BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Cavs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Anyone here running an Alpina or EU/US Sport gearbox flash?

I know there are a couple of Alpina versions out but people tend to say that driving around in D shift is pretty terrible. Being in the city I spend 90% of the time in D so would it be worth flashing or is the shifting not as bad as they say it is?

Which flash would have the better option for the D shift?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

For what it's worth I don't know what version I have, but I live in Florida.

In stop and go traffic, I tend to shift into manual mode and leave it in M2 so the transmission never has to shift. Leaving the Alpina flash in D mode in stop and go traffic...I just couldn't do it. I would feel so bad asking the transmission to shift so much.

- Chris
      01-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

I've tried Alpina, US Sport amongst others and settled on "ZB 7603527 BMW 2011 Flash". It does not have the gear indicator like Alpina, it's not as aggressive as Alpina in M mode but it's a good all around TCU flash.

Honestly I could not stand the early shifting in D mode that I had with the B3. Apparently there is a way to modify torque request tables via ECU flash to fix the early shifting in D mode but I have no idea on how to accomplish this.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:00 AM   #4
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Alpina Flash is the only way to go with driving in M, manual shifts are really quick, twin clutch like, D is horrible and I just accept it. Ive had ptf adjust the torque request tables via ECU flash but its still shit.

I just never drive in D.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
VazzVenom
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I did the flash and never drive in D anymore unless it's raining hard. D is bad enough that you'll change your driving habits. M is good enough that you'll be okay with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
I got the Alpina flash tune on my car, and I agree "D" is horrible.

But I always use "D" for my daily commute, I noticed that "D" saves significant amount of petrol compared to "DS" and "M". I am guessing because of how early the shift points are, it just rides the torque to get moving instead of revving the engine high.

For me, "D" = Daily, it's econo mode, just to get through my daily commute, from point A to B. So it's not too bad!

Any kind of spirited driving though, I always chuck in "DS" or "M" instantly. I don't even bother driving to put my foot down in "D".

But anyway, Alpina TCU tune will be obsolete soon. A company by the name of xHP have cracked the ZF6HP21 TCU and are working on custom tunes. It'll be something like MHD that can just be flashed using an android tablet (or a PC).

Here's a video of the tune they created for the diesel 325d.

Hold tight, a custom TCU tune for the 335i is on its way

01-29-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post
I got the Alpina flash tune on my car, and I agree "D" is horrible.

But I always use "D" for my daily commute, I noticed that "D" saves significant amount of petrol compared to "DS" and "M". I am guessing because of how early the shift points are, it just rides the torque to get moving instead of revving the engine high.

For me, "D" = Daily, it's econo mode, just to get through my daily commute, from point A to B. So it's not too bad!

Any kind of spirited driving though, I always chuck in "DS" or "M" instantly. I don't even bother driving to put my foot down in "D".

But anyway, Alpina TCU tune will be obsolete soon. A company by the name of xHP have cracked the ZF6HP21 TCU and are working on custom tunes. It'll be something like MHD that can just be flashed using an android tablet (or a PC).

Here's a video of the tune they created for the diesel 325d.

Hold tight, a custom TCU tune for the 335i is on its way

Very interesting info. This could be a great combo with MHD.

I'm also running the Alpina flash and like you I don't mind the D-mode as an economical cruise mode. I always use M mode for spirited drives though. I think having both modes really expands the breadth of the car. Soft and smooth when you need it and quick and responsive when you want it.