc. Might be a sticking caliper. It's weird because my front right rotor has some deep grooves in it but the car is pulling left. Maybe the inner pad/rotor on front left is sticking. I'll update if I figure it out.

Any other suggestions? Doesn't seem like wheel bearing. I don't hear any noises turning one way or the other and the car has low miles etc. Shop said other components of suspension seem solid when I got alignment done.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

here is how I check for a sticking caliper. Drive car for 10 miles or so on a very quiet road, actually even interstate. After some time, let the car come to a stop without using the brakes. Go outside and feel the center of the 4 wheels for heat. Obviously there should be almost none. If one is hot, you have a sticking caliper.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
here is how I check for a sticking caliper. Drive car for 10 miles or so on a very quiet road, actually even interstate. After some time, let the car come to a stop without using the brakes. Go outside and feel the center of the 4 wheels for heat. Obviously there should be almost none. If one is hot, you have a sticking caliper.
No touching the actual brakes...and tap lightly until you know just how hot it is!!!

Super handy for lots of stuff...

http://www.harborfreight.com/infrare...ter-93984.html

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #12
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Assuming your tyres are all worn fairly evenly, with minimal feathering on the edges etc then I'd return the car for a re-alignment and ask them to try harder and at least have equal toe on each side. I'm not quite an expert yet but when diagnosing these issues you want a good baseline so that means new properly inflated tyres, and perfect alignment. Also ask them to reset the steering angle sensor after the alignment and especially if the steering wheel has to be held at an angle to drive straight. The DSC will fight you slightly and can influence the car into a direction if it sees you trying to steer but the car is travelling straight. That, together with your negative rear thrust angle would shove the car left.

But that's just me. I'm pretty anal and if i have the time i will try my hardest to get things perfect. When i dont have the time i still put the effort in and cop it from the boss. Better than having a comeback. Heaps of shops will just push a car out if the alignment screen shows everything is 'green' even if the settings are not equal on both sides. Your camber is good and your front caster is perfect. Camber wont affect tyre wear as significantly as toe. Get them to even out the toe to ensure even wear.

As others suggested, sometimes it is the tyres. Swapping them side to side may provide relief. If you can, borrow a set of new tyres and test drive it.
Appreciate 0